Alternatives to dedicated headphone amps
May 2, 2002 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
What traditional alternatives to a dedicated headphone amp exists out there commercially? Who can point to specific receivers, integrated amps, mixers, etc. that provide good to excellent output out of its headphone jack? In-production, discontinued merchandise, whatever. Names/models, years made, etc. are desired.

Anyone?

May 2, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 20
May 3, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 20
WHAT??? The CDC or the X-Cans??

Sounds ludicrous as a price for both anyway
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 3, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 20
joe -

I think that Nick "be playin' wit me".
wink.gif

May 3, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 20
No funny biz.

Philips CDC-935 -> Headphone jack to Sennheiser 580

is extremely close in performance to:

Philips CDC-935 -> SP/DIF to ART DI/O -> Boldercables Type II to X-Cans V2 -> Headphone jack to Sennheiser 580

Either the Philips CDC-935 has a badass headphone jack, or the X-Cans V2 doesn't do much to improve on the source material.

I believe the former. I know what I heard, and it really pissed me off.

May 3, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 20
Add most Rotel preamps and integrated amps to your list. They pay (and have paid) more attention to headphone amps than other manufacturers. I have a Rotel preamp, and it is excellent for driving low impedance cans.

Plus Parasound and Yamaha have made excellent units with good headphone sections.

Some of the new UK-designed integrated amps may also have good headphone sections.

May 3, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 20
And NAD, right?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 3, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 20
I just posted a new thread last night asking a similar question as I want a stand alone headphone system for late night listening without having to string a 25 foot long headphone extension cable from my HT system to a comfortable seating position.

My searches have thus far led me to a NAD L40 receiver with buil-in CD player.

Does anyone have any experinece with this box?

Thanks in advance.

May 3, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by davo

If you do a search for "L40" you'll find quite a few mentions of this product. We have one here and it's a great llittle unit.

May 3, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

The L40 is good. Its headphone amp is particularly good (I'd even say excellent) with Senn 580/600 headphones. It also drives Grados with some style (they're not as excessively bright with the L40 as with other amps), but there isn't quite as much synergy as with the Sennheisers.

If you're thinking of purchasing an L40, you can often get super deals (in the mid $300's) online if you're willing to consider a factory refurbished model, or one that comes in a damaged carton.

May 3, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Good suggestion, MirandaX. We bought ours as an "open box" from Yawa Online: http://www.yawaonline.com/ They're an authorized NAD dealer -- and supposedly the one dealer that NAD/PSB sends all their open box, damage box, and refurbs too, so you get the full warranty.

For example, right now they have the following on the L40:

New, 2-year warranty: $599
Damaged box, unit in perfect condition, 2-year warranty: $449
Factory refurb, 1-year warranty: $379

They also have several great "package" deals right now (L40 with various PSB speakers).

Not affiliated -- just a happy customer
wink.gif

May 3, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks to all. I'll consult with the Mrs. and then call Yawa to see what they've got.

I followed MacDef's suggestion for the search and found generally good feedbacl for the L40. Hoever, another unit/system also came up as being pretty good that might suit my requirements and that's the Denon DM30S with speakers for about $310 on-line.

While I suspect both would fill my requirements, any comments on their relative features/quality?

Thanks again.

May 4, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I followed MacDef's suggestion for the search and found generally good feedbacl for the L40. Hoever, another unit/system also came up as being pretty good that might suit my requirements and that's the Denon DM30S with speakers for about $310 on-line.

While I suspect both would fill my requirements, any comments on their relative features/quality?

I also like the DM30S a lot; it's probably my favorite "true" minisystem. I demoed it quite a bit before I bought the L40. It's a great little system with very good speakers. For $310, you won't find much better.

That said, you get what you pay for. The L40 is an all-around better system -- better CD player, better amp, better tuner, much better headphone jack. If you get it with a set of PSB speakers, those are better, too. But its also more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back