Altec Lansing UHP336
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hojomojo96

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I know they're old. But I might get a pair, and I have a couple questions:

Is the sound quality really equal to/better than that of the Super.Fi 3?
Does the detachable cable for the Super.Fi 3 fit the UHP336? This one, to be exact: http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/universal-accessories

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 10
The UHP336 is a "rebranded" UE Super.Fi 3 -- same thing, just different case.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Like EXACTLY the same? Replaceable cable and all? So I could order UE replacement parts?
Also, I heard from some that build quality is an issue?

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, the UE cable fits the UHP336 with no issue. Can't guarantee that the sound is 100% the same but at the very least it's very very similar. They are very inoffensive-sounding (many would say 'bland'). Not really worth it at whatever the SF3's MSRP is but the Lansings have been hovering in the $40-50 range for a long time. Build quality issues are probably the same ones all of the replaceable-cable UEs have so try and get a warranteed set.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Actually, let me rephrase that:

Should I purchase these, or the M6's. I'll be getting the M6's anyways, mind you, this would just delay that by a couple months.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think you could've picked two more vastly different earphones to compare. The UHP336 has more of a mid-centric balance. Bass rumble and treble sparkle are two things it is not at all familiar with. It's hard to fault the 336 on a technical level (though it does lack detail next to the M6, iM-590, etc) but it can be quite... dull. I think the soundmagic PL50 does that sort of sound signature better for not very much more money. Either way the UHP336 is difficult to recommend with all of the solid dynamics available in that price range now - things like the Meelec CX21, iM-590, Brainwavz M1, etc. 

The M6 is really quite the opposite, sacrificing universal appeal for a bass- and treble-heavy sound, which is why some love it and some hate it. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 10
imo, i thought the uhp336 had no more bass than ibuds. they sounded almost the same, but you could sometimes tell there was less distortion in lows and mids, and much less distortion with high volumes. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 10
I have the UHP336 and think they do alright for what you pay for them.  They are vastly different to the M6 as joker said.  I use my 336's for classical, piano music which for a Balance Armature set they do well.  My M6 for anything but classical and piano music.  What kind of music do you primarily listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back