Alternative to DT770 with Graham Slee Solo amp
Oct 18, 2008 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sillysausage

New Head-Fier
Hi to everybody from over the pond in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently use a Graham Slee Solo headphone amp (New model but with std switch mode PSU) with DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) phones, fed by an Arcam Alpha CD73 CD Player.

tbh I don't like the sound. The headphones are good with electronic dance music, but they sound too woolly, warm and closed with anything else.

My music taste is varied and I like everything from rock to dance with classical and 80's pop thrown in.

However, I do like loud music and the main criteria has to be a clear, precise and accurate sound, with bass to keep up with the rest of the music.

Would anybody care to offer any comments regarding alternatives to the DT770 phones to more suit my needs, or anything else related to the issue.

Price wise, I can allow up to around £200 (350$ ish) for new cans.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 8
HD600, AKG K500 (less bass though) or a vintage Beyerdynamic DT990 (best headphone I've heard, certainly with the Solo; incredible synergy!).

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you on the open/closed criteria?

Not fussed either way tbh. As long as they sound good everything else is second (apart from price of course)
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser or Grado open model. HD600 or SR225

Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600, AKG K500 (less bass though) or a vintage Beyerdynamic DT990 (best headphone I've heard, certainly with the Solo; incredible synergy!).

Have had the 600's put forward by a few people, including the chaps at Graham Slee themselves, so might just have to have a listen.

Keep em coming if there are any more recomendations
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 8
really try the hd600/650, grado works great too. sr225 should fit in the pricerange, sr325i (if you can find them online somewhere) or maybe the alessandro ms2i? (these have wordwide fixed prices, grado's are way more expensive in europe)
and don't forget the PSU1... I was a little sceptic but find they really tighten/clear things up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back