Alternatives to ipod
Dec 14, 2005 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

robzy

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Long story short, my 3g 30gb ipod has gone down the crapper, and ive managed to justify the price of a new 60gb 5g.

My question is - should i be looking at other portable DAPs now? What else is available in the ipod's leuge?

Rob.

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 39
Something like the iaudio x5 is the general iPod alternative. I considered the competition and decided on a 30GB 5G iPod. This was even after being burned by Apple on a 20GB Color with low impedance distortion problems, so that should show you how much I like iPods.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 39
Check out the Zen Vision: M. It should be available shortly and offers greater functionality than the iPod for around the same price. Of course it doesn't have the size, looks or supposed cool factor the iPod has, but I think it looks great!

ZEN VISION: M

prod14331_hdr_1_1_61.jpg

eggosmile.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
Check out the Zen Vision: M. It should be available shortly and offers greater functionality than the iPod for around the same price. Of course it doesn't have the size, looks or supposed cool factor the iPod has, but I think it looks great!

I think the Zen looks just as nice and is plenty cool with its slick colored GUI. However, that doesn't mean its the best. You have to realize, that its not the same price as a 10% increase in price is standard for the Zen and that the thickness is significantly bigger than a 60GB let alone the fact that it is a 30GB. So, if you don't mind the size and price, I highly suggest it.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Hey guys,

Long story short, my 3g 30gb ipod has gone down the crapper, and ive managed to justify the price of a new 60gb 5g.

My question is - should i be looking at other portable DAPs now? What else is available in the ipod's leuge?

Rob.

What format are your songs? If the majority of your music is on itunes, I'd stick with the ipod.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Hey guys,

Rob.

I don't think there is another mp3 player in ipod's league. I'd say stick with the ipod. I have owned various mp3 players and for music, the ipod is a class of its own when it comes down to size, ease of use and compatability. As for video, definately not the king yet. If you are looking for something that plays video well, take a look at the Archos AV500. http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.as...cs&dcaid=17260

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 39
Looks like im sticking with ipod.

Majority of my music is done in MP3, so any portable player will do.

iAudio is too expensive without being able to justify the greater cost.

Zen Vision: M looks pretty good, removable battery and FM tuner big bonuses, but i have a plug-in-battery-pack for an ipod anyway. Takes away a bit of the portability, but i dont need that much battery life unless i have a backpack with me anyways. FM tuner is not worth extra money + size

Archos: Way too bulky, too costly.

Damn - was hoping i could get around the Apple strong hold - but not too dissapointed i cant
wink.gif

Rob.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 39
The ipod has some HUGE short comings (poor codec support, not ums, no line-in recording, drm laden, poor sound quality)

but... The guys at rockbox are porting over their firmware so vitually all of those short comings will be addressed. It'll be a while, but it's coming so there is some justification to get an ipod over an X5. I can't deny the ipod hardware isn't great, it's just that everything else sucks.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

poor sound quality

From what I've heard, previous iPods had a problem where there was bass rollof on sensative 'phones. However, this has apparently been vitually fixed on the 5G iPods.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by aice
From what I've heard, previous iPods had a problem where there was bass rollof on sensative 'phones. However, this has apparently been vitually fixed on the 5G iPods.

it still distorts though.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Hey guys,

Rob.

Man, that'll teach you to listen to your ipod when set on the can....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back