Amp/dac for android/idevice with jvc fxz100?
Sep 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ThePrince425

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, new to head fi but has been my main resource for quite some time :) appreciate all fellow non-newb headfiers for taking the time to help us begin our journey. Just gotten a sweet sounding pair of fxz100, but my iphone5 doesn't seem to drive these well, having to boost volumes to abt 75% to get a solid sound. Currently considering a portable usb dac/amp to bring around. Understand not many support idevices, but I'm also at a juncture of switching to android, so am open to suggestions. CLAS and Fostex are out of budget. Currently looking at Sony Pha-1 or Apex Glacier, but other recommendations? Listen to classic rock, pop and jazz, depending on the mood. Also, fundamentally, will the amp/dac make a much more discernible difference compared to just using an amp? Thanks in advance for the help!

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 13
I use the Fiio E17 AMP/DAC with my Galaxy S3. The volume can go very loud plus it can be used with laptops, desktops, tablets etc.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 13
There are reports that iOS7 might support some USB dacs http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck
If you can wait a bit you might want to check that out too.

and FYI the difference between E07k and E17 
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002
(click the Comparison tab)

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 13
From: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643547/fiio-andes-e07k-vs-fiio-e17-whats-the-difference-and-how-does-it-sway-the-amateur-audiophile

" Considering the E17 comes in at 290mW at 16ohms the E07k is not that far behind now in terms of amp powering capabilities though the E17 has the nod in terms of quality due to the superior AD8397 opamp chip. Both use the WM8740 DAC so no change there."
" It [Fiio Andes] is not as dark as the E11 thankfully[,] and not quite as detailed as the E17 (this is marginal but the superior opamp gives the E17 the edge)
"The FiiO E07k is an excellent upgrade on the aging E7. It brings all the latest features of the E17 including functionality and design as well as compatibility with the E09k desktop amp in a slightly cheaper package and slightly lesser amp than the E17. The upgraded sampling rates will certainly be more attractive to audiophiles on the go and keeps it up to speed with competitors newest releases."

--------------------------------
So, the difference really here is the slightly upgraded amp in favor of the E17? And does it give a slightly more warm sound to the E07K due to the AMP chip difference? Also, since the DAC chips are the same and the AMP chip difference is negligible, this seems like a no brainer at the price difference ($89 for the E07K "Andes" vs $139 for the E17 "Alpen") It improved on the E7 via higher sampling rates and power output?

~Kami

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I use the Fiio E17 AMP/DAC with my Galaxy S3. The volume can go very loud plus it can be used with laptops, desktops, tablets etc.

Is the S3 still restricted to using that special audio recorder pro app to connect with the E17? Or will it work with other media players now?

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 13
I don't have a USB OTG cable to test it yet. I'm connecting via audio-out for the time being.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't have a USB OTG cable to test it yet. I'm connecting via audio-out for the time being.

It's my understanding that you can only use the E17 with that audio recorder pro app for playing music when connected via USB. I have a Note 2, and the E17 would not work as a regular USB audio DAC like my ODAC will with my media players.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Will it sound much better via USB OTG than audio-out? How much is the ODAC? Is it portable? Thanks.

I assume once the android version is updated, it will include full USB/OTG capabilities instead of just using it with audio recorder pro.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Will it sound much better via USB OTG than audio-out? How much is the ODAC? Is it portable? Thanks.

I assume once the android version is updated, it will include full USB/OTG capabilities instead of just using it with audio recorder pro.

I wouldn't assume that. I think it has more to do with the E17 design than Android, but I could be wrong.

How much better would the E17 sound if you could use USB audio out with your phone? As good as it sounds connected via USB to your computer.

ODAC. Yes it's portable, but it needs an amp to go with it.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 13
So you carry 3 separate gadgets (AMP, DAC, DAP)?

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 13
No, I don't. I just use my sansa clip+ or my Note 2 to listen to music on the go. I save the high resolving dac/amp setup for home listening. :)

But yes. To use an ODAC, you have to carry an amp, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back