alternative: Ultimate Ears Super.FI 5 EB?
Nov 28, 2008 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

inspire

New Head-Fier
Hi,
yesterday I got my brand new Cowon D2 and I also bought the earphones "AKG K324P". Regrettably I will send back these earphones, because they sound quite cheap to me.
My brother owns a Samsung YP-K3 Maestro Edition with Samsung EP150 earphones, of which I'm really enthusiastic. Unfortunately you can't buy them anywhere, because they are only delivered with this player.
I've got some old Sennheiser MX 75 lying around here, but their color absolutely doesn't fit to the D2 and in addition they are too old (look used).

In direct camparison to the EP150, MX 75 and to the standart earphones coming with the D2, the AKG lose because they don't accent the bass at all - they absolutely don't bang
biggrin.gif

Equalizer/sound settings don't change my mind:
EP150 >> earphones coming with D2 > MX 75 > K324P

For this reason I browsed in the internet and found the Ultimate Ears Super.FI 5 EB. But to tell the truth, I don't want to spend 150 $ on earphones :/ 100 $ might be acceptable...that's why I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

I listen to music like (Alternative) Rock, some Metal/Pop/Ambience and I don't care if my environment can listen to my music, too or if I can listen to my environment
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you give me tips, what earphones I might look for?

Thanks
inspire

(I'm sorry for mistakes in my text, I'm from Germany
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 16
I have the Super.FI 5 EB and the V-Moda Bass and after comparing both with and without an amp I really the V-Moda Bass better. The V-Moda Bass aren't as sensitive as the Super.FI 5 EB, but overall I like the whole range better, and the the price of the V-Moda Bass is MUCH better at $19.95 on Amazon.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 16
Go with the Atrio M5's! I've heard great things about the amount of bass response and the clarity that comes with it. They look awesome as well.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure your music is in lossless?

Let's hope not... he should know good IEM's sound terrible with low quality MP3's -.-

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's hope not... he should know good IEM's sound terrible with low quality MP3's -.-

To be fair, the 5 EB is rather forgiving with MP3s, even at lower bitrates (tested with 128 Kbps). Granted, less compressed files do sound better, but listening to a 128 Kbps MP3 isn't torture with the 5 EB. (Just slightly agonizing)

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 16
First, thanks for your ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm interested in the Denon C751 now, though it's also quite expensive...The Atrio M5 looks a bit....ugly, sry
biggrin.gif

The V-Moda Bass are also a good idea, but they are so cheap compared to the Denon...is the Denon really worth it's salt?
I just saw the Denon C551 and it's just half as expensive as the C751. Do you hear a big difference between the C751 and the C551?

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Oh, great advice, thx! I didn't know about this huge amount of reviews on amazon.com. The german site amazon.de doesn't have so many of them. The Sennheiser CX 400 also looks interesting and has good reviews. But it's difficult to campare the V-Modas/Denon C751 and Sennheiser CX 400 just by reading reviews on amazon...they are all written by different persons.

Maybe someone has two of these earphones...could you tell me, are there big differences between these earphones? :)

May 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 16
I like my superfi 5 eb, have a great soundstage, the bass is great after around 200 hour of burn in

May 27, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 16
the eb however has harsh/piercing high and mediocre mid, great subwoofer bass.

May 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 16
I'll highly recommend the atrios. the power is immense especially after 200 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back