am I demode if I buy creek OBH-11
Apr 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

munkong

Member of the Trade: Munkong Gadget
after read this review, I'm interest in OBH-11http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm
(review RS2 by sam's space from stereophile)

am I demode if I buy creek OBH-11 !!!
I want to buy cheap home amp (around $150-200)
am I stupid if I buy 1 of OHB-11

can you suggest me for other one
or you agree with OHB-11 ??

**my wallet is very lean
580smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 6
The non-SE version of the OBH-11 is a crappy amp IMO (owned one for a while).

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I have an OBH-11. Not much longer, though, since I've got too many amps (and projects) and I am giving it to my uncle with a pair of HD-580s. I think those will serve him just fine.

They don't get much love around here, but it's not that bad. Sure, all the DIY amps and most of the commerical ones discussed here are better, but the OBH-11 isn't garbage.

It's a little like buying an economy car. It will get you from place to place just as well as a luxury car. Not as nice, but you can still get where you need to go.

Considering the price, it's not so bad. They usually have a decent resale, so if you choose to upgrade later on, you can eBay it and not take too big of a hit.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I tried one of those borrowed from a friend for a few weeks and the thing made me question the utility of headphone amps: All the cans I tried with it sounded worst than unamped. The only effect was adding grain and making the sound uninvolving. After a few days I stopped using it altogheter.

With so many nice amps available at the moment even for less than $150, I would definetely stay away from it

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
The OBH-11 was my first headphone amp. It's a great place to start and should give you many many hours of enjoyment. I eventually traded up to the OBH-11SE, then to the HeadRoom Max, etc. So yes, it's a great starter amp, but just be careful of your lean wallet because if you continue in this hoby, you will eventually upgrade.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 6
We certainly won't demote you. However the question does come to mind, "how long before you buy Bose equiptment and call it an "upgrade", huh? If that happens, your outta here.
eggosmile.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back