[AMA] Just received my IER-H500A from sony
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WilliamCruz

Previously known as aaabbbcccdddaaa
I couldn't find many reviews online, so I took the plunge and ordered them. There was a delay in shipment. Eventually, I received it.
Ptve8mp.jpg

Sound
I found this pair of IEMs to be bassy, musical, and fun-sounding. It is a warm v-shape sound IEM with boomy bass, thick mids, and spacious soundstage.

There is a lot of bass emphasis. However, they are boomy and also don't extend very low. In particular tracks, the bass also bleeds and forms a veil around the mids. The amount of 'boom' might be unbearable for long listening sessions, even for bass heads.

TIP: The 'boom' and 'veil' can be fixed by cutting the sponge filter inside the nozzle by at least half of its actual length. The shorter the sponge filter, the less boomy the IEM. This tightened the bass and greatly improved Sound Quality. This simple mod is highly recommended. Replacements for the sponge filter are cheap and can be found online.

As for the highs, they aren't very laid back or forward, just the right amount. However, I could hear noticeable sibilance.

Comfort
These pairs of IEMS are incredibly comfortable as they are light and small.
The size of the nozzle is pretty tiny, as bigger nozzles tend to cause more discomfort.

Build
I am concerned as the cable is pretty flimsy and feels cheap compared to my other extreme budget IEMs namely KZ HDS3 and SONY MDR-EX300.

Conclusion
These are a lovely pair of earphones, and it's decent overall in comfort and fidelity.
There are better options like the GR07 in a different league at a higher price range.

However, I would still recommend it to people searching for a comfortable plus non-over ear design IEM that is fun-sounding. With the mod, of course.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I was searching for a fun sounding IEM for EDM, Games and Movies with a non-over ear design. I couldn't find many reviews online so i took the plunge and ordered them. There was a delay in shipment, eventually i received it.
Ptve8mp.jpg

Sound
Out of the box, I found these pair of IEMs to sit between warm and fun sounding.
It has a non-offensive sound signature. The soundstage is pretty good.. spacious and wide.
However, these aren't the qualities i wanted for a fun sound.

The bass was a little dull for my usage.
I went to my EQ, gave it a little bass boost and DAMM.. did it sound good.

Comfort
These pair of IEMS are extremely comfortable as they are light and small.
The size of the nozzle are pretty small @ 9mm, bigger nozzles tend to cause me discomfort.

I do have a concern as the cable is pretty filmsy and feels cheap compared to my other extreme budget IEMs namely KZ HDS3 and SONY MDR-EX300.

Conclusion
These are a enjoyable pair of headphones, it's decent overall in comfort and fidelity.
At this price range, there are better options like the GR07 which is in a different league.

However, I would still recommend it to people that are searching for a comfortable plus non-over ear design IEM with decent sound quality.

Which one has a larger soundstage and more open sound? This or GR07? What about the bass and highs quantity?

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 4
IER-H500A, particularly on aliexpress, is actually a very good pairing with the A45/A55 Walkman, although many have expressed dissatisfaction with IER-NW500N, its noise cancelling brother model. Something loosely termed 'synergy' is at play here. At least, this pair is optimal and would have been tested by the engineers. It had an ancestor MDR-EX750 aka hear. in 1. It's quite a satisfying IEM although it's discontinued.

Mine was made in 2018.

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Which one has a larger soundstage and more open sound? This or GR07? What about the bass and highs quantity?
This has a larger and more open soundstage, it also has much more bass quantity. However, the GR07 excels in almost every way and has more highs in quantity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back