Am I going insane? As I was just about to sell my DT-990...
Nov 26, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Which I used to think I didn't like, I have just found out I love them and it's my favorite phone right now. I used to describe them as hollow sounding and headache indulcing, and the fact that unless they were too loud they didn't sound like the music was there at all.

Now its precise bass punch and open, detailed sound is all I'm digging. They're singing! I can't stand the phones that were supposed to redeem all headphones (in my view, considering my taste), the HD650 anymore. They made me go back to the 990s and love them! They're just sounding harsh, bass lacking (???) and it feels like they're lacking a whole dimension to music making. Just stiff. I'm still not getting all the involvement and impact from the DT990 that I used to have with the 580s, at least from memory. The 650s are also not quite close to the 580's glorious, extended bass. I remember it going very low and never sounding overdone or excessive. Dry and punchy.

Is the Meier Opera the culprit? Is it really bad with HD650s?

I mean, this is kind of stupid.

My first headphones back in the 90's were a pair of Senn HD580s. They were incredible, I was very happy with them, amplified by a Creek OBH-11 nonetheless, and felt really satisfied.

Then I decided it was time to try new phones... I sold the 580s because they were really destroyed, completely worn. Stupid decision.

Since then I've tried BeyerDynamic DT770(bassy, muddy, hollow in the mida and nasal in the highs, a disaster)/880(analytical and boring, lacking musicality)/990(above), AKG K701 (boring), Grado SR225/325i (both ARGH bright but I did like their highflying delivery style), all kinds of portable, in-ear, etc...

I mean, I feel kind of crazy over all over. What could have caused such a change of heart? Will I ever have the sound I used to have with my 580s and Creek or is that just my imagination?

Just needed to vent...
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 8
it could psychological. you thought the bass extension of the hd580 is better than the hd650, which we know for a fact isn't true. go back and have a listen to a hd580 and let us know if you still feel the same way about them. you just didn't have a point of reference at that time when those were your only headphones, but now you do.

alternatively, it could be that you've always preferred the sound signature of the hd580, in which case i think you should get the hd580/hd600 and see if that's still the case.

from what i can tell, your tastes have been evolving, because you're liking headphones you previously disliked and not liking ones that you previous did like. hard to tell what you'll want now.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmmm... hopefully my experience will turn out to be different than yours.

I just recently sold my pair of DT-880s for the same reasons you mention: hollow sounding, headache-inducing. Very tipped to the treble side of the fence, and ended up sounding very sterile to me. I replaced them with HD-600s (which have yet to come in the mail). I have to admit that I haven't heard these actually headphones, but I did a lot of research, and it seems that these may fit my personal bill just fine.

I used to love the Beyers, though, but they just started to grate on my nerves after awhile. Hopefully I won't end up regretting my recent decision!
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toppop, I'd love to hear your impressions once you get the HD600!

Will do!
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Might be the Opera, this isn't the first synergy thread I've read about a Beyer and a Meier. I've found that with my Cantante and 480.
Top, let us know how they sound, I'm gonna probably pick up a pair soon too. I used to own them (briefly) but made the newb mistake of not having a system, nor the amp to make them sing.
What I heard was promising, and I've been meaning to give them a real shot this time.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Nice to see you got that off your chest!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back