Amazon Music Lossless Tier
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #46 of 59
Sep 23, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #47 of 59
I'm sure the people that can't aren't really doing what most of us here are:. DAPs or DACs, quality IEMs or headphones

Or maybe it's a chicken-or-the-egg thing: because they can't hear what we do, they don't do what we do. Or something.

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 59
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #49 of 59
I signed up for the 90-day trial with the hope of ditching Tidal soon. However, there's a massive show-stopper for me. The Amazon Music desktop app on macOS doesn't have 'exclusive mode' and 'force volume' which Tidal has. I'm hoping that this is fixed before the 90-day trial period is over. The UI isn't too different to Tidal's so that's a good start at least. It's the lack of bit-perfect that would stop me from paying for Amazon Music. It's almost as if their target market is Spotify users.

Sep 23, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #50 of 59
I signed up for the 90-day trial with the hope of ditching Tidal soon. However, there's a massive show-stopper for me. The Amazon Music desktop app on macOS doesn't have 'exclusive mode' and 'force volume' which Tidal has. I'm hoping that this is fixed before the 90-day trial period is over. The UI isn't too different to Tidal's so that's a good start at least. It's the lack of bit-perfect that would stop me from paying for Amazon Music. It's almost as if their target market is Spotify users.

Their target market is Spotify and Apple Music customers, and for the moment Amazon does not surpass Tidal or Qobuz on sound quality. Quoting myself from the other Amazon thread:
Many of the above impressions may be improved if loudness normalization is turned off. But the Amazon app also does not get around various kinds of system resampling even when an external DAC or the LG internal Quad DAC is available. The specifics are different across Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, but in all or most situations the result in resampling, sometimes upsampling but in other cases downsampling.

On phones this includes resampling of the signal sent to external DACs and even high-end internal DACs, and no third-party apps yet have access to the Amazon API to help us find a way around this problem. On desktops the apps don't allow you to select anything but the main system audio, so no options like ASIO or exclusive, and there's no integration with third-party player apps possible there yet either.

This only makes sense when one considers that Amazon's main competitors in this space are Apple Music and Spotify. Many say it sounds better than those services. But it appears most Qobuz and Tidal users remain unimpressed.

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #53 of 59
I don't need the features of Roon so have been using Audirvana+ as player on Win 10 Pro. I did have both Tidal and Qobuz but as Qobuz improved their catalog dropped Tidal. Sound quality through the Audirvana+ player is also a bit better than the Qobuz desktop app. Audirvana+ is excellent value. I got three months of Amazon Music HD free since I have Amazon Prime but the sound quality is inferior to Qobuz. I don't even bother with Amazon Music HD now, if they open their API so Audirvana+ can integrate (doubtful) or change the desktop app to offer Wasapi Exclusive Mode I will take another listen. Qobuz won't be losing customers to Amazon Music HD with the sound quality as is now.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #55 of 59
Oct 2, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #56 of 59
Tried Amazon HD. Love the music catalog. Dislike the sound quality. A few bugs need worked out. For instance, many songs are Ultra HD or HD one minute then during playback my screen has a 'white circle' with an exclamation point in it and the sound is less than ideal. Woke up early this morning after listening to Amazon last evening to trial it out against Tidal and the sound is superior on Tidal. Sampled several tracks using both and it is an easy to detect difference. For the extra $8 a month it's worth it. Working in an auto shop we have a saying - 'smiles per miles' in relation to MPG...Kind of the same here - have to go with quality sound over price.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #57 of 59
Oct 4, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #58 of 59
I am satisfied with Spotify but I will try Amazon.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #59 of 59
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back