Alternative to xonar stx ?
May 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I have two computer, with one I use the xonar stx, and the other I use the realtek onboad soundcard (each on a separate town).
It's a bit frustrating , after being used to the sound of xonar stx to go back to onboard  realtek (I'm shocked each time by the difference).
But the xonar stx is not perfect too, with it's buggy driver support.
I got once the famous loud high pitched  bug sound that appears randomly.
It's quite rare, but frightening when it occurs.
I found a bit also annoying to buy twice time the same thing, I like to discover different products.

* So I'm looking for an alternative for less than 200 euros ( I might stretch it to 250 euros).
* It's someone that would take the plane and bring me back the thing, so I don't want anything heavy, nor bulky.
* the command would be shipped to france. So amazon.com, for instance doesn't work for me.
* it's for headphone AND  speakers, preferably I  need to anticipate all the cable I  would need.

Current headphone I use : hd595, srh940, not often the hd25 (perhaps it sucks just too much with the onboard soundcard too) .
I  plan to get later the hd800, and run in through the xonar stx, despites numerous claim that it would be wasted money.
The fact is few people have experimented the combination, and admitted that it sounded better than expected.
I  might get an amp later, but the fact is that the hd800 is available locally on my country (where not much stuff could be found) ,  at a reasonable price, and I   just feel an urge to experiment.

So an alternative to xonar stx ?
By the way I  don't care of eax, or alike, I  do not play often games, and I  hate the dolby headphone thing.

thanks

May 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hello, I have two computer, with one I use the Xonar stx, and the other I use the Realtek on-board sound card (each on a separate town).
It's a bit frustrating , after being used to the sound of Xonar stx to go back to on-board  Realtek (I'm shocked each time by the difference).
But the Xonar stx is not perfect too, with it's buggy driver support.
I got once the famous loud high pitched  bug sound that appears randomly.
It's quite rare, but frightening when it occurs.
I found a bit also annoying to buy twice time the same thing, I like to discover different products.
* So I'm looking for an alternative for less than 200 euros ( I might stretch it to 250 euros).
* It's someone that would take the plane and bring me back the thing, so I don't want anything heavy, nor bulky.
* the command would be shipped to France. So amazon.com, for instance doesn't work for me.
* it's for headphone AND  speakers, preferably I  need to anticipate all the cable I  would need.
Current headphone I use : hd595, srh940, not often the hd25 (perhaps it sucks just too much with the on-board sound card too) .
I  plan to get later the hd800, and run in through the Xonar stx, despites numerous claim that it would be wasted money.
The fact is few people have experimented the combination, and admitted that it sounded better than expected.
I  might get an amp later, but the fact is that the hd800 is available locally on my country (where not much stuff could be found),  at a reasonable price, and I  just feel an urge to experiment.
So an alternative to Xonar stx ?
By the way I  don't care of EAX, or alike, I  do not play often games, and I  hate the Dolby headphone thing.

Go to the website Brainbit, they have the third party Asus drivers "Xonar Unified Drivers", might help with the high pitched sound bug.

May 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
It doesn't seem there's an online seller that would ship such card to france.
There is the big seller ldlc, but the seeling was discontinued in favor of the xonard cards.

Hmmm. I thought there were a few cards made in Germany- Audeze?- as well as M-Audio. And there's always Creative's Soundblaster cards though they many head-fi'ers dislike them for their "bloatware" drivers which you could probably tolerate well if your comp has good resources.

Failing all other options, you could buy an HT Omega soundcard in the states or I could buy it, sell it and ship it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back