Alternative to the mdr 7506
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 24
I'm surprised that the HP150 sound muddy compared to the M50X. Generally, most people seem to find it the other way around. You might want to let the HP150s burn in at a moderately loud listening volume for 20 hours or so.

Try the gain switch on the Asgard 2 with the HP150s. It might help if you are listening to them very loud.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 24
The bass seemed to clear up on the hp150 some after putting a few hours on them, The bass is definitely tighter now - but I am still getting a weird choked sound when using it with my digital piano. Aside from that they really do sound amazing. The sound quality is pretty impressive and the stereo image is incredible.  

The m50x sound really good too. a little more "fuller" sounding than the HP150, but with a much narrower stereo spread. 

This is a really tough decision. I could probably be happy with either set - The m50x may be a winner - only because it does seem to sound better with my digital piano.. Which is one of my main reasons for getting a closed back set of headphones… 

I have been testing these out with the Dave Brubeck CD - Time out. Unbelievable what I am hearing in this recording with these headphones. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 24
  The bass seemed to clear up on the hp150 some after putting a few hours on them, The bass is definitely tighter now - but I am still getting a weird choked sound when using it with my digital piano. Aside from that they really do sound amazing. The sound quality is pretty impressive and the stereo image is incredible.  

The m50x sound really good too. a little more "fuller" sounding than the HP150, but with a much narrower stereo spread. 

This is a really tough decision. I could probably be happy with either set - The m50x may be a winner - only because it does seem to sound better with my digital piano.. Which is one of my main reasons for getting a closed back set of headphones… 

I have been testing these out with the Dave Brubeck CD - Time out. Unbelievable what I am hearing in this recording with these headphones. 

Try these!

http://www.hdtracks.com/sessions-from-the-17th-ward-binaural-134351?format=AIFF

http://www.hdtracks.com/a-kiss-in-the-dark-190377?format=AIFF

beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 24
  I Currently have the Sony MDR-7506 they sound great, but they are a little too bright for me - I like everything else about them, but the highs can get a little piercing and annoying if wearing them for a while.
Can anyone recommend a similar spec'd headphone with a more tamed treble? 

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?
The Sony MDR-V6 is very slightly less bright then the MDR-7506.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 24

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?
The Sony MDR-V6 is very slightly less bright then the MDR-7506.

I am primarily using these from my digital Piano - a Kawai ES7. 

Very strange what i hear from different headphones from the piano - 

1. Soundmagic hp150- Very muddy in the lows, no clarity in the trebles and piano seems to be unnaturally wide - almost like the bass is panned hard left in the left ear and trebles are panned hard right. These sound fabulous with music though coming through my ipod with just a little bit of an exaggerated bass.

2. Audio technica M50x - Clears up a little bit in the bass, but still does not sound natural. Mids sounds a little boxy or nasal-y, and the trebles sounds beautiful. I notice through my ipod - it sounds just about the same with a bit of heavy bass.

3. Sony MDR-7506 - Bass sound extremely clear, could use a little more oomph in the bass, but could live with it as-is - the  trebles and mids are almost painful to listen to for a long period of time. They are just way to bright with the piano. 

4. Sennhesier HD-650 - VERY muddy bottom end and mids, the upper end sounds pretty nice through these headphones if not a little mellow.  

Now the odd thing is, if I make a recording of the piano and play it back on any other source, teh rrecording sounds beautiful. The recording is being made directly on the piano to a USB drive as a wave file, so no additional processing is being applied and no extra devices are in the chain. 

I play the files back on any of my devices, ipod, ipad, mac pro, etc, and listen with any of these headphones and it sounds great. the muddy bass seems to go away. 

So I am assuming it is something within the ampliifcation of the piano.I need to find a good combo for this device. 

i am wondering if I can find a happy medium headphone that has the bass of the mdr7506 with the highs slightly toned down. 

Someone at a guitar center recommended m40x as a more neutral sound, but the highs may be just as irritating to me as the 7506.... 

Any other recomendations?

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 24
  How about getting some type of portable EQ between piano and mdr7506.  That way you can keep a similar sound, but cut highs till you are satisfied.

Yes - I tried with teh internal EQ on the piano, but it doesnt seem to do much, I also tried cutting down the bass on the other headphones as well and still no good - 

I thought about adding an extrenal eq, but I kind of wanted to just plug and play.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back