Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Sep 22, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #211 of 1,996
That's not true. It's an Android issue as Android SRC limits all output systemwide.

To have anything higher you need an app like USB Audio Player Pro that bypasses the SRC and an external DAC.

Is usb audio player does it, can't Amazon do it? Or is it not that simple? Edit my bad, nevermind. I see the need for the dac.

In this case the post metioned the LG V30, which has a high-end internal Quad DAC. The Tidal app bypasses the Android system to make use of that DAC for MQA, and UAPP does the same for all streams from Tidal and Qobuz.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #212 of 1,996
If I am understanding this properly, for someone like me who is just streaming tidal out of their note 10, with no dac, the Amazon hd would be equivalent to tidal hifi?

Sep 22, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #213 of 1,996
On Windows many of us hear a clear improvement from Qobuz in ASIO or WASAPI.On a high-end phone like the LG V30, it's a crying shame that the Amazon app can't make use of the Quad DAC and instead lets the stream get resampled to the Android system limitation of 24/48. On the same phone, many hear a clear difference because the Tidal app does that correctly for MQA, and the UAPP app does that correctly for all streams from Tidal and Qobuz.

Not everyone can hear these differences though, and if you can't consider yourself lucky! This will benefit your wallet in the long run. :)
Balanced HD800, Auralic Vega DAC and Taurus MkII HP amp. You say you can tell the difference after matching volume on HD650?
I am afraid most of the perceived difference comes from not matching sample rate of shared mode with track original sample rate which triggers mixer resampling and degrading interpolation and the fact that ASIO or exclusive WASAPI is a bit louder than what you get from mixer, and louder always sounds clearer and better in comparison.
Not defending amazon, they should have looked at the exclusive mode very first thing when introducing this audiophile tier. Hopefully that'll be addressed in no time.

On Android side, sorry, no idea what you are talking about, MQA should die the horrible death it deserved. Hopefully amazon will help with phasing out Tidal and that contraption out of this world.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #214 of 1,996
Balanced HD800, Auralic Vega DAC and Taurus MkII HP amp. You say you can tell the difference after matching volume on HD650?
I am afraid most of the perceived difference comes from not matching sample rate of shared mode with track original sample rate which triggers mixer resampling and degrading interpolation and the fact that ASIO or exclusive WASAPI is a bit louder than what you get from mixer, and louder always sounds clearer and better in comparison.
Not defending amazon, they should have looked at the exclusive mode very first thing when introducing this audiophile tier. Hopefully that'll be addressed in no time.

On Android side, sorry, no idea what you are talking about, MQA should die the horrible death it deserved. Hopefully amazon will help with phasing out Tidal and that contraption out of this world.

Yes I can hear a difference like that, but many people cannot. This range of variation is a normal human thing. I found this study interesting: http://www.doc.gold.ac.uk/~mas03dm...

As for Android, Tidal's implementation of MQA for the LG V30 is just an example not a recommendation. I use UAPP for Qobuz and Tidal (without the MQA add-in) it does sound better than the official apps.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #215 of 1,996
I tried it on my Hiby R5 and Ibasso DX220 which both bypass the android sample rate and use the app sample rate to play music

The Amazon Music app just plays everything 16Bit 44kHz not matter what sample rate the song is so I think the app just downsample everything to 16Bit 44kHz
On my Mojo or Monolith portable, everything gets upsampled to 192khz

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #216 of 1,996
That's not true. It's an Android issue as Android SRC limits all output systemwide.

To have anything higher you need an app like USB Audio Player Pro that bypasses the SRC and an external DAC.
Not just an Android issue. On iOS, everything is getting updampled to external DAC at 192khz for he audio. Tidal and Qobuz output at native resolution to external DWCs

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #217 of 1,996
As we would have to deal with Shared mode for some unknown time before (if) Amazon introduces exclusive mode support, this article covers in depth of what happens in shared mode and explains importance of matching bit rate of the original material.
Technically if shared mode bitrate matches original and all special effects are off, the only modification to original stream is conversion to 32-bit float for internal processing and dithering back to output specified fixed bit depth.
Not as good as exclusive mode that is just mem copy but should be close enough.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #218 of 1,996
As we would have to deal with Shared mode for some unknown time before (if) Amazon introduces exclusive mode support, this article covers in depth of what happens in shared mode and explains importance of matching bit rate of the original material.
Technically if shared mode bitrate matches original and all special effects are off, the only modification to original stream is conversion to 32-bit float for internal processing and dithering back to output specified fixed bit depth.
Not as good as exclusive mode that is just mem copy but should be close enough.
As a Mojo user, this basically took all the fun away from looking at the color-changing balls. I guess it also holds true for Hugo users :D

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #219 of 1,996
Has anyone tried an Amazon Echo Link? I assume it's for streaming Amazon HD? Strangely, it only does 16/48!

From their help pages:
  • Digital Audio Inputs (optical TOSLINK and coaxial RCA) - Uncompressed PCM audio (16bit/44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz)
  • Digital Audio Output (optical TOSLINK and coaxial RCA) - 16bit/48kHz Uncompressed PCM stereo

From a question on the product page:
Q: Does it work with amazon music hd? can it play in ultra hd quality via the s/pdif & optical outputs?
A: I will answer my own question, incase others are wondering. I uncovered this from reading the audioscience review of the link. This unit, despite being marketed towards people who value audio quality, does not support what amazon is now calling Ultra HD Music streams. It will accept sample rates above 48Khz, but it will downsample everything before playing it internally, or sending out the digital outputs to an external DAC. At launch it seems Amazon has no official way to play Ultra HDstreams at native resolution (96Khz, 192Khz) other than using the PC/Mac app or using an Apple iPhone with an external DAC. Hopefully the Link is removed promply from the Market and replaced with a fully functional unit that supports amazon's own services. If all you want is the CD quality playbacks (44.1) offered by the HDService...you are going to be OK. But all the fancy Ultra tracks Audiophiles drool over will be downgraded through this box. When Amazon fixes this, Ill buy it. see less
By JimT on September 19, 2019

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Link-Stream-stereo-system/dp/B0798DVZCY

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #223 of 1,996
two questions:
1. is there a function on the amazon app which continues to play similar songs after your play queue is finished?
2. whereas spotify has a radio station for every artist, it appears that amazon only has a limited number of stations--am i missing something?

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #224 of 1,996
two questions:
1. is there a function on the amazon app which continues to play similar songs after your play queue is finished?
2. whereas spotify has a radio station for every artist, it appears that amazon only has a limited number of stations--am i missing something?

1. Not that I've been able to see. The nearest is a 'Recommendations' section but that's quite far removed from the functionality that you're asking about.
2. No. It looks like the 'Stations' are genre-based.

I'm new to the Amazon Music app and I'm using it on macOS so I may be wrong!

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #225 of 1,996
I spent a few hours listening to the same songs on Amazon Music HD, Tidal desktop and Amarra Luxe desktop, all running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. It was a laborious process as I made sure I only had one of the apps open at any time to stop exclusive access to my Topping D50 DAC becoming an issue, plus I had to check the settings each time I opened one of the three apps to make sure that the settings hadn't changed. Anyway, a side interest to me was Tidal have updated their app twice in 24 hours!

My objective was to see which app produced the best sound to my ears, as that's all that matters to me.

In order of 'best sound quality' to my ears:

1. Amarra Luxe desktop for macOS Version 4.3.510-208 - a very poorly written app in terms of UI and adhering to macOS app standards - seems to break every standard there is for macOS apps BUT...sounds simply delicious. I use Amarra Luxe to play my Tidal playlists so the source files are streamed from Tidal. The app produces a thoroughly engaging representation of the music. Rich timbre, wide sound stage, beautiful separation of instruments. It's hard to see how the sound could be bettered on my current hardware.

2. Tidal desktop app for macOS Version 2.7.0.5 - not far behind Amarra Luxe, to my surprise! A lovely UI and some really useful features to discover new music. A glorious representation of the music, deep and wide soundstage, a full-bodied richness to the tracks. It's progressed a long way from a year ago.

3. Amazon Music HD for macOS Version 7.8.2.2104. UI-wise it's probably where Tidal was a year ago so will improve with new updates I imagine. Unfortunately the sound, possibly due to lack of exclusive access and lack of overriding the OS mixer and volume control, was a little flat and anaemic compared to the other two apps. It's a pleasant enough sound but lacks engagement - better suited to background listening as far as I am concerned. I'm really hoping that Amazon can rapidly update this app as there's no technical reasons why they cannot make it sound as good as the Tidal app. I'm guessing it's a step up for Spotify users, but it's a couple of steps down from Tidal at the moment. Needless to say I've set up the reminder from within the app to notify me three days before my free trial ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back