Am I CRAZY for not liking the Senn 650's
Jul 19, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently got the HD 650’s with the HeadRoom Micro (Desktop Module) The ting is I am not that impressed. There is a clear improvement in sound over my UE 5c’s, but the thing is thee Ultimate Ears almost sound more “fun” to listen to.

I just thought there would be more of a wow factor with the 650’s. From where I stand right now they don’t sound like a 499-dollar upgrade to my Ultimate Ears. I doubt that there sound will improve/change that much throughout the burn-in process. I remember auditioning a pair of Grado sr 80 in a local audio shop and being a lot more happy with the sound. Could it be that I’m a Grado guy.

What do you think I should do. One small caveat, I have to make my decision in the next week or so because I will be heading to the States on vacation and won’t be back in time for the refund period.

My last idea was to return the whole rig, and purchase a pair of Grado sr 80 and the Hornet (for use with my UE’s too) from RSA when it comes out.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 75
Trust me, it's not crazy. I've become an alessandro/grado guy as well. I've tried HD555 and HD202 and I found them both not to be of my taste. Guess the Senn house sound isn't for me (or you from what I can see).
To each their own I guess. We'll see what happens when I get those ms-2i's...
rs1smile.gif

Cheers!

~Tom

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 75
No, you're not crazy. I don't like them either. Well, I guess it could be that we're both crazy, but, more likely it's just personal preferences as far as headphones go. If you liked the Grados, I'm not surprised that you don't like the Senns. They seem to be in a binary relationship for many people, e.g. you like one and don't like the other.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 75
You're not crazy, that's why there's so many different headphones, that's so many different tastes in sound.

My ideal headphone is somewhere in between Grados and Sennheisers.....still lookin'!

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 75
Same here, you're definitely not crazy. I like my beyers so much more than the 650 that i almost couldnt believe people would actually want to buy a 650 given something like the 770 exists but at the end of the day, its preference tha rules, and different people like different sorts of sounds. I'm still looking for the ultimate phone, a beyer 770 with improved mids. dont expect to find one though.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
You're not crazy, that's why there's so many different headphones, that's so many different tastes in sound.

My ideal headphone is somewhere in between Grados and Sennheisers.....still lookin'!

Have you tried the Senns with a bright source and bright amp?

BTW, I don't really like the HD650s either. I prefer the HD600s
600smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 75
Nope not nuts in the least, I don't like the 650s either, I as well prefered the 600s, and my 595s fall second favorite to those. The 650s IMO are way too bloated bass wise, and they really don't impress me.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 75
For me, I cant give up my 650s paired with the GS1... it's too good!

Everyone's miles vary so it isnt surprising that the 650s dont meet your expectations.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 75
Sorry for the thread hijacking, but I've auditioned the 595's and found that I don't like them. I know they dont have that Senn house sound or either the Grados, so which camp do I fall in? Note there arent many hifi shops where I'm from.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 75
At a recent meet, I tried HD-650s on a few different amp setups. It sounded very different on each - and the Headroom micro amp with desktop module was one of them. This amp seemed to mate much less well than the others (which I can't remember the names of).

I'd give 'em another try on something like a Gilmore Lite.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 75
No, you're crazy for stating an opinion not liking the 650s when you're not on Cresendupower's Particularly Knowledgeable Head-Fiers List. Unless you have heard them listening to the live feed of a cheezy pop-rock band, plugged into a Nuclear Reactor, shut your trap.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

I guess that's my queue. I was struggling with the same issue, however it seems I found a few solutions. imho, ymmv

1) Woodied HD-600's. Basically they are turned into a much more forward (like Grado's) set of cans and it does away with that "lush puppy" feel. Now I have to take more frequent breaks while listening to them. A cable upgrade finishes the job.

2) Grado 325i's woodied with zeta flat & port and re-cable. The stock 325i's are nice and punshy, but imo a little bright. After the mod all the downfalls are gone and fine tuning is available through the ports. They are a significant improvement over stock and a great all-around performer.

The stock HD-600's are amazing when driven with the right source. Coming out of a portable even with good amplification, they leave room for improvement. Grado's are much better in this scenario, imo, with the RS-1 just being plain amazing. However moving to a big rig the gap closes drastically, and the Senns begin to shine, and I mean rather bright
600smile.gif

There is simply no single can that will be best in all circumstances, and the Senn HD-600, especially modded, holds its place in the have-to-have crowd.

My two cents...

[size=x-small]If anyone is interested or is not familiar with the mods, I can post a pic or two. Just let me know.[/size]

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
Am I CRAZY for not liking the Senn 650's?

I'm using the 650's with my Micro stack (desktop module) and I really love the combination. I've got a bunch of good phones, but I prefer the 650's with this particular rig.

That doesn't make either of us crazy...we just have different ears.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back