Altiat CAL.1H — Official Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 9, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #61 of 106
I recently picked up the MG. Might I ask that you provide a brief description - comparison between these two headphones? I would really appreciate it.
Much of the comparative differences are as I wrote in my notes. The Clear Mg is gone now, but based on my notes and memory:

Focal is more extended on top and bottom. More air up top, slightly more bass. But for me, the bass on the Cal 1H is extremely well-defined and tight....the Focal can be a bit looser, even though deeper. The mids to me were both great, nice and transparent without any major colorations.

And while the Clear Mg does great for image specificity within the soundstage, the total soundstage was noticeably smaller for me. The Cal 1H had much or all of that pinpoint imaging but it expanded easier outside the head.

So ultimately a trade-off, and I'd say in the end it's a matter of personal taste....

All that said, I found that the amp I USED to have, and ecp DSHA-3F, drive the Clear Mg's (and all Focal's) amazingly well. That synergy might have made me change my personal preference to the Clear Mg. But it also makes me wonder how it would drive the Cal 1H too....

May 9, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #62 of 106
Much of the comparative differences are as I wrote in my notes. The Clear Mg is gone now, but based on my notes and memory:

Focal is more extended on top and bottom. More air up top, slightly more bass. But for me, the bass on the Cal 1H is extremely well-defined and tight....the Focal can be a bit looser, even though deeper. The mids to me were both great, nice and transparent without any major colorations.

And while the Clear Mg does great for image specificity within the soundstage, the total soundstage was noticeably smaller for me. The Cal 1H had much or all of that pinpoint imaging but it expanded easier outside the head.

So ultimately a trade-off, and I'd say in the end it's a matter of personal taste....

All that said, I found that the amp I USED to have, and ecp DSHA-3F, drive the Clear Mg's (and all Focal's) amazingly well. That synergy might have made me change my personal preference to the Clear Mg. But it also makes me wonder how it would drive the Cal 1H too....
Very good. Much appreciated 👍

May 16, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #63 of 106
I am going to be listing my Cal 1H in the classifieds. Absolutely nothing wrong with them and no complaints about the sound or comfort. I just need to downsize my collection and going to primarily electrostats. Check the listings if you are interested. Orange sandstone with alcantara pads and 1/8" cable.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #67 of 106
2022_0617_15360600.jpg

Finally able to hands on Cal.1H.

Initial impression:
A lively character, punch/impact/bite on each notes seems energetic. Good sign of musicality feel indeed. Detail and separation are really nice for this kind of price. Clean, rich, and neat.

Bass punch hard, in "fun" side, but still remain tight and agile. Vocal is a slight more forward in upper mid area, than lower mid area, but remain balance overall, not being V-Shape. Airiness on treble is delicate and smooth. On bad recording could be there are some "peak" in upper mid / low treble area, but rarely happen unless recording really call for it.

Soundstage simply amaze me. Not only it is spacious, but also in 3D sphere shape, that help to construct imaging depth nicely.

Build quality is crazily solid.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #68 of 106
2022_0617_15360600.jpg

Finally able to hands on Cal.1H.

Initial impression:
A lively character, punch/impact/bite on each notes seems energetic. Good sign of musicality feel indeed. Detail and separation are really nice for this kind of price. Clean, rich, and neat.

Bass punch hard, in "fun" side, but still remain tight and agile. Vocal is a slight more forward in upper mid area, than lower mid area, but remain balance overall, not being V-Shape. Airiness on treble is delicate and smooth. On bad recording could be there are some "peak" in upper mid / low treble area, but rarely happen unless recording really call for it.

Soundstage simply amaze me. Not only it is spacious, but also in 3D sphere shape, that help to construct imaging depth nicely.

Build quality is crazily solid.
I blame this guy for whatever goodness to happened on Monday wkwkwkwkwk

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #69 of 106
Miami Vice is officially out:
DSC05002-2.jpg

DSC05007-2.jpg

It's looking very good :wink:

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #72 of 106
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #74 of 106
Are they in route?
No 😭

I'm not rushing Aumkar because I know he has been bombarded with orders, and that customers are his priority.

However, sooner or later you will be receiving the expected "voja" review. This being said, all I can say is be as patient as me. I know it's a lot to ask comsidering how long ago I told you that I'll be receiving these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back