Alternatives to SR325...suggestions please
Mar 28, 2004 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
I am currently using Grado SR325 with a Supermicro to the lineout of a Sony D-E551. While I am enjoying it for the most part, I find the brightness and forwardness of the Grados to be too much for about half of my CD collection, poorly mastered heavy and melodic metal (any Moonspell fans here at Head-Fi? They sound DREADFUL on this setup
frown.gif
)
So here's what ideally I'd like: an open, less bright, and slightly less forward alternate to the SR325. I suppose less detailed would be beneficial for poor recording also. I'd like a wider soundstage also, at times listening to Tool performing in a phone booth gets disturbing.
I'd also throw in as a reference that my previous can of choice was the AKG K240S, which I found very good with almost all of my CD's, but ultimately the strong bass IMO was too prevalent.
One can that has me intrigued is the new HD595, anyone who has heard them in action find them good for metal?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've been searching the boards for a few weeks now, and I'm terribly undecisive. I have a few cans I've zeroed in on, but it will be more interesting to see what others suggest without tainting the thread with my own suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I know this might sound crazy, but the SR225 is everything you are looking for (save the soundstage), it is less bright and detailed than the 325 for sure, and not quite as aggressive sounding.

The HD595 sounds like it could be a good option as well, but I've not heard it so, ??

Not crazy at all. The SR225 was one of the phones I was looking at. My main reservation is the soundstage issue. I can't listen to the limited soundstage for very long without it becoming very annoying, and a bit disorienting (I have a minor inbalance in my left ear that has only reared it's head with SR325.)
The HD595 was another intriguing can, definately one to consider.

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by EyeAmEye
Not crazy at all. The SR225 was one of the phones I was looking at. My main reservation is the soundstage issue. I can't listen to the limited soundstage for very long without it becoming very annoying, and a bit disorienting (I have a minor inbalance in my left ear that has only reared it's head with SR325.)
The HD595 was another intriguing can, definately one to consider.

You are in a rather tough position. All the other open cans I can think of with good soundstage ar of the rather laid-back variety (K501, HD580/600/650, DT880), save the Beyer DT531 and DT990, but I'm not sure whether those cans are known for having much of a soundstage or not.

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 19
The closed can that came to mind is the A900, which will give you a welcome comfort break from the Grados. They are also definitely not as brigh or aggressive as the 325, though they are still on the up-front side of the spectrum. They don't have an amazing soundstage like the CD3000 or K1000, but it is pretty darned wide for closed cans, definitely moreso that the Grados. The focus of the sound is on the mids, though the treble and bass are well-balanced as well.

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
All the other open cans I can think of with good soundstage ar of the rather laid-back variety (K501, HD580/600/650, DT880),

LOL, the K1000's are as open as it gets, and they are anything but laid back.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
Ever tried the flatpads?

Of course, if it weren't for the flats Todd would have received the SR325 back before he knew it was gone.
biggrin.gif

I do remember how much I loved the AKG mids on the K240S, even though they are not regarded as "rock" phones, could the K401 or 501 be a welcome change?
I was listening some more to SR325 over the past few hours with a few staple favorites, Tiamat "Prey", Moonspell "The Butterfly Effect", Celldweller "Celldweller", Rammstein "Mutter" and Vast "Nude". I've come to the conclusion that the SR325 has got to go. As I previously metioned, it's terrible with Moonspell, not to hot with Vast or Celldweller. It does Tiamat justice, but I think a slightly less forward and a shade warmer would be better. I will miss it with Rammstein (has anyone here ever heard this album with the SR325, it's INSANE
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Mar 28, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
ms-2

the alessandro's might be better as many people think of them to be kind of neutral grado's
I will know soon
I am getting the MS Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 19
If you liked the K240S a lot except for the bass, why not try the K271S? They have the same basic sound, but leaner bass. Soundstage is good (IMHO better than the K240S). Normally I'd recommend the K240S over the K271S because I feel the K240S has more balanced bass, but if you thought it was too much, the 271 is the logical choice.

You'd probably also like the K501 or K401, but I haven't heard those phones so I can't comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back