Am I deaf?
Mar 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

madad

New Head-Fier
Hi there, bit of a noob to all this stuff, but recently got myself a pocket amp 2, and a sendstation pocket dock to see if I could squeeze some extra life out of my iPhone 3GS and my Sennheiser HD555's.

But..

I cannot for the life of me hear any difference. Am I going deaf? I have listened to a lot of music in my time, but I don't consider myself to have poor hearing. I have been assured I should hear a significant improvement in sound quality, but I have to admit (after a LOT of testing, including making sure I'm using apple lossless files ripped personally with iTunes etc) I really can't tell the difference between listening through the pocket amp and listening through the 3.5mm jack in the top of the device.

Is this expected? Do I need to spend lots of money on some new headphones?

I'd appreciate some help on this one, as I may end up backtracking and selling all the extra stuff I seem to now be carrying around and configuring when I get to work in the morning (much to the interest of those around me!)

Cheers
Adam.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Try using the ipod headphone out with stock apple earbuds for a week and switch back...oh well you should consider looking for a LOD and hm-while I'm not sure if HD555's are hard to drive (I have the inkilng that they are), you could probably notice some improvement with better amplification...a LOD helps loads in my opinion...

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey thanks for the quick response.. yeah the pocketdock provides a line out, as per an LOD.. and the pocket amp 2 is an outboard amp.. so not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Mar 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah right.  Unfortunately I don't really know any components of your rig, but if you get the chance it would be beneficial to listen to other audio rigs to see what you're missing.  In my case it was the difference between a portable source (cowon d2) to another portable source (5.5 ipod classic + LOD + FiioE5) to a entry-level computer setup (2006/2009 Zero DACs + upgrades).  I have a feeling that your pocket amp 2 might not be enough to sufficiently drive your HD555, but if you have the chance to plug them in to a better setup, that would tell you if you reached their maximum potential or not.

[edit]

And no, you do not need to spend a large sum of money for decent headphones, there are several  bang-for-the-bucks around if do some searching...

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Bang for buck cheapies I own/have owned:

KSC-75
PX200 II
ES7 (ok, not as cheap, but very good)

You dont have to spend a fortune - all of these sound great straight from headphone out on a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back