Am I crazy? HD555 are the ultimate headphones?
Nov 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 26
  How many other headphones have you heard and compared to the HD555?

Currently I have six pairs of cans apart from HD555, but I also had AKG K-701, ULTRASONE HIFI 780, Beyerdynamic DT-990 (non-PRO) and some other I vaguely remember.
The K-701 I really liked when I boosted bass (+3db) on Leben CS-300 I had back then. These were great headphones for good quality recordings. I don't have the Leben any more unfortunately.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #18 of 26
Yes, I modified my HD555 long time ago. I don't really remember how it sounds with the foam.

Yesterday I bought like new HD598 for around 90 USD
bigsmile_face.gif

I will tell you if it sounds any diffrent than modded HD555 when it arrives.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 26
For an open headphone I find the HD555 really inadequate because the bass is very lean and technically not neutral sounding because of this issue. They are pretty good for movies and some games however.

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 26
Please help me out here. I ordered HD598 thinking it will be similar headphones to HD555 just slightly better. A few days ago I received the headphones (slightly used). I pluged them in and I was shocked. What I heard was huge muddy bass and very pronounced lower midrange. The rest of the frequency range was completely overshadowed by bottom end. That is completely opposite to what I was reading about them in the reviews and comparisons. In reviews they were described as very detailed with lean bass. I heard something COMPLETELY different. I was convinced I got damaged headphones. I sent an email saying I got broken cans... I decided I want to check how HD598 sounds anyway so I ordered another pair from another seller (also slightly used). To my suprise they sound the same
confused.gif
  It seems unlikely they are both broken. Or maybe this model is suspectible to damage? I don't know what is going on. I must admit they were both purchased for a bargain price in very good physical state, maybe they are fakes?

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #25 of 26
Currently I have six pairs of cans apart from HD555, but I also had AKG K-701, ULTRASONE HIFI 780, Beyerdynamic DT-990 (non-PRO) and some other I vaguely remember.
The K-701 I really liked when I boosted bass (+3db) on Leben CS-300 I had back then. These were great headphones for good quality recordings. I don't have the Leben any more unfortunately.

Based on what you said above, and what I've read about the Q701 vs the K701 (a tad more bass), it may be a great headphone for your listening tastes.

I got mine for less than $140 from Amazon Warehouse Deals...very good headphone for the money that isn't difficult to drive. Am currently enjoying it straight out of my LG V10 phone (ESS 9018 DAC / 9062 Amp) and it sounds great.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #26 of 26
yeah, if you go bargain hunting on HD 598s, you'll VERY often get scammed.  Think I read somewhere recently where they are the second most faked headphone (after Beats).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back