Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
May 7, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,621 of 1,996
I don't have any other streaming apps, but it is accurate with my own library played via jriver 24. It only shows sample rate via USB though, so I couldn't test with music via the Node 2i which has no USB out. The Node and my m11 Pro are my normal streaming devices, while my usual dac for music is the Gungnir MB. the dac that I used to test is a Geek Pulse, which I normally use for tv/movies, but it does show sample rate when using USB.

May 7, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,622 of 1,996
Agreed. So, if your dac is to be trusted, we can conclude that the Amazon music app does some form of resampling to match whatever Windows is set to. (I am assuming that your dac correctly displays different sample rates while playing files in other music player apps.)
It may be the app or it may be Windows. As noted before, worked fine on Qobuz but only if using exclusive mode in the app. Worked fine with Roon when I had that too (and Audirvana and Media Monkey if I recall correctly so it shouldn't be hard for Amazon to figure out). I think the only thing you can conclude is that Amazon is not bit perfect and some sort of resampling is happening (I.e. their "exclusive mode" does not work the way we expect it to). Where the resampling is happening, I have no idea.

May 7, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,623 of 1,996
I don't have any other streaming apps, but it is accurate with my own library played via jriver 24. It only shows sample rate via USB though, so I couldn't test with music via the Node 2i which has no USB out. The Node and my m11 Pro are my normal streaming devices, while my usual dac for music is the Gungnir MB. the dac that I used to test is a Geek Pulse, which I normally use for tv/movies, but it does show sample rate when using USB.
My DACs do show sample rate over coax and toslink and I can confirm Amazon Music HD works properly with the Node 2i over both connections and does not resample. Others have confirmed this early on in this thread as well (I ended up buying two of them over the past year and they are great for streaming Amazon, Qobuz, local files and I can even mix songs from different sources on the same Node 2i playlist). I also get those annoying clicks/pops on my Grace m900 that someone described earlier and my IFI SPDIF iPurifier2 skips the first few seconds whenever the sample rate changes (had to remove that from the chain).

May 9, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,624 of 1,996
On my system, if I enable WASAPI Exclusive Mode out to my DAC (not using Amazon, but another player), then APO / Peace has no impact on the music. Unfortunately, I don't have my DAC right so I'm plugged directly into my PC, and can't test this with Amazon.

So, my guess is that if you have enabled Exclusive Mode in the Amazon app, then your DAC should be doing the rendering and APO should have no impact on the sound. Can anyone test this?

There's also an "Enable Hardware Rendering" button in the Amazon app, which I assume everyone has toggled on.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,625 of 1,996
On my system, there seems to be no resampling being done. I have my sound card set to 24 / 192 and only get that when the track says it's available.

Screenshot 2021-05-09 163100.png

May 9, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #1,626 of 1,996
On my system, there seems to be no resampling being done. I have my sound card set to 24 / 192 and only get that when the track says it's available.

Screenshot 2021-05-09 163100.png
I believe your dac would report that it was receiving 24/192 because Windows is converting it from 24/44.1 to 24/192 downstream of the app. At least that is what is happening in my pc. Can't figure out why yours would be any different.

May 9, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,627 of 1,996
I believe your dac would report that it was receiving 24/192 because Windows is converting it from 24/44.1 to 24/192 downstream of the app. At least that is what is happening in my pc. Can't figure out why yours would be any different.
Well, I should get my DAC this week, hopefully. Tracking was just updated today to show that it's in the process of being cleared by customs. :ksc75smile: Will report back.

May 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,630 of 1,996
Question for yall since my ears are getting trained to the finer sounding audio. I used to really Enjoy the song Quit by Cashmere Cat feat Ariana Grande. However, in ultra hd I notice like a clipping/distortion/peak(maybe?) in the sound. Not quite sure how to accurately describe it. Wanted to see if anyone else picks up on it. Happens during the high points of the song. For example: at 57 secs the music hits and I hear it. At 2 minutes 36 seconds it happens when everyone joins in.
Initially was thinking it was an issue with my system. Yet tried it on my work laptop with bluetooth throwaway IEMs and I hear it. Is this the recording/system/amazon/etc? Used to looove the song but this is inhibiting my enjoyment :frowning2:
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B071XQD8NC?trackAsin=B06ZZJPKDP&ref=dm_sh_725e-268e-edbb-f3ed-4db9d

May 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,631 of 1,996
Question for yall since my ears are getting trained to the finer sounding audio. I used to really Enjoy the song Quit by Cashmere Cat feat Ariana Grande. However, in ultra hd I notice like a clipping/distortion/peak(maybe?) in the sound. Not quite sure how to accurately describe it. Wanted to see if anyone else picks up on it. Happens during the high points of the song. For example: at 57 secs the music hits and I hear it. At 2 minutes 36 seconds it happens when everyone joins in.
Initially was thinking it was an issue with my system. Yet tried it on my work laptop with bluetooth throwaway IEMs and I hear it. Is this the recording/system/amazon/etc? Used to looove the song but this is inhibiting my enjoyment :frowning2:
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B071XQD8NC?trackAsin=B06ZZJPKDP&ref=dm_sh_725e-268e-edbb-f3ed-4db9d
maybe it's the recording? i tried on both qobuz & amazon hd and i'm hearing the same "anomaly"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back