Am I hearing things correctly?
Aug 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ExquisiteZero

New Head-Fier
well, the HD438. I feel that the bass is bleeding into the mids. Bass bleed, not sure what that means. The distortion of the bass is quite disturbing. The overall sound is actually...rough, not smooth, not clean. Actually, my description aren't quite accurate. Hope you get what I mean.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 9
I can't return it lol. It's bought from a shop and the policy is not refundable. Unless it's a defect product of course. Yeah, I will pick that up soon. Thanks. Is there anyway to solve my current problem, though?

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I can't return it lol. It's bought from a shop and the policy is not refundable. Unless it's a defect product of course. Yeah, I will pick that up soon. Thanks. Is there anyway to solve my current problem, though?

Heya,

Equalizer. Drop the entire equalizer a few dB down, and then bring the mids up to the zero line. See what you think of the sound. By a few, maybe 2-3 dB, then +/- 1 dB to find a sound that works for you.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Lol still. I'm not gonna pay for something that sounds equally bad, even if it cost me $20+

May I know which one is the mids? Because I am completely dumb when it comes to headphone and stuff. New to the scene :D

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Lol still. I'm not gonna pay for something that sounds equally bad, even if it cost me $20+

May I know which one is the mids? Because I am completely dumb when it comes to headphone and stuff. New to the scene :D

Heya,

Highs are about 5kHz~20Khz
Upper Mids 2.5kHz~5kHz
Mids 400Hz~2.5kHz
Mids / Bass 140Hz~400Hz
Bass 140Hz and below

If you look at the frequency response of the HD438, you'll see where it's mids are so you know which ones to bring up for a more neutral sound (or you can just do it by ear):=1223] Link to graph. There's a big dip from about 1kHz to 3kHz. So if you lower everything before that a few dB, it will become more neutral.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Well, the equalizer for my android isn't QUITE the same or maybe it's just me. But I will continue to tweak the equalizer. Actually, I think the sound is better than before now that I tweaked them a little. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 9
I think I tried those some time back and they express very well what most people think of the HD4xx Sennheiser series: muffled. Besides equalizing, you should try and clear some space between the driver and your ears. Remove the pads, see if there's a cloth/paper covering the driver. If there is, open the cups, remove the cloth or whatever it is, put the cups back together, put the pads on and try to hear a difference.

Also have you burned them in? There might be a noticeable difference with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back