Am I wimpy?
Mar 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
So, today I was at the gym talking to my favorite "music friend", Andy. He lent me his iPod while I was on the bike 'cuz he wanted me to hear Peter Gabriel's soundtrack work on the film "Rabbit-Proof Fence" (which I loved). We ofter share music - mostly obscure U2 stuff we come across. After he left I listened to The Beatles for the rest of my workout (their complete catalog has a permanent home on my Shuffle).

After going home and cleaning up I went out to do some errands. I stopped at BB and scanned the CD's. I shouldn't buy another CD this week (budget) because I just bought Stephen Malkmus' new CD the other day.

I saw Sara Bareilles' new CD on the shelf. I picked up Radiohead, instead. Then I picked up the older Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins CD. I put those two back. I held onto Sara...

I bought the Sara Bareilles CD. I really tried not to, even putting it back on the shelf three times before hitting the register. But I bought it based on that stupid TV commercial where she's in that guy's living room singing that catchy tune. I like that tune. I also think she's cute as Hell.

So, my question is: Am I wimpy? Have I been brainwashed by TV? Do I just think Sara Bareilles is really hot and maybe she'll like me if I buy her CD? I mean, the previous three CD's I bought are the Malkmus one, John Vanderslice's Emerald City, and Rob Zombie Live. She's not making the kind of music I go for. But I'm digging this CD. I'm scared. How long will it be 'til I pick up an Ashley Tisdale CD? Or one of the American Idol kids? What's happening to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?????!!!!!

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 27
nope. I like that song just based off that commercial too. Not to mention she looks gorgeous in that commercial (at least i think so).

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 27
I got her CD too for that one song.
redface.gif
(before seeing the commercial)

Actually I hate it because her piano sounds so thin and everything is the same volume. (quiet parts same as loud parts). So when she yells I don't 'feel' it.

And yes, you have been tricked by the marketers/advertisers into buying her CD- for good or for worse is up to you.

EDIT:
btw, the CD version is terrible imo
YouTube - Sara Bareilles-Love Song
that version has so much more emotion in it

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 27
Thanks guys. I just watched that YouTube video (thanks for the link, xnothingpoetic) and, you are right on the money - it's great - head & shoulders above the CD version. Man, I wish artists would release the demo versions of their songs along with their finished CD's. I imagine the demo of this song sounded just like this YouTube video. I like my music raw. It sounds so much better to me.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 27
You're not wimpy. Good marketing is supposed to make you do exactly what you did.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 27
You are not wimpy. You did it for (the) love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love....... (of her music)
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 27
Self-confidence is actually pretty high. The thread is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I thought that was pretty obvious
tongue.gif
. If I really needed Head-Fi for self-validation I'd be in trouble!

The Sara Bareilles CD fits in nicely alongside Regina Spektor, Jesca Hoop, Imogen Heap, Rilo Kiley, and a few other "pop girls" I've been listening to lately...

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I really needed Head-Fi for self-validation I'd be in trouble!

There are so many ppl asking RIDICULOUS questions on here these days that it's impossible to tell any more.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

So, my question is: Am I wimpy? Have I been brainwashed by TV? Do I just think Sara Bareilles is really hot and maybe she'll like me if I buy her CD?

Obviously.
biggrin.gif
After listening to that compressed mess of a song I am even more sure about that. You are demanded to go out and buy every Alana Davis album available to make up for it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 27
Okay, Oliver. Allmusicguide says I should buy "Fortune Cookies" from her list of three CD's. I've never heard any of her stuff. What do you think?

P.S. - I love it when artists (like Davis) are dropped after fighting with their record companies. That's usually when they begin making their best stuff.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Okay, Oliver. Allmusicguide says I should buy "Fortune Cookies" from her list of three CD's. I've never heard any of her stuff. What do you think?

Hm, I like "Surrender Dorothy" better (Telarc, by the way!). It's on iTunes/iTMS, you can listen in. Be sure to click "The Reaper".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back