Alternatives to ALO Audio cable for iMod?
Oct 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Michael Jennings

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone point me to a good quality but more reasonably priced alternative to the currently available ALO Audio iMod cable? I own a VCap Dock and am very happy with it, but now also want to use my iMod in a more portable system (iMod / Pico / UM3X), and just don't want to lay out $195 for a cable.

Any advice very much appreciated!

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 13
Maybe posting a WTB for a second-hand or DIY one would be the way to go?

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Ken does fantastic work, however his offerings can seem a bit pricey. Later after you use them and/or need warranty service you realize how goo he and his product are. Having said so you may wish to look at the iBasso website, they offer a line out dock for $35 plus S&H. Good luck.

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks, Miguel. I looked at the iBasso site; they say that the line out is "compatible with IPod," etc. Does this cable have capacitors, i.e. is it also compatible with the iMod? I'm guessing they're prevented from saying so for legal reasons.

Mike

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 13
I bought the ALO female LOD ($95) and then used my own mini to mini cable, letting you upgrade as you see fit. That may be an alternative. And I don't think the iBasso LODs work for the iMOD, only the ALO or DIY ones with the prover caps. I love mine playing with the predator and JH13s, Enjoy.
Lee

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks, Lee; that's a great idea!

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 13
I also see a plethora of iMod labeled LOD cables on eBay for $35ish...I don't have an iMod, or one of these, so have zero way to attest to this, but they look OK in the pictures.

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Miguel. I looked at the iBasso site; they say that the line out is "compatible with IPod," etc. Does this cable have capacitors, i.e. is it also compatible with the iMod? I'm guessing they're prevented from saying so for legal reasons.

Mike

Hi Mike, as far as I know it is not compatible w/ the iMod. But to truly be sure send iBaso a message/email. Good luck.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Here's a suggestion in the other direction - have stevenkelby, forum member, build you a piccolino iMod LOD. It's more expensive than the ALO cable but sounds wonderful, almost as good as the full ALO V-cap setup (I usually don't bother with my V-CAP dock, even at home, now that I've got it), and is much cheaper and more compact than all that gear. Steven does great work and is very good to deal with.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Go for the ALO iMod female dock adapter, then you can use all the mini to mini cables from the market.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 13
yes you can, but IMO only do that if you are going to save money doing so, you are adding another connection and another point of weakness/strain

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 13
But there are better cable options, not for just money saving, so you can use Goldcab, Crystal Cable etc. top grade cables for your iMod which you were impossible to consider before. Another joint point for mini cable is just a relatively much minor issue to affect the sound quality when comparing the huge improvement with the top grade cable upgrade.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there are better cable options, not for just money saving, so you can use Goldcab, Crystal Cable etc. top grade cables for your iMod which you were impossible to consider before. Another joint point for mini cable is just a relatively much minor issue to affect the sound quality when comparing the huge improvement with the top grade cable upgrade.

agreed, but saying something like that, would not have been right given my line of work
tongue.gif
though gold is just more expensive IMO, if that makes it sound better to you, then great, as a conductor it is inferio; though I have heard some nice gold cables. you do not need a capped mini coupler to use such options, there are cables for IMOD made by others with caps and different materials hardwired right in. some DIY, some not
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back