Alternative to the mdr 7506
Jan 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jsanfilippo5

New Head-Fier
I Currently have the Sony MDR-7506 they sound great, but they are a little too bright for me - I like everything else about them, but the highs can get a little piercing and annoying if wearing them for a while.

Can anyone recommend a similar spec'd headphone with a more tamed treble? 

Thanks in advance!

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 24
  I Currently have the Sony MDR-7506 they sound great, but they are a little too bright for me - I like everything else about them, but the highs can get a little piercing and annoying if wearing them for a while.

Can anyone recommend a similar spec'd headphone with a more tamed treble? 

Thanks in advance!

Audio Technica ATH M50x

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 24
The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x has less bass than the M50x, but personally, I hated the M40x when I owned it. Many others prefer the M40x over the 7506, though.

Here's a good resource: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 24
  What did you hate about the m40?

I actually posted about it in another thread today. I'll quote from there.

Not boomy at all. Not too bright either. The bass was too weak. The tonality was totally off. Despite not being too bright or fatiguing, the treble was odd too. Cymbals especially sounded artificial. There were other problems I don't care to go into detail about. I even went so far as to send it in to be examined for defects, but nothing was wrong with it. It's one of those studio monitor type headphones that claims to reproduce accurate audio, but does no such thing.

What's really unusual, though, is I listened to recordings of various headphones on YouTube, and the M40x was one of the few that was indistinguishable from the recording. Go figure.

I plan on trying the M50x soon, since it's different and has an established track record, being a revision of the popular M50.

If you want more details, you can read through my old thread about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748446/why-does-my-new-m40x-sound-so-bad

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 24
I'm not sure how they compare to the MDR7506/V6 headphones, but Japan only MDR-CD900ST headphones are awesome.  I tried V6s once in a sony store, they sounded thin, details were harder to pickup, and there was more treble present.  MDR-CD900STs sound completely different like everything is better except the treble is rolled off.  I just EQed foobar to add some treble whenever I felt like it.  If you are looking to pickup a pair there are quite a few sellers from ebay that sell it for around $170 - $200 free shipping.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 24
Awesome! Let us know which you like better
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 24
Bothe sets came today. Very tough decision.

The sound magic sound really good when connected directly to my iPad And computer, but seem to get really muddy when used with my Asgard 2.

The m50 sounds good really good through the iPad and computer, but with a little bit of over exaggerated bass- but when I plug the into the Asgard, they tsound really amazing.

I also really need to use these with a digital piano and I find the m50 to work a bitter with the piano. The hp150 get muddy with piano...

All in all both sets of phones completely made me forget I even have the 7506. The sound is just so much better out of these other 2 sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back