Amp/dac for iPod classic/iphone5 and Sennheiser HD650?
Feb 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bay24

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am quite new to headfi so in need of some advice. I am quite tied to apple products and managed to pick up some HD650 for a good price so I now need to think about a portable amp or one of the dac/amp products for idevices like the godap. The setup needs to be portable and I do not listen at extremely high listening levels but I want to get the best I can from the HD650's.
any help would be great!

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Hi,
I am quite new to headfi so in need of some advice. I am quite tied to apple products and managed to pick up some HD650 for a good price so I now need to think about a portable amp or one of the dac/amp products for idevices like the godap. The setup needs to be portable and I do not listen at extremely high listening levels but I want to get the best I can from the HD650's.
any help would be great!

do you have a set budget? 
algorhythm solo dB and and/or one of ray samuel's portable amps. Sony PHA-1 is another one.

If you're towards the budget, the O2 from jdslabs would do the job for an amp. As for a DAC, I'm not sure if the idevice will have a USB interface (saw somewhere on the forums that the ipad was the only one w/ a USB interface for keyboards). Otherwise, the ODAC a DAC to look at. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
do you have a set budget? 
algorhythm solo dB and and/or one of ray samuel's portable amps. Sony PHA-1 is another one.

If you're towards the budget, the O2 from jdslabs would do the job for an amp. As for a DAC, I'm not sure if the idevice will have a USB interface (saw somewhere on the forums that the ipad was the only one w/ a USB interface for keyboards). Otherwise, the ODAC a DAC to look at. 

Quote:

If you're towards the budget, the O2 from jdslabs would do the job for an amp.

Isn't the 02 rather larger than most are willing to carry, even if it is battery powered? It's a bag amp rather than a pocket amp, yes?

As for a DAC, I wouldn't bother: the iPod's jitter is below audible levels, so trying to improve on it isn't a great use of money.

Other than, there are lots of threads oh amps for the 650, so I'd use the search.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Isn't the 02 rather larger than most are willing to carry, even if it is battery powered? It's a bag amp rather than a pocket amp, yes?

As for a DAC, I wouldn't bother: the iPod's jitter is below audible levels, so trying to improve on it isn't a great use of money.

Other than, there are lots of threads oh amps for the 650, so I'd use the search.

I don't think of it as terrible large lol. Maybe a pocket in the jacket? But he never specified the size, so I juts gave another option for him :D

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

The O2 is a little on the large size by the looks of things. I am not going to be listening on the move but it does need to be quite portable as I am going to be going from office to office at work. I was thinking of something that I could strap to the iPod/iphone. I have had a look at some other threads and most recomendations are for desktop solutions, I am aware from what I have read that they are quite hard to drive so wanted to know if I need to be selective with amps. 
I did not really have a strict budget, I was looking at things like the godapx and fostex hp-p1 but if the hefty price tags do not make a big difference in sound to bypass the dac on the iphone/pod then I am happy to just get an amp. I have been told that the iphone 5sound from the headphone out or the new dock connector is not very good though which is mainly why I was thinking about the godapx and fostex. 
Many specific recomendations for portable amps that go well with idevices and the HD650 would be good or if any of the amp and dac options like the Godapx or fostex would be okay with the HD650.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 18
Lots of good things about the godapx or fostex if you really want the external DAC otherwise I would recommend the Headstage Arrow 4G. Excellent sound quality with iDevices and has a great small form factor along with great flexibility with 3 bass and 3 treble settings.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 18
if you want to bypass the iphone dac, theres not too many products out there
algorithm solo plus amp is one of the pricier options, sony, fostex
my pick would be the upcoming centrance m8- competitive price, eq, and supposed to have highest power output

if bypassing the dac isnt important, there are plenty of cheaper amps that can be used with LOD (jds labs, fiio...etc)

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Lots of good things about the godapx or fostex if you really want the external DAC otherwise I would recommend the Headstage Arrow 4G. Excellent sound quality with iDevices and has a great small form factor along with great flexibility with 3 bass and 3 treble settings.

Thanks for your response!
Do you think the fostex or godapx would be able to drive the hd650? Some advice I got from another thread suggested they would struggle.
I had looked at the headstage arrow, does this have the power to drive the HD650 well?

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
if you want to bypass the iphone dac, theres not too many products out there
algorithm solo plus amp is one of the pricier options, sony, fostex
my pick would be the upcoming centrance m8- competitive price, eq, and supposed to have highest power output

if bypassing the dac isnt important, there are plenty of cheaper amps that can be used with LOD (jds labs, fiio...etc)

The centrance m8 does look like a good option, do you know how much it will cost and if it is going to be available in the UK?

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for your response!
Do you think the fostex or godapx would be able to drive the hd650? Some advice I got from another thread suggested they would struggle.
I had looked at the headstage arrow, does this have the power to drive the HD650 well?

Not sure about the power for the cans but quite a few people using those for cans on here. Check out the pictures of your portable rig thread and you see a bunch of those being used with cans. Sorry but I mostly use IEMs.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 18
I don't know which iPhone you have but I am very happy with the 4s. Maybe get a cheaper amp only initially. Even if you exchange it for something with a DAC at least you will know why.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
The centrance m8 does look like a good option, do you know how much it will cost and if it is going to be available in the UK?

they are supposed to go for $700 usd
i think most people are going to buy directly from their US website as theres the option for different inputs (spdif/apple/PC usb) and different outputs (3pin dual xlr/ 4 pin)
they should be able to ship internationally but those in the UK got their taxes...
these are said to drive the hifiman he-6 so no worries about power

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 18

ashmy price are supposed to go for $700 usd
i think most people are going to buy directly from their US website as theres the option for different inputs (spdif/apple/PC usb) and different outputs (3pin dual xlr/ 4 pin)
they should be able to ship internationally but those in the UK got their taxes...
these are said to drive the hifiman he-6 so no worries about power

I think that is a bit out of my price range for now. especially with the import tax. I am thinking about the O2 now, looking at it it may work okay as I am not going to be walking around with it. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Postd by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't knokno w whch iPhone you have but I am very happy with the 4s. Maybe get a cheaper amp only initially. Even if you exchange it for something with a DAC at least you will know why.

I Am starting to think this could be a good idea. I will be using a 7gen classic for my music and an iphone 5 for spotify. I was thinking the O2 or the new fiio e12 perhaps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back