Am I so bad in identifying sound quality?
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #106 of 571

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17


Quote:
If that's the case then you should enjoy those earbuds. I have tried blackberry earbuds, but a different one. 


Yeah I just listened to Beethoven's violin concerto in D major with the earbuds and the EX600. The violin sound coming out from the earbuds is simply amazing and just right for my ears. On the other hand the violin sound from the EX600 is a little harsh (crispy) and hurting my ears. I do like the EX600 for the symphony sound.
 
 
Jan 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #108 of 571

Coq de Combat

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Posts
2,732
Likes
264


Quote:
 
Honestly I don't think I can tell the difference listening the 128kpbs and 320kpbs.
 



Lower bitrate doesn't automatically mean worse sound quality, so depending on what mp3's you're listening to, there might actually be no difference to tell. People are used to thinking that more is better, but when it comes to data it just is not always true.
 
Anyway, if you feel like you enjoy music more from your cheap earbuds, don't worry. The IEMs were just not to your liking. It happens to all of us. Some of us give up, and others just keep trying other IEMs. I keep trying. I just sold one of the better dynamic IEMs in the RE-262 because I liked the sound signature of a much cheaper, less "hi-fi" IEM. Now I know what to not look for in an IEM and will choose my future IEMs with this experience in memory.
 
Jan 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #110 of 571

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17


Quote:
Lower bitrate doesn't automatically mean worse sound quality, so depending on what mp3's you're listening to, there might actually be no difference to tell. People are used to thinking that more is better, but when it comes to data it just is not always true.
 
Anyway, if you feel like you enjoy music more from your cheap earbuds, don't worry. The IEMs were just not to your liking. It happens to all of us. Some of us give up, and others just keep trying other IEMs. I keep trying. I just sold one of the better dynamic IEMs in the RE-262 because I liked the sound signature of a much cheaper, less "hi-fi" IEM. Now I know what to not look for in an IEM and will choose my future IEMs with this experience in memory.


Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I need one IEM that has the symphony sound of the EX600 but less harsh violin sound at the high end.
 
 
Jan 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #111 of 571

Coq de Combat

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Posts
2,732
Likes
264


Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I need one IEM that has the symphony sound of the EX600 but less harsh violin sound at the high end.
 


I don't know if you can help you there as I'm on the search for my own 'perfect' IEM. But go check out |Joker|'s and ClieOS' threads on IEMs and see what they have written about the ones you've heard and maybe start comparing there. Somewhere along the lines you'll find yours as well. Just don't be afraid of selling used and/or buying used - it'll be a lot cheaper for you in the end. If you eventually find one that is to your tastes you could always use it until it breaks and buy a new one later on. If your stores have a good return policy you might also take that road and just start somewhere (that is not with an EX600). You could always wait for it to burn in and see if it has less harsh violins later on. But something tells me that you might actually want something different.
 
Don't worry my friend. There are lots of helpful people out here and talking to them could point you towards the right direction..
 
Jan 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #112 of 571

lee730

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Posts
16,804
Likes
451

If you really enjoy your Denons I think the FX700 or IE80s would be a good choice for IEMs.
Quote:
Lower bitrate doesn't automatically mean worse sound quality, so depending on what mp3's you're listening to, there might actually be no difference to tell. People are used to thinking that more is better, but when it comes to data it just is not always true.
 
Anyway, if you feel like you enjoy music more from your cheap earbuds, don't worry. The IEMs were just not to your liking. It happens to all of us. Some of us give up, and others just keep trying other IEMs. I keep trying. I just sold one of the better dynamic IEMs in the RE-262 because I liked the sound signature of a much cheaper, less "hi-fi" IEM. Now I know what to not look for in an IEM and will choose my future IEMs with this experience in memory.



 
 
Jan 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #113 of 571

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17


Quote:
I don't know if you can help you there as I'm on the search for my own 'perfect' IEM. But go check out |Joker|'s and ClieOS' threads on IEMs and see what they have written about the ones you've heard and maybe start comparing there. Somewhere along the lines you'll find yours as well. Just don't be afraid of selling used and/or buying used - it'll be a lot cheaper for you in the end. If you eventually find one that is to your tastes you could always use it until it breaks and buy a new one later on. If your stores have a good return policy you might also take that road and just start somewhere (that is not with an EX600). You could always wait for it to burn in and see if it has less harsh violins later on. But something tells me that you might actually want something different.
 
Don't worry my friend. There are lots of helpful people out here and talking to them could point you towards the right direction..

Thanks. I am going to keep the EX600 for now and let it burn in for some more time. Who knows in one week I may get used to its sound sig and like it more. With that said, I will probably order a GR07 from Amazon and give it a try. Trying is the only way to find out if that's something I like.
 
Wish you luck finding your "perfect" IEM soon.
 
 
 
Jan 2, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #114 of 571

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74


Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I need one IEM that has the symphony sound of the EX600 but less harsh violin sound at the high end.
 



The EX600 is renowned for their grainy highs. The EX1000's highs are known to be grainy too. So if you really can't stand the harsh, grainy highs, you should try other IEMs like the Triple.Fi 10 or Etymotic ER-4/HF5
 
Jan 2, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #115 of 571

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17


Quote:
The EX600 is renowned for their grainy highs. The EX1000's highs are known to be grainy too. So if you really can't stand the harsh, grainy highs, you should try other IEMs like the Triple.Fi 10 or Etymotic ER-4/HF5


Don't have good feeling about Triple.Fi 10 from what I read.
 
How about GR07? This one seems giving me good feeling.
 
 
Jan 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #117 of 571

lostid

New name: DMinor
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Posts
872
Likes
17
Ladies and gentlemen,
 
I think I have figured out what have caused the earbuds so special to me. The photo below tells all: Remove all the cushions/plastic covers and listen with the metals. I say this because I just got a new pair of the same earbuds and decided to listen with and without the covers. The sound made BIG difference to my ears.
 
If you don't believe or curious about this, please give a try. It will cost you only 5 bucks and may be your dream earbuds.
 
Edit - As a bonus, the remote of the earbuds also works with iPhone 4s and itouch (2G) I tested.
 

 
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #119 of 571

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
8,602
Likes
1,599
Grado IEMs are very bass heavy and tend to have a V-shape to them...  I'd still recommend Etymotic, Brainwavz, ACS... 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top