Altec Lansing IM716 $44.99 at JR.com
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 40
It's pretty inexpensive with this deal that comes up pretty much monthly. It has the added perk of being easily modded to fit to your liking. The sound is very good, prob not er4, but also a little more forgiving, esp unamped. When amped, as expected, the bass comes out nicely, and its a pretty impressive phone overall if a good seal is attained. For 44 bucks, I think it would be hard to find an IEM to beat it.

Also, anyone using these without Howard Leight Max or Super ear plugs is missing out big time. The only place I found that sells them in stores is CVS in 10 packs, but they can easily be found online. Check them out.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright, i am curious as to why so many people snap on this IEM, whats so good about it?

Sound quality. Fantastic resolution. Better than my super.fi 5 pros. Fantastic mids. Despite the resolution, doesn't sound harsh. Great isolation. The bass is surprisingly good, I was expecting much worse. Basically, for $50 I have what are easily the best classical music and critical listening headphones in my collection.

But of course this comes at a price. I don't think they're that comfortable. I can sit all day in my UEs. Can't do that here. Microphonics aren't great. Some people have trouble driving them, though I'm fine with my Cowon A2.

Long story short: for any audiophile they are a must buy for $50.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 40
I'm trying to resist buying these since I have a Darth coming soon and I already have an ES7. Do you think I'm doing the right thing?
confused.gif

I'm trying to resist an impulse buy here...
I might as well save the $50 and add it to my DT880 fund.... Must resist....
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to resist buying these since I have a Darth coming soon and I already have an ES7. Do you think I'm doing the right thing?
confused.gif

I'm trying to resist an impulse buy here...
I might as well save the $50 and add it to my DT880 fund.... Must resist....
frown.gif

Given this hobby $50 is nothing. And as I see it, I'm happy enough with it that I will never have the urge to get an ER4. I have been listening to these almost all day.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by deusofhearts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus they just get cheaper and cheaper. great headphones, very fun to listen to, but I couldn't hear a thing using them straight out of an ipod

Did you make sure the inline volume was set to max on the headphones? When mine arrived the sound was completely off.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So these are no good as a pair of gym IEMs for my ipod without an AMP?
This thread is very confusing..

These aren't really gym headphones. The microphonics would be terrible, then the sweat would make them fall out. You could get like a Cowon D2 and it will be powerful enough to run it without an amp.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 40
I just got my im716's from the buy.com deal and use a Meizu mini. I listen to mostly live audience recordings so it's hard to get a good source, but I did recently download Pink Floyd's "wish you were here" (192k). Regular listening level is 30/40 with a lack of bass, when I try to EQ them it distorts, turn it up too high and it distorts the bass. It is definetly clear and up front but definetly needs an amp. To compare then to my atrios, wow what a difference. For one 30/40 would kill your ears (but with no distortion), the bass on the atrios is deep and seriously thumps. acoustic guitar with the 716's is like having your ear next to the strings, w/atrios, your ears are in the body, the strings are mixed and the sound is roomy. Sorry didn't mean for this to be a comparison of 716 vs atrio, so short answer, needs an amp. Smooth music you may be ok but turn it up or have heavy music and forget it. Hope this helps. Just bought a pa2v2, has anyone tried this amp with the im716s?

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my im716's from the buy.com deal and use a Meizu mini. I listen to mostly live audience recordings so it's hard to get a good source, but I did recently download Pink Floyd's "wish you were here" (192k). Regular listening level is 30/40 with a lack of bass, when I try to EQ them it distorts, turn it up too high and it distorts the bass. It is definetly clear and up front but definetly needs an amp. To compare then to my atrios, wow what a difference. For one 30/40 would kill your ears (but with no distortion), the bass on the atrios is deep and seriously thumps. acoustic guitar with the 716's is like having your ear next to the strings, w/atrios, your ears are in the body, the strings are mixed and the sound is roomy. Sorry didn't mean for this to be a comparison of 716 vs atrio, so short answer, needs an amp. Smooth music you may be ok but turn it up or have heavy music and forget it. Hope this helps. Just bought a pa2v2, has anyone tried this amp with the im716s?

Have the Atrios too, and the 716s and Atrios, as you note, fill different portable phone "needs" for those of us who aren't content with one set and one sound sig. Damn head-fi. I like them both. Anyway, an amp was a good move.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 40
I ordered 2 pair Thursday morning for $96 including default shipping. They showed up Friday afternoon.

As of today - Saturday - the 716's are no longer showing up on the J&R site.

I'm very happy - they sound great through an updated Xin Mini.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given this hobby $50 is nothing. And as I see it, I'm happy enough with it that I will never have the urge to get an ER4. I have been listening to these almost all day.

Haha. The funny thing is you are right. A few years ago I would have thought long and hard about a $50 headphone purchase. Now, I purchased the IM716 without a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back