Am I going crazy or what?
Apr 29, 2006 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mypasswordis

Member of the Trade: Corsonus
I seem to be listening to music at a significantly lower volume than when I first joined Headfi a few months ago. Obviously my perceived volume is the same but the actual volume says otherwise. Anyone else can explain why/have the same experience?
eek.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 14
Do you mean that you are listening at lower volumes through headphones only, or through all sources, i.e. loudspeakers also? I do notice that progressively turning the volume down on my headphone listening--1 dB at a time, here and there--makes me think the sound is louder when I turn it back up. It makes everything sound louder.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Headphones, mainly.

I'm curious because it could either mean that my ears are hurting and can't take much more (which is bad) or that my hearing is better and I won't develop tinnitus until a few more years down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 14
It could also be that you don't need to block out outside sound as much depending on what you were listening to and what you are listening to now.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
It could also be that you don't need to block out outside sound as much depending on what you were listening to and what you are listening to now.

Er, no, I'm not listening to louder stuff. Same music, same place, same headphones.
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
Headphones, mainly.

I'm curious because it could either mean that my ears are hurting and can't take much more (which is bad) or that my hearing is better and I won't develop tinnitus until a few more years down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

Hearing doesn't improve at the ear. It could be in your head.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
You're not going crazy. You're maturing.

Ditto. When I first came to headfi I would normally listen to my car radio at the 20 - 24 volume setting. Now 14 seems too loud. It is the same with my other gear as well. I now mostly listen to music at half the volume, or less, of what I was accustomed to.
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Wait a minute. I just realized, the same thing is happening to me. I'm now listening at levels where I can actually hear a coversation over the music. What's going on?

Maturity? No, that's not it.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Yup,....I listen at lower listening levels too!! Bet it has something to with learning to listen.

That, and better cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back