Amp 3 Help
Sep 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FraGTaLiTy

Head-Fier
I am currently rocking a Zune, and have been looking for an SSD memory player to use when working out. I am an audiophile at heart, so when I came across the AMP3 it really looked like it would be the perfect player for my need. To top it off it is affordable (cheaper than my $250 expectation).

With that said, I am very interested in purchasing the AMP3. I have read the various threads and posts about it on head-fi, and have a few questions.

1. Did they ever fix the hissing noise, and if not, under what conditions is it noticeable and to what extremity?

2. Where can I purchase it at? I can't find it anywhere; even their website I couldn't find an actually check out button. Also, what is the difference between the various models I have seen at their site.

3. I've come to a conclusion that the sound quality is great based off all the reviews... but I figured I might as well add a third question since I'm already making this thread. Is the AMP3 as good as head-fi threads have made it out to be?

Thanks in advance guys. Hopefully I get some answers; I am VERY interested in getting one of these bad boys.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 14
There is a thread about the Amp3 on both Whiplash Audio's forum and on this forum. You can learn a lot reading about it in those two places.

That's the best way to get information. But I will answer your questions anyway.

1. The firmware to reduce/eliminate the hiss is being tested right now, but Craig at Whiplash Audio, the US rep for Hisoundaudio.

2. Whiplash Audio will have the Pro 2 (second version) in stock soon.

3. Not a good question. Of those who own it who have posted on HF, 95+ percent believe it delivers excellent SQ. Of course, not everyone likes it, but those who do really do.

Now go read the Amp3 threads before you decide to buy.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for all the comments. I did read the other threads, I just wanted to make my own so I could get some up to date opinions before pulling the trigger.

Would you say the amp3 player sounds as good/better then an average mp3 player with separate amp?

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can contact with Mr Craig from Whiplash audio, a Sponsor of this forum.

Whiplash Audio Dynamics

He have reported all the flaws come with the AMP3 pro1 are solved.and Hisoundaudio have replace it with AMP3 Pro2.

Good luck.

i wouldn't call the hiss problem necessarily a flaw: the amp3 wasn't really designed for iems. however, it is nice that they are working to accommodate iem users also!

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the comments. I did read the other threads, I just wanted to make my own so I could get some up to date opinions before pulling the trigger.

Would you say the amp3 player sounds as good/better then an average mp3 player with separate amp?

depend on what amp u are using, but i can make sure you that the size of amp3 is smaller than u use average mp3 player+separate amp.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 14
Frag and I had talked about this earlier, but I'll bring it up here just to get other people's opinions.

So frags current headphones are Audio technica ad700's. His computer has a auzentech something sound card. it's flippin expensive.

For portable, he sometimes uses shures, not sure of the model, and then some cheap iems or buds, i believe they were zune ones, but i could be wrong.

He also has a zune and an ipod.

Point being, his problem is that the ipod and zune skip while he works out, so he was looking for a solid state mp3 player. So I'm perplexed as to why he would go with this option.

#1. I don't know about you guys, but i wouldn't work out with expensive earbuds on because i wouldn't want to damage anything from sweat.
#2. With that said, cheap earbuds don't really need to have an amp like the amp3 stocks in itself.
#3. With the price of the amp3, I would think money would be wiser spent focusing on the home rig rather than what he listens to when he's running/lifting.

So instead of a 150 dollar amp3 music player when he has 2 already, i suggest

-To get a 30 dollar SSmp3 player from target/walmart
-Use whatever earbuds you want
-Take the 120 dollars and get a good home amp like the tianyun zero or little dot I to hook your computer/ipod/zune up to. though you can't really hook up the ipod or zune solely to the tianyun, you can with the LD, but that's besides the point.

I kind of look at the amp3, and well...portable amps in general, like a netbook.

Like a netbook is a competitively price computer to fit your portable needs, but most people who own a netbook, it is their second, possibly 3rd computer. People don't jump into the netbook market for their main computer. I read an article on that that a ridiculous percent of people who own a netbook have a desktop or laptop first. I view mini amps like the predator, or the AIO's like the amp3, to be similar to the netbook.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 14
I can see the netbook analogy, since I have both the Amp3 AND a netbook. But in my case, I use the netbook as my main portable computer (my old Compaq notebook works, but the screen is black, so I have it hooked up to my main monitor via KVM switch). Work primarily from the desktop PC.

From the start, I saw the Amp3 as a niche player, the one I turn to when I want the absolute best SQ, mostly while at home with full-sized phones (Grados). I also use my Clip+ and Fuze (the latter even less these days) as on the go players. When the Amp3 can play Flac (with the firmware update), the Fuze may be on the FS forum. Not sure yet.

So for the gym, I would agree that the Amp is not the best choice. I say get a 2GB Clip refurbed or something along those lines.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I think it sounds better than the average MP3 player with the average portable amp.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 14
^yea, but what's your definition of average? A cmoy? pa2v2? I doubt this thing would outperform a tomohawk or predator.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 14
I think he means around the same price point. I have an iBasso T4 which cost $109 and it's laughably toy-like and not even in the same region of sound quality.

I have no idea about the D2+ Boa which is $169 for the amp alone, not amp+transport as the AMP3 is. I'd still rather take the AMP3 everywhere and pair with a pair of SCL4s (I don't care about the hiss that much). While working out better sound quality is better sound quality and adds to the quality of the workout experience just that much more.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 14
IMO, the SQ of the AMP3 amp section is right up there with the Tomahawk or Predator.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 14
I use to take the AMP3 with me during jogging. Even the stock earbud is stay on my ear firmly, which I was worry about the it could drop off. I am suprise with around 20 volume, i can hear all the details and dynamics. it seems the strong bass rhythm make my step faster ( lol).

It have a bit regret that there is no suitable armband for holding it. I have to hold it by hand. But I deem it' an arm exercise. ha-ha-ha-ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back