Amp and DAC for HD650
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

frozncore

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to get myself a HD650 but haven't yet decided on an amp and source. I was browsong around and I found this deal. I've read that Darkvoices have good synergy with Sennheisers and the Zero DAC is a good cheap DAC. For around $400 are there any better amps and DACs for the HD650 or would this deal be worth getting?

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 11
Around 400 you have better amps, definitely, just to name a few:
K.I.C.A.S Amps
DarkVoice 3322
Graham Slee NOVO
Head-Direct EF1 Tube Hybrid

But no DACs included, if your really looking for such a combo it will be difficult to beat the ZERO+336SE for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm traveling down this same road right now. Looking for a good USB DAC / tube amp to use with recabled HD-650's.

Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between Little Dot 6 running balanced (along with a balanced DAC) and the Zero DAC with a DV 337?

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The synergy between the HD650 and the Darkvoice 337 is among the very best I've heard. If you hold out, you can find a (rare) used 337 for about $450-500.

What's the difference between the 337 and the 3322?

Is the 337 significantly better?

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah... the DV332 and DV337 are outstanding with Senns... and pretty good with other phones.

If you can find a "used" DV332 - you'll be very pleased. I would assume the DV337 is a bit better.

Few have tried the DV3322 yet - it has had some significant changes in its internal components (e.g. caps, etc.) - fewer have compared them to the DV332 and DV337.

So... it's pretty hard to "project" the sound of the DV332, or DV337 to the DV3322. But... my guess is... the DV332, and DV337 amps sound so great with the Senns (and some other phones) that I'd be surprised if the DV3322, or DV337SE are significantly better. The bargains are the DV332 and DV337 - for sure.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 11
A few years back, I picked up the PreSonus Central Station for $400. I thought the DAC was very good, as was the internal solid state amp. It also makes a wonderful preamp, with a very nice relay system for the volume control. Add a power amp and speakers, and you'd have a nice setup.

While tubes are popular these days, the solid state amp in the CS is quite good. It even has enough power to adequately drive a K-1000. There were a few threads on the CS a couple years back, they're worth reading.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Damned, your picks got me interested, especially the Head-Direct EF1 Tube Hybrid. Since i have the hd 650 and soon the zero DAC, i just need a good amp to match with. Until now i got 3 choices: LD MKV, audio-gd C2C and graham slee solo (how exactly does the novo differs). I read that many hd650 owners love the warm sound tube amps provide to these cans, and how it " brightens" the highs. But i never tried such amps and thought hybrid might be a good compromise. What do you think of the LD MK1+ in that prospect? Thanks

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Personally from many opinions I've read about the LD amps, I think something is always missing, I never really see someone falling in love with those LD amps, I'm sure their fine amps, but the LD offers do not interest me in the least. And the reliability issues worries me.

But I never tried one, so, as I said, this is based many posts/thread here... but I find that too many LD owners once they try something else, they like that something else better almost always (amps in the same price range to be fair).

As to how the NOVO differs from the SOLO you can read more here: Rock Grotto Audio Forum - Beta Novo Amp In The House! (Many NOVO reviews from BETA to FINAL product, and comparing it to the SOLO)

The Audio-GD, not many owners here, for now, but the ones that have them do feel quite strongly about them, and the ones I know previously owned LD amps and they feel the Audio-GD is better in every respect, so.. again, I'd avoid the LD amps, but only because I feel you can get better for the about same price.

The Head-Direct EF1 seems like a solid build, with good price, and many favourable reviews, but I am unsure how it would do against the other options you have, it is difficult to access in this way, I'd have to try them out first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back