Amp/Dac for Dt 770 pro 80 ohm
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hallonsaft

New Head-Fier
Hello there people :)

Bought a pair of dt 770s a week ago and have been using them with Fiio e11 since I've been on the road.Now however I'm back home and when I plug them into my pc the sound is so weak,I can have high volumes but the sound is "empty" Don't really know how to explain this better...So I thought an dedicated Amp/Dac would solve my problem and was just about to order Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD when I came across someone claiming that a specific pair of phones compliment a specific amp/dac. So I thought I'd ask you guys what kind of budget dac amp I should get. And because the dt 770s have so much bass,should you get something without any bassboost? Well as you noticed I don't know so much about these stuff so will leave it to you headfi'ers ^^

Don't know if this matters..But my Mb is 990 fxa ud7.

Thank you in advance :)

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
Hello there people :)

Bought a pair of dt 770s a week ago and have been using them with Fiio e11 since I've been on the road.Now however I'm back home and when I plug them into my pc the sound is so weak,I can have high volumes but the sound is "empty" Don't really know how to explain this better...So I thought an dedicated Amp/Dac would solve my problem and was just about to order Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD when I came across someone claiming that a specific pair of phones compliment a specific amp/dac. So I thought I'd ask you guys what kind of budget dac amp I should get. And because the dt 770s have so much bass,should you get something without any bassboost? Well as you noticed I don't know so much about these stuff so will leave it to you headfi'ers ^^

Don't know if this matters..But my Mb is 990 fxa ud7.

Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone.
The DG can decently drive 250-Ohm headphone, so 80-Ohm is no problem.
The DG is $26 with a $10 mail in rebate, equals $16.

You get even plug your E11 into the DG's headphone/line-out jack.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone.
The DG can decently drive 250-Ohm headphone, so 80-Ohm is no problem.
The DG is $26 with a $10 mail in rebate, equals $16.

You get even plug your E11 into the DG's headphone/line-out jack.

Thanks for replying :)

So if I get the Asus Xonar Dgx I'll have to get something like Pro-Ject Head Box II right? And do you get something like eq settings with the soundcard? I'd like to reduce the bass a little bit. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for replying :)

So if I get the Asus Xonar DGX I'll have to get something like Pro-Ject Head Box II right? And do you get something like EQ settings with the sound card? I'd like to reduce the bass a little bit. 

Do not have to get an external headphone amplifier for using the DGX with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, but I'm not against getting a better headphone amplifier then the DGX's.

Previous Pro-ject Head Box II buyers are not that positive about it.
For the kind of cash for the Xonar DGX and the project head box, you can just get a Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Or get a used ($50) Xonar DX or D1 sound card and a few spare batteries for the E11.
Or the used Xonar DX/D1 and a $65 Muse tube headphone amplifier on Amazon.

eBay sells low cost solid state headphone amplifiers.
SMSL SAP-100, $65
TPA6120A2, $55

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Do not have to get an external headphone amplifier for using the DGX with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, but I'm not against getting a better headphone amplifier then the DGX's.

Previous Pro-ject Head Box II buyers are not that positive about it.
For the kind of cash for the Xonar DGX and the project head box, you can just get a Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Or get a used ($50) Xonar DX or D1 sound card and a few spare batteries for the E11.
Or the used Xonar DX/D1 and a $65 Muse tube headphone amplifier on Amazon.

eBay sells low cost solid state headphone amplifiers.
SMSL SAP-100, $65
TPA6120A2, $55

Thank you for replying again :)
Okey i got you now,but is it possible to only get the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround? I'd prefer external since all my pci slots are filled up by my 570s.So what I'm asking is: Is it possible to get something external instead of the asus cards? Budget is still very low,around 800 Kr ~75 Euro

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Okey i got you now,but is it possible to only get the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround? I'd prefer external since all my pci slots are filled up by my 570s.So what I'm asking is: Is it possible to get something external instead of the asus cards? Budget is still very low,around 800 Kr ~75 Euro

I really have no idea on the audio quality of external X-Fi stuff.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Even a decent soundcard will be better than the PC.
However, since you already have an amp, you can just get a USB DAC if you're only going to listen to music, and not planning to use any 5.1 speakers etc. A USB DAC in this range will be pretty good, maybe better than soundcard. Moreover you can always change your amp later if you want to.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Even a decent soundcard will be better than the PC.
However, since you already have an amp, you can just get a USB DAC if you're only going to listen to music, and not planning to use any 5.1 speakers etc. A USB DAC in this range will be pretty good, maybe better than soundcard. Moreover you can always change your amp later if you want to.

Hello there :)
You must also know that my amp,fiio e11 cannot be used while its charging..So it's almost no idea using it. Anyhow do you have any thoughts on the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround? 

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Hello there :)
You must also know that my amp,fiio e11 cannot be used while its charging..So it's almost no idea using it. Anyhow do you have any thoughts on the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround? 

Sry, I haven't heard the Creative SB.
Another suggestion can be to get the Fiio E17, its a DAC+Amp combo, in your budget, and portable.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Well since I've already got an e11 for portable use,wouldn't it be smarter to just get a "stationary" (?) Amp/dac? Perhaps NuForce uDAC 2?

Here's the thing. Decent DACs will cost you a bit, and an Amp just adds to that price. Anything that looks too low priced may have some compromises made in design.
I'm not sure about NuForce, perhaps someone who's used it can help you out.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Here's the thing. Decent DACs will cost you a bit, and an Amp just adds to that price. Anything that looks too low priced may have some compromises made in design.
I'm not sure about NuForce, perhaps someone who's used it can help you out.

Hmm,just took a look in my case,and If I move around my cards a bit I could fit with an internal soundcard. So,should I then get the  Asus Xonar DGX? Or is there something else I should get instead,in the same budget ofcourse. If I buy the  Asus Xonar DGX will I need something else? Or is it just plugging in and enjoy the sound ?

EDIT: I really really want the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi mostly because of design,seems so slick and perfect.. Could it really be that bad? I have a pair of creative fatality USB (with a soundcard built in) and they sound better than my dt 770's at the moment. Also keep in mind that the headset is only a 40 euro so dt 770 + Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MUST sound better,right?

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Hmm,just took a look in my case,and If I move around my cards a bit I could fit with an internal soundcard. So,should I then get the  Asus Xonar DGX? Or is there something else I should get instead,in the same budget ofcourse. If I buy the  Asus Xonar DGX will I need something else? Or is it just plugging in and enjoy the sound ?

EDIT: I really really want the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi mostly because of design,seems so slick and perfect.. Could it really be that bad? I have a pair of creative fatality USB (with a soundcard built in) and they sound better than my dt 770's at the moment. Also keep in mind that the headset is only a 40 euro so dt 770 + Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MUST sound better,right?

To answer your question, yes the sound will be better.
 The X-Fi also has the advantage of being portable. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Even if I go with the  Asus Xonar DGX,the sound will be decent and no need for any other equipment,right?

The DG also has a headphone amp, so yes. Any of these will be better than your PC audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back