Amateur question about at home DAP use
Mar 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scott1

100+ Head-Fier
I have never owned a DAP since I have always used my phone for portable music but I have been thinking about getting one lately. I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly but if a DAP has coax out, is that is purely the digital signal? If this is correct, does anyone out there use their DAP at home as their primary source when connected through the coax out to bypass the onboard DAC when not on the go to use with a desktop DAC and amp? 

The type of signal out is what has me confused. I understand that most any DAP can be connected through the line out to an amp but I am interested in using it though my Lake People RS06 DAC when at home and being sure that I could bypass the onboard DAC would make my decision a lot easier.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 5
  I have never owned a DAP since I have always used my phone for portable music but I have been thinking about getting one lately. I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly but if a DAP has coax out, is that is purely the digital signal? If this is correct, does anyone out there use their DAP at home as their primary source when connected through the coax out to bypass the onboard DAC when not on the go to use with a desktop DAC and amp? 

The type of signal out is what has me confused. I understand that most any DAP can be connected through the line out to an amp but I am interested in using it though my Lake People RS06 DAC when at home and being sure that I could bypass the onboard DAC would make my decision a lot easier.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It can be done by having DAP as music transporter.

Instead I recommend you to buy a music server and connect DAC to music server. Most music server come with various option  to control the music from smartphone and come with Music streaming control very easily.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you, I had thought about that too but figured I could kill two birds with one stone if I could find a DAP with expandable storage to use on the go and at home for digital music. Is storage space the only reason you suggest a server instead or do you lose some fidelity using a DAP as a transport? Storage space isn't a big concern for me since I still listen to physical cds at home and wouldn't be ripping my entire music collection.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thank you, I had thought about that too but figured I could kill two birds with one stone if I could find a DAP with expandable storage to use on the go and at home for digital music. Is storage space the only reason you suggest a server instead or do you lose some fidelity using a DAP as a transport? Storage space isn't a big concern for me since I still listen to physical cds at home and wouldn't be ripping my entire music collection.

Storage is biggest concern that I instead recommend music server. But as your information given. I am recommending Fiio X5iii as transport. It has coaxial out, wifi, android, well-done sound with 2 memory slot

Lose fidelity or not, some can notice while others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back