Alternative to Ipod's Stock Buds?
Oct 31, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

D-Audi

Head-Fier
I think they sound pretty damn good for earbuds. Does it get better as far as earbuds go (ety's discluded)? Their ONLY purpose will be for when I'm working out / running etc. What about those koss ear clip phones? Are they any better? Do they actually STAY ON? I want to best possible sound w/ out breaking the bank and not interested in getting those Etymotics, too much money (I know alot of you will recommend those).

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 10
Etys are bad for working out anyway. Frankly, consider how much attention you pay to the music while working out. Then consider whether or not you can actually hear the music well enough to justify good headphones while working out -- if you're breathing hard, you probably can't.

In my opinion, the best workout 'phone is one that stays in your ear, is small, and can take getting tossed in a gym bag and getting jumbled up with shoes, weight belts, etc.

The Koss headphones you mentioned may be a good choice, though they're not actually earbuds. (Earbuds are headphones that go in your ear and have no headband.) The Koss KSC-55 and KSC-50 may be options to consider if you decide you actually want good sound. Otherwise, go with something like one of Sonys VITE models -- I use the MDR-W07.

kerely

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 10
I've never tried the KSC-35s, but they're fairly popular here...too bad they're discontinued (replaced by the ksc-50/55). As for the Ksc-50, I bought them and tried them out rather quickly before returning them. The way they fit on the ear felt precarious at best, although of course I didn't move around enough to see at what point they fell off, but they were barely hanging on my ears. The sound wasn't that good, either (probably fine for working out, though).

There are some other earphones which are recommended here from time to time...the Sennheiser MX-400/500 ($10-15), the Sony MDR-EX70LP ($35-50), and the Sony MDR-E888LP ($55-65).

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 10
Been looking at the senn mx500's, they are really cheap. Are they that big of an improvement over the stock ipods? Like I said the stock Ipods sound really good for being earphones, but if there are better out there that I can get cheap I'm all for it. I do pay attention to music when I'm working out BTW. I found after getting the IPOD which has significantly better sound than my previous minidisc/earbud combo (granted it was pretty bad), I got into the music more and could accomplish more working out, that's just me though. Music gets me moving. I mean - if your at a club and they have distorted bass and muddy highs and it doesn't get very loud are you going to have fun and dance alot??? Same with working out, better sound just makes it that much better, for me at least.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 10
I've got the newer style iPod earbuds, Ety's and MX500's. I can say I have never tried the stock earbuds. I will give them a try today and let you know.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Anyone try the Sony EX-70's (modded or not) with the iPod. Just curious.

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Porta Pro's are very nice workout phones. Sounds much better than any earbuds I've tried (not tried ety's, of course). Lightweight and very comfortable, while staying firmly in place. They're a little bass heavy, and I find that a good thing for workout (juggling) as well as running (to the subway).

I've used some $30 Sony earbuds for many years, and IMHO they're nothing soundwise and comfortwise, compared to Porta Pro's.

I also use the Porta Pro's with my computer, and they don't mind a crappy source. I enjoy these budget phones anywhere.

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Etys are bad for working out anyway. Frankly, consider how much attention you pay to the music while working out. Then consider whether or not you can actually hear the music well enough to justify good headphones while working out -- if you're breathing hard, you probably can't.

In my opinion, the best workout 'phone is one that stays in your ear, is small, and can take getting tossed in a gym bag and getting jumbled up with shoes, weight belts, etc.

The Koss headphones you mentioned may be a good choice, though they're not actually earbuds. (Earbuds are headphones that go in your ear and have no headband.) The Koss KSC-55 and KSC-50 may be options to consider if you decide you actually want good sound. Otherwise, go with something like one of Sonys VITE models -- I use the MDR-W07.

kerely

That depends on how noisy the place where you're working out really is. If your workout place is really noisy (i.e. a "total fitness" club that can accommodate over a hundred people), then none of your recommendations would suffice; they're open-air, and thus provide little or no isolation from external noise. After all, little blockage of a lot of noise still equals WAY too much noise. And all that noise -- whether it's the clank of people putting down weights or that craptastic-sounding dance music that's playing over an equally craptacular sound system -- will ruin the enjoyment of your workout.

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 10
It's at a gold's gym. The stock ipods provide adequete isolation. I mean I've never had a complaint about them or thought too much noise was coming through when I was working out. I don't know if they are open or not though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back