Alternative consideration to Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
Nov 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

rev

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
after having the cash refunded for my Custom 3 after they broke I'm in the market for a new set of monitors; currently in the running and top of the list are Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, anything else I should be considering??

P.S I liked the Custom 3's but due to exchange rates they seem out of the question..

Regards Jon

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 43
Westone 3 and UM3X, IE8, SE 530 and it would be great if you can step up to customs
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm interesting choices I think I would definitely consider the UM3 but I do like the idea of replaceable leads on the UE 10's

Jon

Just a minor point, there's no such thing as the UM3 - there's just the Westone 3 and the Westone UM3X. The UM3X is much more neutral, the W3 is warmer and has a slight midbass hump.

Modular cables can be found on the IE8s too, but read the appreciation threads/reviews on each IEM - your original question has been answered many, many times before!

Generally, when you ask such an open-ended question such as "which of the top universal IEMs are better?" without stating musical preference (or other preferences), you will just get people telling you to go for their favourite, which is not necessarily what you need or will like.

A good example of this is the above post (sorry to the poster in advance, I don't mean to flame in any way, and I'm sure you had good intentions!).

The recommendation is misleading, - whilest there is no doubt that the TripleFis are the best IEM for him, this does not necessarily mean they will be for you! (in fact, it's quite likely that you have different tastes / hearing).

Invest the time and read the extensive material that is available - I'm sure it will pay off!

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 43
I'm using tf10's I like them, they are my first canalphones and I've listened to them for about 20 hours or so. What I'm liking about the tf10 is the isolation and detail. They sound really good. They have pretty powerful bass, sometimes it seems a bit overpowering in some songs. Btw I am using them with comply foam tips. Sadly I won't have them for much longer as I am shipping them off to Unique Melody in a few hours for customs.
Don't take this as a recommendation - I haven't listened to them long enough for that.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 43
"Generally, when you ask such an open-ended question such as "which of the top universal IEMs are better?" without stating musical preference (or other preferences), you will just get people telling you to go for their favourite, which is not necessarily what you need or will like.

A good example of this is the above post (sorry to the poster in advance, I don't mean to flame in any way, and I'm sure you had good intentions!).

The recommendation is misleading, - whilest there is no doubt that the TripleFis are the best IEM for him, this does not necessarily mean they will be for you! (in fact, it's quite likely that you have different tastes / hearing).

Invest the time and read the extensive material that is available - I'm sure it will pay off!"

I wasn't answering a question that asked "which of the top universal IEMs are better?". The OP has the Triple.Fi 10 Pro at the top of the list for his/her next top tier IEM, and has asked if there is anything else that he/she should be considering.

Having tried four top tier IEMs myself, I think that the Triple.Fi 10 Pro is an excellent first choice. I could have recommended that he/she consider the IE8 but I don't rate it any more highly than the TF10P, so that's why I didn't suggest it.

Had the OP had the UM3X or the SE530 as his/her preferred choice, then I probably would have suggested another IEM for consideration.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 43
Quality wise, within that range, all 4 are possible options.

Just because the OP considers the TripleFis as his main pick (and specifically asks what else he needs to consider) surely does not mean, by your argument, that he doesn't need to consider anything else at all, since you consider the TripleFis to be best?!

The whole point of his questions was he was looking for other things to consider. That is the question that I answered, whereas you have said "in a nutshell, don't consider anything else, based on my preferences the TripleFis are the best".

The whole point of my post is that the OPs personal preferences should dictate his choice, so we should ideally present him with a range of IEMs similar in quality, and let him decide.

Do correct me if I have misunderstood something (I may well have)...

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_fx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quality wise, within that range, all 4 are possible options.

Just because the OP considers the TripleFis as his main pick (and specifically asks what else he needs to consider) surely does not mean, by your argument, that he doesn't need to consider anything else at all, since you consider the TripleFis to be best?!

The whole point of his questions was he was looking for other things to consider. That is the question that I answered, whereas you have said "in a nutshell, don't consider anything else, based on my preferences the TripleFis are the best".

The whole point of my post is that the OPs personal preferences should dictate his choice, so we should ideally present him with a range of IEMs similar in quality, and let him decide.

Do correct me if I have misunderstood something (I may well have)...

You have misunderstood my intention. The OP asked if he/she "should" be considering another top tier IEM other than the Triple.Fi 10 Pro, that I presumed was his/her preferred choice. I don't think that he/she should have to consider another top tier IEM, other than the one that he/she is already gravitating towards.

As I said, I think the Triple.Fi 10 Pro is an excellent choice. I have no compunction to suggest anything else. Had the OP listed the IE8 as his/her preferred choice, I would have said the same thing.

I saw no need to offer an alternative when I supported the OP's preference, which I think is a good choice, not the best choice. Sometimes people are looking for affirmation rather than options.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 43
at that price range, you can look at westone 3, um3x, shure se530. You might like the IE8. by the way how open are you to the idea of custom monitors? slightly more than your budget i think, I'm thinking of recommending the Livewires/UE4/JH5.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have misunderstood my intention. The OP asked if he/she "should" be considering another top tier IEM other than the Triple.Fi 10 Pro, that I presumed was his/her preferred choice. I don't think that he/she should have to consider another top tier IEM, other than the one that he/she is already gravitating towards.

As I said, I think the Triple.Fi 10 Pro is an excellent choice. I have no compunction to suggest anything else. Had the OP listed the IE8 as his/her preferred choice, I would have said the same thing.

I saw no need to offer an alternative when I supported the OP's preference, which I think is a good choice, not the best choice. Sometimes people are looking for affirmation rather than options.

Yes, I did misunderstand you. My apologies!
ksc75smile.gif

It's just in a lot of recommendation threads, people spam with their own suggestions of what they think is good, without regard for the OPs preferences - this is somewhat of a plague at head-fi...

It often makes the people who are asking for help more confused, and doesn't help them understand that there is a "best IEM for them", - that they just need to read around based on their budget and preferences.

So sorry for not understanding what you meant!

But more importantly, to the OP: What are your musical tastes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back