Amazon Music Lossless Tier
Sep 18, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 59
I have been waiting for it for a while now. Definitely worth a try. I'm sure they will develop a bit-perfect option for the desktop app. Let's not forget It's the mighty Amazon...

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 59
I digged through the desktop app and there was no option to set a DAC to exclusive mode, or WASAPI. So, not bit-perfect, the bit-stream is going through the OS, not direct to the DAC. Qobuz however does have bit-perfect mode. Apple and Spotify both don't.

You should use the desktop client as the stream through chrome is limited quality for audio.
J River works pretty close with amazon I’m hoping for some ability to play there

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 59
Ok I've done some listening now this is just my iPhone and it maxes out at 24 bit 48 MHz so the tracks are being not being played in some cases at the full potential,. I compare my HD tracks version of Styx The mission with the amazon counterpart and it's pretty comparable, maybe a slight edge to the HD tracks version but I payed $20 bucks for that. A lot of the hires albums do go to 24 bit 192 MHz but you would need the desktop app and an app for that. J River works pretty close with amazon I bet eventually it will be compatible supposedly newer receivers will have the capability to stream. A phone with a dac or desktop would be nice. I'm listening to Tres Hombres from ZZ Top now and it's just CD quality but it sounds great and blows away the Apple Music version. Amazon is using flac so it's compatible whereas tidal uses that mcq format and requires a dac. I'd recommend trying a trial it blows away google play

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 59
Compared the same songs via Tidal/Roon and the Amazon. Tidal definitely sounded better. Amazon's SQ is between Spotify and Tidal. I think as mentioned it's the App. It is going through Windows 10. Now I am using optical and only the Qobuz app actually shows the bit rate on my RME, but either way the Amazon app offers no way to control the hardware. If they are going to do it right they will need to offer more settings for sound control.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 59
Intriguing thought about Amazon hardware...
BTW, how are you getting anything over 48 kHz out of an iPhone lightning port? What external DAC are you using?
At the moment I’m not I’m wondering if using a HiBy R3 would yield anything higher although I’m thinking that it’s not possible. I’m hoping for my 2 channel setup to either use my laptop setup if amazon changes their desktop to bit perfect or maybe J River (which is what use to play from my laptop thru a dac ) will interface with amazon

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 59
I'm currently using it but am having trouble with correct sample rates between my iPhone and Mojo. Regardless of what is being played, the Mojo always says it's getting data in 192/24. Tidal was accurate in terms of getting the sample rate right. I hope this is just a bug and I sent a note to customer service about it already. Is anybody else having this issue?
Getting same issue as you. However, on sq, I'm noticing a positive difference between this and Tidal Masters. Going back and forth between the two, playing parts of different songs, I here better shimmer, instrumentation, openess on the updampled Flac, vs the unfolded mqa

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #23 of 59
Intriguing thought about Amazon hardware...
BTW, how are you getting anything over 48 kHz out of an iPhone lightning port? What external DAC are you using?
Aple has no issue pushing out higher than 24/48 out of the lightning port as long as one the app is capable, and 2 the external DAC is capable. DRAGONFLY, MOJO, iFi DACs will all output higher than 24/48 via Amazon music, Tidal, or Qobuz

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 59
Considering the three-month free trial and Prime member discount, decided to give this a try. Definitely an improvement over Spotify for me, never bought into Tidal so can't compare. Hopefully they'll add bit-perfect playback to the software soon.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 59
I'm currently using it but am having trouble with correct sample rates between my iPhone and Mojo. Regardless of what is being played, the Mojo always says it's getting data in 192/24. Tidal was accurate in terms of getting the sample rate right. I hope this is just a bug and I sent a note to customer service about it already. Is anybody else having this issue?

My TT2 also always shows 192. Hmmmm.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 59
My TT2 also always shows 192. Hmmmm.
Sample rates are looking sketchy on the Android client too. From a brief listen, I don't think the current app sounds quite as good as Tidal. The DX220 reports it can only playback 96 kHz ultra HD files at 44 kHz. Weird. The service looks good, but it seems Amazon has a bit of work to do with their client apps (for all platforms).

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 59
Aple has no issue pushing out higher than 24/48 out of the lightning port as long as one the app is capable, and 2 the external DAC is capable. DRAGONFLY, MOJO, iFi DACs will all output higher than 24/48 via Amazon music, Tidal, or Qobuz
Exactly. You need a fairly clunky setup with at least a cck. The dongle (or anything mfi-certified) won't work.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 59
Sample rates are looking sketchy on the Android client too. From a brief listen, I don't think the current app sounds quite as good as Tidal. The DX220 reports it can only playback 96 kHz ultra HD files at 44 kHz. Weird. The service looks good, but it seems Amazon has a bit of work to do with their client apps (for all platforms).
I wonder if UAPP developer can work some magic?

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #30 of 59
Looks like this thread has some competition: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amazon-launches-music-hd-with-lossless-streaming.905493/

I'm going to hang out here though, because we have the better people here :wink:

I'm seeing issues on the LG quad DAC phones too. Getting information like this from the Amazon music app:

c1.png

audio_flinger shows that it is indeed only playing at 48 kHz. Hmmm. The V40 is definitely capable of 96 kHz playback.

c2.png

audio_flinger shows this one's 48 kHz, but DIRECT, not through Android's mixer, which strongly suggests that Amazon intentionally decided to screw this up.

Come on Amazon. Get your act together. What's the point of a service like this if there are no clients capable of taking advantage of these audio bit streams?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back