Alternatives to the ATH-M50 around $100
May 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 35
Well the M50's are really quite balanced and you can get a brand new pair off ebay for $96.

..... less than a hundred dollars away from pure bliss :wink:......

May 21, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 35
Also the "Audio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 RD RED | DJ Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) " are $102 on amazon and have a detachable cable.. (And look pretty slick IMO) but are a little less ballanced (MORE BASS!) haha btw im no basshead (listen to mostly new rock) but still BASS = FUN 

May 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 35
  Also the "Audio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 RD RED | DJ Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) " are $102 on amazon and have a detachable cable.. (And look pretty slick IMO) but are a little less ballanced (MORE BASS!) haha btw im no basshead (listen to mostly new rock) but still BASS = FUN 

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out too.

May 22, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 35
I'm "this" close to deciding on the donscorpio dolphins after reading a couple reviews. Sounds like a sweet pair of headphones!

They are very nice for the money.

You can also mod them very easily to increase the soundstage by just removing the piece of foam and tape. It also increases the treble response: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2580#post_10479961

I like them with the tape removed. For me, the sound is more balanced without the mod (some people like the frequency response better with the mod), but the bigger soundstage still makes it worth it to me. So I just EQ down the increased treble.

May 23, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #24 of 35
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0081R7XR2/

Lowest price new on Onkyo ES-HF300 is $95, the cable connection can be a pain, but the sound is solid.

May 27, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 35
I'm not a fan of the mmcx connection on a full sized headphone like this, and have had a couple of faulty connectors when purchasing before getting a good one. I'd say for that price, if its still available, its a steal. I must admit nonstandard connections annoy me, though, so I'm overly critical.

May 27, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 35
  I'm "this" close to deciding on the donscorpio dolphins after reading a couple reviews. Sounds like a sweet pair of headphones!

Do it 
biggrin.gif

Honestly the Dolphin's are one hell of a good value headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back