Amazon.com ad is causing Head-Fi browser to respond extremely slow when it shows up.
May 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 26
I switched over to Firefox, based on a suggestion in the other thread I had started, and it definitely works much better.  It is still sluggish, but considerably faster.  Apparently, the issue is exaggerated with IE.

May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #17 of 26
I switched over to Firefox, based on a suggestion in the other thread I had started, and it definitely works much better.  It is still sluggish, but considerably faster.  Apparently, the issue is exaggerated with IE.

hmph, I was using FF4 (no extensions), and it was consuming all the CPU cycles until the 'script appears to' be frozen notifies appeared (FOR EVERY page)

May 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 26

hmph, I was using FF4 (no extensions), and it was consuming all the CPU cycles until the 'script appears to' be frozen notifies appeared (FOR EVERY page)

That sounds like a computer-specific issue. I'm pretty sure it's 4 I'm using at work, FF anyway, and have never encountered that and this on an old Dell (XP sp 3 I think). I'm guessing this is an issue with Huddler that should be worked out. I would hope...

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 26
I too have problems on my ipod on this clutter-fi site but maybe it's because it's the 2nd gen. and out dated. So I avoid reading this site when I am out and about. I only come here when come here on my laptop which works great. This is the most cluttered forum I have ever seen however for better or for worse.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 26
I hate to say it, but head fi is no longer fun for me.  the site is horrible on anything but a nice new fast computer.  I'm not changing browsers just so head fi will work.  I also do most of my browsing on my 2nd gen touch, and it is a horrible experience.  I only come here now when I really need to find something.  I used to come multiple times a day just to see what was up.  I know they are probably proud of how pretty the site is now, but functionally, Its really horrible.  I think its time they cut their losses and start over.  They arent doing themselves or the community any kind of service anymore.  The other headphone sites are looking better every day.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #21 of 26
Here's decent fix.  Chrome.  There's a reason as to why IE and Firefox now look like it.  Simple interface, **** fast speeds.  You won't regret the fix.  I find Firefox to be sadly a pile of garbage these days. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 26
My possible theory on why Head-fi has turned into clutter-fi may be to reduce the number of unnecessary posts from people who tend  to easily post a bit too much. And possibly to reduce the number of slightly "annoying" newbie posters (nothing against newbies). If people really want to post something important, they will do it. If a person wants to post something that is not really important, a cluttered forum could possibly be a deterrent or a "stupid post" filter. Perhaps spammers are spamming less here because of the odd layout of this board which can be daunting to first timers.

It seems to work in a way. Not as many people post in the members lounge forum like they used to. Perhaps a cluttered forum may improve the quality of posts and reduce the unnecessary traffic of such trivial posts. Not saying that my posts are any better though. This may be one of the goals of a cluttered forum. Just a theory though.

I don't know and if that is the case, it could be good or a little better. But for visual ergonomics, a cluttered board can be an obvious pet peeve at times- Especially when progressive people are demanding easier access in the digital age.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #23 of 26
I've spent quite a lot of time and $ quickening up the pc's I use- from upgrading internet connections to ssd/os/browser tweaks. The only application I don't see any improvement is browsing on headfi. Always intolerably slow. So slow that I haven't that much patience with it and don't really browse much now.  

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #24 of 26
Yes, this site is very slow and I don't visit that much either--the ads are horrendous.  When all the other sites I visit on a daily basis snap and this one plods along, one can't blame it on the hardware or browser software--it's this danged ad-driven philosophy and the way this site is coded.  The owner of Head-Fi needs to accept that this is a failed project unless the overriding concern was $$ instead of community.  I'm not here to generate money to the proprietor and their outsourcer.  Off to visit a real site...

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #25 of 26
Slow, definately.

Of course i've learn't sooooo much from this place and always thank it for that, but unfortunately there is no escaping the fact- the site needs some adjusting. I mean how I browse headfi now is using the fastest setup:
- google chrome 13
- Adblock plus  &  FlashBlock  extensions
- As a guest (signed off)  (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Using a fresh browsing history
- Trying to curb my addiction to tabbed browsing and limit number of tabs open (even though this computer is a beast)

this is still slow for my liking.

When i'm bored, i'll try to find a forum site that's slower than headfi when this killer killer stomach wrenching BUT AVERAGE setup is used: Singed on to my account and Internet explorer (crap/non existing extensions)!!!

......now i'll just log out if you don't mind..

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 26
Still affects even in ios device. I thought my firefox on pc was the one causing these. Sluggish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back