Amp advice for ATH-W1000X
May 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 26
got my ef5 today, it was used and thoroughly burned in already

while the frequency peaks/valleys have not changed much, the overall sound is definately softer, looser, more expanded, and smoother compared to my decware zen head. I guess that's what a tube is for eh?  i liked the zen head sound a lot too - just a different flavor with the ef5, but closer to what i like so ef5 FTW! 

im happy with this combo.  clearly this amp is overkill in the power department as i find i have to adjust the volume in barely turn milimeter increments, but i can live with that

looking forward to rolling some tubes!

eventually still considering saving up for the CSP2 but that may take some time given my limited funds

May 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 26
I see you are still considering am amp. On Tuesday I placed in order for a Yamamoto HA-02 to go with my AT-W1000X.
It costs $995 with $200 down as a deposit and since it takes 7 weeks to get one I have that time to sell some stuff to pay the additional $800 I owe on it.
You can read about the HA-02 here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto4/ha02.html

I will let you know once I get it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 26
The WA6SE should be a better match for the impedance of the W1000X than the WA2 would be.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
I see you are still considering am amp. On Tuesday I placed in order for a Yamamoto HA-02 to go with my AT-W1000X.
It costs $995 with $200 down as a deposit and since it takes 7 weeks to get one I have that time to sell some stuff to pay the additional $800 I owe on it.
You can read about the HA-02 here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto4/ha02.html

I will let you know once I get it.

Never tried the HA-02... but my ATH-W1000X is rocking and rolling with a Burson HA-160.  I think they are a pretty good match.

http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_headamp_160.htm

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 26
I've been using my w1000X with my new Yamamoto HA-02 for about 6 weeks now and I am very pleased with the combo.

For vinyl I have it connected to a Project turntable via a Project Tub Box II and for digital music it is connected to a Dac Wow via Optical to a HT Omega Claro sound card via Amphenol Glass Fiber.

I love the synergy of the amp with the HPs. I would love to compare with a Woo amp though (or the HA160 mentioned earlier in the thread).

I have been going through a lot of tuning to get the vinyl to my satisfaction and have swapped out cartridges, cables, and tubes and gotten different SQ each time although nothing strikes meas a perfect setup yet. But I know the Amp/HP combo works well toegether given my listening pleasure with the digital side of my system.

Just thought I would fill you in since my last post was before I received the yama amp.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 26
I was thinking of getting a WA6 for my W1000X and was wondering if the WA6 worked well with the Grado HF-2?

Any other suggestions for amp choices would be well appreciated thanks.

*Using a Little Dot l+ atm and would like to upgrade*

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 26
You also may want to take a look at the ALO Amphora Amp, I love mine.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
yeah, ive never taken the time to burn in headphones, and i have to admit im skeptical past a few hours, but I am burning in the 1000's as we speak.  They are pretty imbalanced as far as their flatness when i run a sine wave, which is a bit annoying, but we'll see if this burn in thing is for real and it tones them down a bit.  
REEEEEEALLY sibilant.  something i didnt even know the meaning of until i tried these.  also some serious dips around 300-500hz and 6000-7500hz.... anyway i guess thats just the way it goes, especially with closed cans.. the d2000's were even worse

however they do sound good when eq'd but I'm having a hard time adjusting to their tight precise sound compared to my d2000's.  Its not a worse sound, but its very different.

anyway, im leaning more and more towards the decware csp2 because i have a feeling i will like what a tube sound adds to these cans.. maybe mellow them out a bit.  I will check out your review though

I'm buying these as we speak [DMN IT BUYER PM ME BACK ALREADY] xD, but I use a Rca Clear Top Tube for my THICK mid cans, the 12ua7a tube adds some richness to mids BUT adds more tightness and sound stage. A nice tube. Plus it's a hybrid Tube amp so it get's the space of ss and the warmth of Tube without to much of each. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back