Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #736 of 950
Yes. I have bought too many headphones/earphones to speak of over the last 15 years, and some of them have been earbuds. I recently gave up on earbuds after a year of trying recent models that are considered to have good bass. While I could get good bass from them when I physically pressed them against my ears, nothing I could do would get good bass out of them with the way they sit in my ears on their own. I figure it must largely be due to my ear anatomy. (I grew up loving earbuds, but that was long ago when I probably didn't even know was good bass was, so I likely didn't know what I was missing back then.) I do enjoy the KSC75 mounted to a simple headband though, that works well.
No jokes but have you tried the Yincrow X6? It literally costs $6 and has the best bass I've heard in an earbud - better than most IEMs. Seriously you can watch movies with them and not be dissapointed in the bass and sub bass rumble, without having to press them to your ears. They also sport biodynamic drivers, which is rare to say the least, let alone for $6!!! Well worth buying if you're curious.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #737 of 950
No jokes but have you tried the Yincrow Y6? It literally costs $6 and has the best bass I've heard in an earbud - better than most IEMs. Seriously you can watch movies with them and not be dissapointed in the bass and sub bass rumble, without having to press them to your ears. They also sport biodynamic drivers, which is rare to say the least, let alone for $6!!! Well worth buying if you're curious.

You mean the Yincrow X6? I haven't tried that one. For that little, I'll give it a shot... though I won't get my hopes up.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #738 of 950
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #740 of 950
Yes. I have bought too many headphones/earphones to speak of over the last 15 years, and some of them have been earbuds. I recently gave up on earbuds after a year of trying recent models that are considered to have good bass. While I could get good bass from them when I physically pressed them against my ears, nothing I could do would get good bass out of them with the way they sit in my ears on their own. I figure it must largely be due to my ear anatomy. (I grew up loving earbuds, but that was long ago when I probably didn't even know was good bass was, so I likely didn't know what I was missing back then.) I do enjoy the KSC75 mounted to a simple headband though, that works well.
I think the deal with earbuds and bass is that they effectively behave as a design that cannot seal due to how they sit in the concha. You could probably account for this as a manufacturer and have somewhat decent bass extension (though it would still drop like a rock below 100hz) but I'm not sure if they actually care enough to do that, given earbuds are kind of a mess of a form factor from the getgo.

Would you mind adding the FD5 to the list, Curious how it would stack up with the similar priced HS1300SS. Also curious about the Final A4000.

FD5 should be at Engsiang? According to FiiO anyway.

Many Thanks & be safe!
Eng Siang is a distributor, not an actual store. I do know which stores carry FiiO stuff, though I don't know which ones actually have the FD5 in at the moment. I may wait a couple weeks before pursuing it just to make sure I'm not wasting my time hunting for something that isn't even in yet. As for the A4000, Final distribution in SG is really case-by-case so no guarantees on that one. Pretty sure the only A series that I've gotten my hands on so far is the A8000.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #741 of 950
Moondrop x Crinacle Blessing 2: Dusk: Refinement
This ought to be an anticipated one. The Dusk is an IEM that has recently received quite a bit of spotlight for the last month or so, and it's pretty easy to see why. A collaboration between Crinacle and Moondrop focusing on one of the most praised IEMs in recent memory (praise that is, in my humble opinion, slightly less than warranted). Such a collaboration can be seen as a sort of meeting of titans, though that's probably putting far too much of a dramatic spin on it. In any case, given how much I liked the other Crinacle collaboration IEM (the Dawn), and that it stands to improve an IEM I thought had potential, but lacked some finishing touches, it's no surprise this is an IEM that I've had a keen interest in for a while. This is very much an IEM that is poised to be what the Blessing 2 failed to become for me, that is, the defacto sub-$1000 IEM. But it is, ultimately, the results that speak for themselves, and not hype or promises.

I suppose without much further ado, it's time to start breaking down the Dusk. The Dusk's bass response is, from memory, not all that different beyond being elevated from the Blessing 2's. I never though the B2 had a particularly amazing bass response, though it certainly wasn't awful either, and the Dusk is similar beyond raw bass quantity. It still has the same lack of bass texture flaw that the original B2 had, and it still doesn't slam as hard as I would like given it's a DD, but I suppose that was to be expected without swapping out the driver entirely. Still, the increased amplitude certainly is welcome; it's a rather tasteful boost that's neither too midbassy nor subbassy. I imagine this specific boost curve would sound near perfect on a more capable woofer, but such speculation is nothing more than speculation. As is, the Dusk's bass is simply "acceptable".

The midrange of the Dusk reels back the slight shout of the B2 into much more manageable territory. I enjoyed the B2's midrange a lot given its price, and I still think that, given the proposition at hand, it's quite a strong offer. In that sense, the Dusk one-ups the B2, and presents a midrange tonality that may be one of the most pleasant and controlled in the slightly-upper-midrange-forward category. IEMs like the Dawn or the U12t solved the question of shoutiness by turning around and walking in the other direction, while IEMs like the Viento managed to be highly enjoyable in spite of, and in some respects probably because, of some of the shout they had. The Dusk is different from the aforementioned in that it flies incredibly close to the sun without ever crashing, which is an admirable achievement. My only real suggestion here would be perhaps to reduce peak of the pinna region by about 0.5 to 1 dB, as flying so close to the sun does inevitably give one the anxiety of getting sucked in. In less flowery terms, it sounds like the Dusk edges on being too harsh or too shouty, but it never is, though for someone who has heard a billion terrible IEMs at this point I subconsciously brace for it regardless. Not the most pleasant psychological feeling.

The treble was one of my primarily complaints with the original Blessing 2, and my partial revisit of it when reviewing the S8 mostly confirmed that it was still an issue. Given that I had mostly determined that it was a transient issue, I expected the Dusk to have little to no improvement on this particular issue. In some respects I am correct in this; the issue is still present. It has, however, been greatly diminished. The distinct grate in the B2's treble that came with violins in the highest registers and cymbals now sounds akin to a vestigial organ, like an appendix or a tailbone. I can pinpoint where it was supposed to be, and how it originally sounded, and every once in a while it does get in the way of the music, but for the most part it's entirely irrelevant. I would consider this to be quite the accomplishment, given how big of an issue that was in regards to the Blessing 2's overall transient performance. That is not to give the Dusk too much praise, however. Some of the treble grate is, as mentioned, still there, and when pushed, the Dusk inevitably retreats to its primal instincts, and alas, the treble grate rears its ugly head. This is especially so with brass instruments. I would imagine the only way to truly fix this issue is to use an entirely different tweeter, which was less than practical in the case of an IEM that created in the same manner as the Dusk.

Curiously enough, I heard the original Blessing 2 as slightly V shaped, but in the case of the Dusk, I don't think this applies as much anymore. Perhaps it's due to the reeled in treble, but I hear it as about neutral, or bass boosted neutral. I think this epitomizes what the Dusk does better than the B2. In my S8 review I pointed out that the B2 lacked refinement, which the S8 had a fair deal of. In this case, the Dusk is the Blessing 2's refinement. The tonality has been improved a fair deal, the transient issues have been reeled in; the only improvements left that I can envision would involve replacing drivers entirely, which was probably not achievable in the case of the Dusk, and in any case would pose a Ship of Theseus argument in regards to whether or not the Dusk would even be a B2 anymore.

In terms of intangibles, the Dusk is, unfortunately, still a Blessing 2. The coherency issues between bass and treble have been lessened, but they still are present, largely due to the bass. The overall detail retrieval performance of the Dusk is still average, as it was with the B2, though I suppose such is to be expected. The same goes with the dynamic performance, timbre, the whole lot. The biggest change in intangible performance is definitely in treble transients, but beyond that the Dusk is still a B2, with all the pros and cons that come with it. I would suggest reading my Blessing 2 review for a more indepth breakdown on what I thought of that. In any case, the Dusk is undoubtedly still a midfi IEM, at least in the intangible department, and I would generally expect no better or worse.

Given the Dawn had (and still does) one of my favorite tonalities in IEMs, I supposed a comparison of this aspect is in order. On direct comparison, the Dawn inevitably sounds thicker, bassier, and warmer; this is absolutely not surprising at all. What I do think is a little surprising is that the Dawn sounds ever so slightly tonally disjointed in comparison to the Dusk, particularly in the transition between the lower and upper mids. At the same time, the inviting warmth of the Dawn is simply not present on the Dusk, which sounds slightly lean and dry in comparison. I would guess that the ideal here is somewhere inbetween, with the Dawn doing good to pick up some cues from the Dusk's overall midrange balance, and the Dusk being better off with some extra warmth and wetness from the Dawn.

As is, I give a slight nod to the Dawn in terms of overall tonality for pleasure listening, but the analyst and reviewer in me prefers the Dusk's midrange coherence. This is very much in the realm of fine tuning and nitpicking, which is probably unwarranted given the origins of both of these IEMs as having been based off of an existing product and modified to taste. In such a capacity, there is only so much one can do in terms of tweaks without things going out of hand, and the fact that these 2 IEMs come as close to "ideal" as they do certainly speaks volumes as to what an uninhibited project could achieve.

I guess the million dollar question now, is if the Dusk is worthy of the all the accolades that the Blessing 2 received, but I saw as grossly unwarranted. And the answer to that question, I think, is yes. It may not have the expected intangible performance of a flagship, but the tuning more than rivals most on the market, and the issues stemming from the B2 that the Dusk does resolve are enough to elevate it to a level where I feel any extra intangible performance is a bonus, and not compulsory. Given the $330 asking price of the Dusk, I think this is a ridiculously good value proposition; and I would imagine the large majority of people dipping their toes into the hobby would do better to simply get a Dusk and call it quits unless one is an absolute stickler for sound and has the money to back it up. It is, for the lack of a better word, good enough that the average person would not need more.

All listening was done with the Bifrost 2 > BHA-1 stack's single ended output, as well as some supplementary listening on the WM1A's 3.5mm output.

In my past reviews, I've usually given a recommendation alongside a certain target audience I think would enjoy a given IEM. In this case, I will not give a target audience, because this is an IEM I think most will find extremely difficult to hate. It occupies a stopgap point that in the past may have been occupied by the likes of the ER2XR or the FDX1, but raises the bar in many respects. Unless one were searching for a specific sound, I think the Dusk would serve as the default for recommendation for most, and only the truly devoted or obsessive need to look further.

Recommended.

Score: 7/10

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #744 of 950
Would like to request another IEM :sweat_smile:, The Sennheiser IE 300. Crinacle seems to have them -fwiw

Curious how this non-chfi IEM stacks up.
I’ll probably seek out the IE300 when I’m done with this batch of stuff I have to cover. Don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #745 of 950
A Quick One: Thieaudio Legacy 4
Gotta say, I haven't really been loving Thieaudio so far. Their first few products very much seemed to be FOTM hype of the purest definition (Who still remembers the old Legacy IEMs or the Voyager 14? That was some stuff) and while everyone else seemed to love the Monarch and Clairvoyance, I personally wasn't too smitten. The Monarch's tonality wasn't too my taste, and its intangibles left wanting, while the Clairvoyance held it in reverse: the tonality was tolerable, but the intangibles were downright bad. I can't say my opinion on those 2 has changed since either; they genuinely just don't come off as very good IEMs to me.

But enough about that. The Legacy 4 is their latest hybrid, and promises to build off their (at least in the overall scheme of things) successes with the Clairvoyance and Monarch. Could this be the one to win me over?

I'll just save you the time and say it upfront: no. The Legacy 4 isn't terrible, but it's not great either. In fact, the Legacy 4 is utterly mediocre in the purest sense of the word. The tuning comes off as a streamlined version of the Monarch/Clairvoyance tuning with a dash of mass appeal in the low end, which in retrospect seems like the ultimate recipe for one of the most uninspired and unremarkable tunings I've heard in the last year. The intangibles are nothing to write home about either. The resolution is average as expected, the dynamics are flat and dull as is normal with most IEMs, the bass slam is poofy and blobby, the staging is oh-so-predictably IEM, the timbre is predictably BA up top and disjointed from the woofer as is expected from a hybrid... Oh yeah, that's something to mention, the treble timbre on this thing is scratchy and rough in ways reminiscent of the Hifiman planars. Beyond that, this is basically a nothing IEM. The Legacy 4 is simply yet another IEM that will be forgotten in a couple months, during which Thieaudio will presumably obsolete it with yet another shot in the dark at attempting to create some form of budget IEM.

It is difficult to describe the absolute triteness of an IEM like this, because they often have little to no distinguishing or memorable features to latch onto that are worth writing about. Many of my favorite and least favorite IEMs have something about them that's distinctive beyond mere tonality, be it a transient behavior or a timbral characteristic or how it images. Regardless of my personal opinion on them, all of these IEMs are undeniably memorable and unique, and one could say that for that reason they might be innately good in and of themselves (though I would beg to differ). And ultimately, all these kinds IEMs are interesting to write about, because there's always something to say about them. The IEMs that I have nothing to say about are not so because they're so supremely neutral that they have no intangible characteristics*, but because the characteristics they apply onto every recording played through them inevitably make the music disgraced by their presence less interesting, less engaging, more boring and completely unmemorable. And this is ultimately what the Legacy 4 is: an IEM that was made for the sake of being made, like countless others, and will eventually be washed away by the sands of time in the same fashion as those that preceded it.

Score: 5/10
*It is often said in speakers that the very best speakers sound different on every recording. Such may be true, but IEMs and headphones are a very long way off from attaining such purity of intangibles.

Note: A review like this might seem lazy, but it’s largely because for many of these kinds of IEMs, there’s not very much to discuss. I think it’s much more effective to be concise and to the point instead of being overly verbose on a subject that doesn’t warrant it. From here on, IEMs that I don’t have much to comment on will get Quick One articles instead of full length reviews. I’ll save those for the really exceptional (good or bad) stuff.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #746 of 950
A Quick One: Thieaudio Legacy 4
Gotta say, I haven't really been loving Thieaudio so far. Their first few products very much seemed to be FOTM hype of the purest definition (Who still remembers the old Legacy IEMs or the Voyager 14? That was some stuff) and while everyone else seemed to love the Monarch and Clairvoyance, I personally wasn't too smitten. The Monarch's tonality wasn't too my taste, and its intangibles left wanting, while the Clairvoyance held it in reverse: the tonality was tolerable, but the intangibles were downright bad. I can't say my opinion on those 2 has changed since either; they genuinely just don't come off as very good IEMs to me.

But enough about that. The Legacy 4 is their latest hybrid, and promises to build off their (at least in the overall scheme of things) successes with the Clairvoyance and Monarch. Could this be the one to win me over?

I'll just save you the time and say it upfront: no. The Legacy 4 isn't terrible, but it's not great either. In fact, the Legacy 4 is utterly mediocre in the purest sense of the word. The tuning comes off as a streamlined version of the Monarch/Clairvoyance tuning with a dash of mass appeal in the low end, which in retrospect seems like the ultimate recipe for one of the most uninspired and unremarkable tunings I've heard in the last year. The intangibles are nothing to write home about either. The resolution is average as expected, the dynamics are flat and dull as is normal with most IEMs, the bass slam is poofy and blobby, the staging is oh-so-predictably IEM, the timbre is predictably BA up top and disjointed from the woofer as is expected from a hybrid... Oh yeah, that's something to mention, the treble timbre on this thing is scratchy and rough in ways reminiscent of the Hifiman planars. Beyond that, this is basically a nothing IEM. The Legacy 4 is simply yet another IEM that will be forgotten in a couple months, during which Thieaudio will presumably obsolete it with yet another shot in the dark at attempting to create some form of budget IEM.

It is difficult to describe the absolute triteness of an IEM like this, because they often have little to no distinguishing or memorable features to latch onto that are worth writing about. Many of my favorite and least favorite IEMs have something about them that's distinctive beyond mere tonality, be it a transient behavior or a timbral characteristic or how it images. Regardless of my personal opinion on them, all of these IEMs are undeniably memorable and unique, and one could say that for that reason they might be innately good in and of themselves (though I would beg to differ). And ultimately, all these kinds IEMs are interesting to write about, because there's always something to say about them. The IEMs that I have nothing to say about are not so because they're so supremely neutral that they have no intangible characteristics*, but because the characteristics they apply onto every recording played through them inevitably make the music disgraced by their presence less interesting, less engaging, more boring and completely unmemorable. And this is ultimately what the Legacy 4 is: an IEM that was made for the sake of being made, like countless others, and will eventually be washed away by the sands of time in the same fashion as those that preceded it.

Score: 5/10
*It is often said in speakers that the very best speakers sound different on every recording. Such may be true, but IEMs and headphones are a very long way off from attaining such purity of intangibles.

Note: A review like this might seem lazy, but it’s largely because for many of these kinds of IEMs, there’s not very much to discuss. I think it’s much more effective to be concise and to the point instead of being overly verbose on a subject that doesn’t warrant it. From here on, IEMs that I don’t have much to comment on will get Quick One articles instead of full length reviews. I’ll save those for the really exceptional (good or bad) stuff.

Thank-you! I was curious as to your opinion! Your reviews are always intriguing!

I reviewed the L4 3 weeks ago here, and have basically listened to it ever since. I mean, I have other IEMs to use, but have used the L4 only because I love it. Though in all honesty I have found I like it better with warmer sources like the FiiO Alpen 2 E17K or the 1A or 1Z, changed to “J” region with MrWalkman’s DMP-Z1 Emulation Firmware.

I expected you would get more from it? Yet it’s your L4 impressions of genericness which I hear as completeness. The dislocated-isms as separation and excitement? It’s boringness, refinement to my ears.

The only part that really confused me was your understanding of poofy bass? Also why you didn’t club the baby seal harder than a 5? Maybe because of the $195 price...............not warranting the sternest judgmental score?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #747 of 950
Also why you didn’t club the baby seal harder than a 5? Maybe because of the $195 price...............not warranting the sternest judgmental score?
My scoring is unrelated to price. It's not worthy of anything more or less than a 5 because, as mentioned, it's really not bad or good. It's just mediocre to the extreme, and if I had to express that in a number 5 couldn't be more perfect.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #748 of 950
My scoring is unrelated to price. It's not worthy of anything more or less than a 5 because, as mentioned, it's really not bad or good. It's just mediocre to the extreme, and if I had to express that in a number 5 couldn't be more perfect.

I found they are fairly tip dependent; meaning narrow bore tips were really congested. Wide or medium wide opened the L4 up and helped separate what they were doing? To me tip choices is taking and making them one thing or another, good or bad?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #749 of 950
I found they are fairly tip dependent; meaning narrow bore tips were really congested. Wide or medium wide opened the L4 up and helped separate what they were doing? To me tip choices is taking and making them one thing or another, good or bad?
The tips I used are stock. As is standard, anything provided by the manufacturer or otherwise recommended by them is good enough for those with a financial stake in it, and therefore good enough for me. I unfortunately do not have enough time or money to account for a billion different preferences in tips.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #750 of 950
The tips I used are stock. As is standard, anything provided by the manufacturer or otherwise recommended by them is good enough for those with a financial stake in it, and therefore good enough for me. I unfortunately do not have enough time or money to account for a billion different preferences in tips.

But.....you must agree the differences between narrow bore tips and full wide bore tips are night and day? I’m only suggesting that if you get another chance to hear it, try it with wide tips. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back