Am i not an audiophile?
May 18, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #62 of 195
I agree 100% with you all! Audiophile grade headphones should always be able to produce sub-bass. But I guess the typical consensus, is that open backed headphones are uncapable, but I think thats crap. They might not be able to hit sub-bass as hard as closed back, but if they are finely tuned, they should produce.

May 18, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #63 of 195
I agree 100% with you all! Audiophile grade headphones should always be able to produce sub-bass. But I guess the typical consensus, is that open backed headphones are uncapable, but I think thats crap. They might not be able to hit sub-bass as hard as closed back, but if they are finely tuned, they should produce.
The Amiron Home is open backed headphone and the bass is simply really enjoyable. The vocale are also very realistic too. I think that's why I have it as main headphone aside the Amiron Wireless. The Amiron W produces realistic sounds too. Are they under-rated? The T5p.2 has good bass too but not that great.

May 18, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #64 of 195
That's not true.
Look at planars in that regard.
Many of them are capable to produce sub bass down to 20Hz without getting rolled off.
But to reach these lows they need a lot of power. :wink:

May 18, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #65 of 195
BTW, anybody know anybody on this site who can make custom aux cables? I'm getting tired of this thin cable crap you can only buy in stores. I want a thick cable probably using 14 gauge wires inside, fully copper wire if possible, fully shielded with a quality jacket that is royal blue in color, with 24K gold plated connectors, that have recessed ends to fit V-Moda headphones, and I'd like it 8 foot in length.

May 18, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #66 of 195
Haven't been able to experience with planars much, I had tried the Sundaras but I have no memory of how they sound nowadays. I've heard of the bass extension going LOW LOW LOW and of course the infamous bass slam.

May 18, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #67 of 195
That's not true.
Look at planars in that regard.
Many of them are capable to produce sub bass down to 20Hz without getting rolled off.
But to reach these lows they need a lot of power. :wink:
Portable devices won't be able to power them?

May 18, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #68 of 195
Portable devices won't be able to power them?
They can, to a certain level.
But not to their intented sound.
It needs a lot of power to bring the lows on a planar to their full potential.
Most planars are also very low in sensitivity, which means they're harder to drive, despite the low impedance.

May 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #69 of 195
Hifiman Edition X v2 I used to have went loud very quickly powered by audio gd C-2; they had decent bass but not too much slam. On the other hand, I listen to music at relatively low volumes, maybe it's not ideal for bass experience?

May 19, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #70 of 195
Hifiman Edition X v2 I used to have went loud very quickly powered by audio gd C-2; they had decent bass but not too much slam. On the other hand, I listen to music at relatively low volumes, maybe it's not ideal for bass experience?

I've always liked the look of those open back headphones that are in your avatar. I think those are high end audiophile headphones arn't they? How are all the frequency ranges on those, do you like them? I am pretty sure Zeo's has a review on those along with a sound demo, I probably should have a listen. Of course, I know I wouldn't be hearing them as if they are on my head no. But I could still get a reference to how they sound though, in comparison to my V-Moda's.

May 19, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #71 of 195
I've always liked the look of those open back headphones that are in your avatar. I think those are high end audiophile headphones arn't they? How are all the frequency ranges on those, do you like them? I am pretty sure Zeo's has a review on those along with a sound demo, I probably should have a listen. Of course, I know I wouldn't be hearing them as if they are on my head no. But I could still get a reference to how they sound though, in comparison to my V-Moda's.
You'll just hear the tonal difference, not the sound signature of the HD800 in his avatar, trust me. :wink:
None of your headphones is capable to show how the HD800 really sounds.
There're only a handful headphones out there which goes close to the headstage/earstage of this Senni.
Best way is to heading to a local store with your prefered music on hand for an autition, imho.
I did it in the past and was impressed by the wide they can deliver with a feeling of non existance while on your head. :)
But the thin bass, compared to other headphones there, and the overall tonal presentation wasn't my cup of tea, but maybe it'll impresses you far more it did to me.
Paired with a nice tube amp it's gonna turn into a very enjoyable listening experience, i guess.
The tubes should dam the incredible highs, i discovered myself with the ss demo unit, and could bring a bit more of some bass on the bottom.

I have to admit that i'm more of a mid centric guy when it comes to tonal balance. :wink:

Have a great day and keep listening.
Chris

Edit.
There're great deals of them in the sales forum from time to time.
Keep looking there to start your journey.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #73 of 195

What do you define as sub-bass?

I define low bass as 20Hz-40Hz (41.5 E-string on bass, 32 lowest Organ).

under 20 Hz is sub-bass. People can barely hear that, they can feel it. 12 Hz is the lowest humans can hear at all, and that only under specific circumstances.

I guess younger people like the manufactured tones in dance music. For me 30 Hz is essentially the end of what I want, but I'll test to 20 Hz to be sure of capacity. But sub-bass under 20 Hz, not a requirement IMO.

Yeah, I have 2 cans capable of sub 20 Hz - both open planars, now due to the open nature of them you might need to put in a +3 on the EQ, but they produce it well. Two more cans good down to about 28 Hz, same story, both open planars. The bass kick you can get out of closed cans isn't worth it IMO in terms of tiny headstages and excessive reverb unless brilliantly (or carefully at least) engineered - very very few closed cans meet that criteria.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #74 of 195
Actually, I have never owned hd 800, only tried them briefly at a shop. I wasn't sure how I felt about the way they sat on my head - they are very spacious, but the cups do cover a big area of your face. They generally have a reputation for light bass, though.

May 19, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #75 of 195
What about the Sennheiser HD559, 569 and 599? I'd like to get one of them and which has heavy bass while all the detail are not hidden? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back