Amp and DAC to go with HD 6XX
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moejoedame

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty much sold on picking up some Sennheiser HD 6XXs from Drop, but as I've researched the huge number of options for DACs and amps, I'm getting lost in all of it.

I intend to use them for gaming and music. I listen to most any kind of rock music from classic rock and metal up to modern alt and indie. I also listen to some Outrun and synthwave if that makes any kind of difference.

My budget is $350

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 5
It's a 300 ohms headphone so you need decent power to drive them. So many options! Are there specific functions you would like to have like a mic input or anything fancy? I assume you will plug it USB to your computer and have a wall power outlet available? Portable, transportable, desktop use?

What is your favorite sound signature: warm, neutral, detailed, tubes?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 5
It's a 300 ohms headphone so you need decent power to drive them. So many options! Are there specific functions you would like to have like a mic input or anything fancy? I assume you will plug it USB to your computer and have a wall power outlet available? Portable, transportable, desktop use?

What is your favorite sound signature: warm, neutral, detailed, tubes?
I really only intend to use them for my desktop. I can use a power outlet. I don't need portability. I also have a decent USB mic already so I don't need a mic in.

I think a neutral sound would be best for the widest range of music and media, but from what I've been reading, a lot of people say the 6XXs pair well with tubes, and that would serve music like blues and rock well. I don't know if I have the budget for a decent tube amp and a DAC though.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm thinking of something from Schiit Audio in this case. Like the Modi/Magni combo for under $200 or the Modi/Vali for tubes a little more $. The Asgard with the AKM4490 DAC module too for $300. There are a few options you can look after.

Drop has the MASSDROP CTH + SDAC DAC/AMP made from a reputable company and for $250. I don't have a thing for tubes, never heard it but it has good comments and feedback.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm thinking of something from Schiit Audio in this case. Like the Modi/Magni combo for under $200 or the Modi/Vali for tubes a little more $. The Asgard with the AKM4490 DAC module too for $300. There are a few options you can look after.

Drop has the MASSDROP CTH + SDAC DAC/AMP made from a reputable company and for $250. I don't have a thing for tubes, never heard it but it has good comments and feedback.
Yeah, I have been researching Schiit a lot. I'm probably just gonna take the leap and try the Vali/Modi. A hybrid is probably the way to go to get into some of that tube crunch without compromising the rest of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back