Alternatives to Cambridge Audio Azur 840C
Feb 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AlterAnthony

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings!

So, I am considering building a nice electrostatic setup and I am considering the CA Azur 840C as my source component. Are there any better alternatives to this CD player under 2000 USD? I am mostly interested in the quality of sound and not so much in the set of features (which the 840C has in abundance). I was thinking about using my current CD player, the NAD C542, as transport with the Stello DA2200 MkII as the DAC but then I realised I need the NAD in my dynamic rig.

The rest of the electrostatic rig will be comprised of a Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii and Stax SR-007 MkII headphones.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations and helpful comments.

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 3
Personally the 840C is on my short list with the Marantz SA8001 SACD player. I want to do a 2 channel only system and may go with the Marantz since I will only be using the SD player.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 3
I eventually chose the Benchmark DAC1 over the 840c, though it was a long and painful decision. On reflection, I don't regret it - both are wonderful sources but the DAC1 sounded a little brighter and more detailed to me with 650s.

The 840c is a brilliant reference player, very neutral but I prefer to sacrifice a little neutrality for a more involving sound. It sounds a little dry in comparison to the DAC1.

You don't mention where you're from, that will influence the cost of both units quite a lot. Personally, I got my DAC1 from thomann.de. You can find them for less but I prefer thomann as a retailer to some of the lesser known sites selling it in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back