Amazing Portable Amp for Grado 325i's? - Help!
Sep 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

binkobonko

New Head-Fier
My usual set up is iMod - RSA Hornet - SR60's

But I just swapped my HD600's for a pair of Grado 325i's

The 600's didn't get much use, as I listen most on the move, and while they're great phones, I found them a little 'cold' and tended to prefer the SR60's. Plus I had a nagging feeling that if I wore them outside, they'd scream "please mug me". And I'd look like a dick.

So, I must like the Grado sound, right? Well and good. But when I hook up the 325's to my Hornet, I can't help feeling a little "underwhelmed" somehow. So I'm thinking:

1) The Hornet doesn't suit the Grado's, or
2) The Grado's are too mighty a beast to be put through their paces properly by a mere portable, or
3) All my music is ***** (though it's mostly Apple lossless), or
4) The Grado's are *****, or
5) Maybe I just need to get used to them a bit - I'm too used to the SR60's..?

In a previous post, a TTVJ Hybrid was mentioned, which I might well try. There's a meet in the UK in November, so hopefully someone will have one.

On a more general point, assuming the Grado's aren't *****, am I just getting to that point where I have to go full-size if I really want to take my listening to the 'next level'? Classical stuff sounds good through the Hornet, but most other music just doesnt wow me like the SR60's did, it sounds kind of muffled and uninspiring.

I MUST be getting something wrong, though, right? Confused..

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 16
how bout getting a home amp for them and use your sr60s on the move? Have you burned them in yet?

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Good point. I assumed because they were used they'd be, well, used! I'll run them for a bit..

I think I will look into a home amp - there's a meet coming up in Manchester soon, would be good to try some out.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 16
The 325i's need adequate burn-in. I haven't heard the 325i's on That setup, bt I love'em. Put 300 hrs before you really judge them. You're amp is probably not suited for the 325i.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 16
I used my 325i's w/ a Hornet M, sounds great to me.

Now I'm running my iPhone 3g -> Hornet -> HF2s. Hornet is a big improvement for sure.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 16
So whats your budget anyways?

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Are you planning on wearing you 325's outside? I'm thinking about buying some 325's or rs1's but I'm worried about looking an idiot. Mahogany in the outside world seems a little too much. Do you think they could be pulled off without being too overt?

I used to wear k701's outside and I warn you that requires big balls. I used to get laughed at all the time (probably rightly so, but I am an obsessive audiophile after all). I now have some Shure se530's which are good for IEM's but they almost make me cry when thinking about what I had before.

I used a Graham Slee Voyager with the AKG's which was pretty good I thought, but I'm looking for a change now. The voyager is quite large I always felt and cheap looking too.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiBoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning on wearing you 325's outside? I'm thinking about buying some 325's or rs1's but I'm worried about looking an idiot. Mahogany in the outside world seems a little too much. Do you think they could be pulled off without being too overt?

I used to wear k701's outside and I warn you that requires big balls. I used to get laughed at all the time (probably rightly so, but I am an obsessive audiophile after all). I now have some Shure se530's which are good for IEM's but they almost make me cry when thinking about what I had before.

I used a Graham Slee Voyager with the AKG's which was pretty good I thought, but I'm looking for a change now. The voyager is quite large I always felt and cheap looking too.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wearing Grados is like wearing head gear, they are not meant to be worn in public- at least, nothing short of the prestige series. People will think you're one of those UFO conspiracy theorists who reside in the land of geekdom. Grados are like the rat boy you keep in the basement, that you keep hidden from the public. Aside from that, I love my Grados in the privacy of my own home. They bring me joy like no other. The K701's scream "Take me to your leader"

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wearing Grados is like wearing head gear, they are not meant to be worn in public- at least, nothing short of the prestige series. People will think you're one of those UFO conspiracy theorists who reside in the land of geekdom. Grados are like the rat boy you keep in the basement, that you keep hidden from the public. Aside from that, I love my Grados in the privacy of my own home. They bring me joy like no other. The K701's scream "Take me to your leader"

I live in Seoul now so its a bit more acceptable to wear crazy things, I already stand out like a sore thumb due to being white (Seoul is the least racially diverse modern capital city in the world). I wore K701's when I lived in a small city in Poland, not quite so liberal.

On reflection it was ridiculous, but there's not much better than walking home in the dark with open headphones when its nice and silent
darthsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

So whats your budget anyways?

don't have one: if i heard something that just blew me away, i'd save for it

Quote:

yes, i think so. i wore my sr60's outside, and the 325i's aren't much different, just gold and heavier. only reservation i suppose is that sr60's got a bit beat up from being in my man-bag, and the 325's are in quite good nick. still, they're meant to be used, right?

i know what you mean. used to wear my hd600's out to walk the dog, but don't think i'd dare take them into town; don't really care about being laughed at, but I'd feel a bit vulnerable that some tosser might just rip them off my head.

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wearing Grados is like wearing head gear

headgear? you mean like a ball gag?

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 16
okay, for an update, TTVJ has kindly offered to loan me a Millett Hybrid, so we'll see how that works out.

if anyone has any other suggestions, even for a good home amp to match the 325i's, i'd be happy to hear them..

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 16
Yea, Im with estreeter lol what about portables.

I ended up with a RSA Tomahawk, after trying an iBasso D10 and hating it.
BUT the D10 drove my SR80i's great but were not enjoyable for any of my IEMs. Try googling the D10 and Grado, there seems to be some synergy there.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiBoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So finally did you get around wearing them outside.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 16
Well, wearing Skullcandy ain't the prettiest either. However, the society mysteriously accepts people having them @_@

Anyways, you have a lot of portable amps to try on. If you're a little low on budget, maybe the iBasso D2 or T4 should do the trick, maybe even the Total Bithead or Icon Mobile. I was eying the Pico and the Shadow, but they are quite expensive at about $300+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back