Am I the only one who hates all these bright LED lights??
Nov 19, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

MatthewK

100+ Head-Fier
EVERYTHING has bright LED lights now. My computer, monitor, keyboard, cable modem, router, E-mu 0404 USB has a ton, Aphex 204, heck even the power strips. Those blue LEDs are the worst, they are always super bright. Then you've got the blinkers, like the ones in routers. I've got those pesky super bright blue ones in my router, so the whole room blinks in the dark!
mad.gif
It's all very distracting and unpleasant.

In an ideal world all devices would have some sort of dimmer knob for those darn lights, but sadly this is very rarely so. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to dim them? It would have to be 100% reversible in case I want to sell something.

The only thing I've come up with so far is some kind of tape to cover them, but I imagine it would end up looking pretty strange and might be an eyesore with those squares all over the place. Another idea is some kind of small sticker, like a little dot that covers them perfectly. Any other ideas?

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 41
lol, i know what you mean. when i use my bluetooth adapter for my laptop, it has this super bright blue led that blinks. i put 5+ layers of post-it paper over it to block the blinking. luckily, most of my other electronics don't have such an annoying led

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 41
I must've missed that thread Rednamalas1, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Although the only solution I see in that thread is using tape. Does anyone have any better ideas? Perhaps something more visually appealing so family and friends don't look at us any stranger than they already do?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 41
How about Blue Tack? It leaves no mess behind.

I was just thinking about starting a thread on how many colors of LED's people have in their systems. Now I think I'll let it go.

Laz

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Blue Tack? I leaves no mess behind.

I was just thinking about starting a thread on how many colors of LED's people have in their systems. Now I think I'll let it go.

Laz

loads and loads

xps m1710 lol, lucky u can lower brightness

there are sixteen different colours in 6 places

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 41
I ended up fixing the ones in my Fubar, because the blue one in particular was practically acting as a beacon to land aircraft. I ended up opening the box, and adding a sheet of thick paper in front of where the LED's sit. Took ages to make sure they were ending up in sensibnle positions, as they no-longer seated themselves in the holes drilled in the case, but it was well worth it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 41
I have somehow managed to have only the single blue LED on my Canamp visible throughout my entire computer and audio setup.

Business computers/technology seem to have the right idea, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 41
I can relate! I have several routers, switches, electronics with tons of LED's in my room. And at night I need to cover each one just so I can get to sleep! I don't mind them I just wish you could dim them somehow.

I have always considered getting glass tinting and putting some on each one .

k701smile.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 41
All lose LEDs and lights in general get on my nerves at night.
I've just ordered an amp for my electrostats with no LED or illuminated knobs etc. at all although it does provide quite a few features.
I'll know by the position of the knobs (or simply by hearing it) which feature is activated and the general status of the amp will be gently indicated by tube glow or the lack of it.

I don't have a solution for all those LEDs in mass produced electronics though.
My GF stitched thick curtains for my racks but those block IR signals from my remote controls as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back