Alright you nerds, guide me...
Dec 26, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 64
Don't be afraid to buy used. I have bought 5 or 6 headphones from here over the last year (and sold several as well). My suggestion would be to buy a used set of Sennheiser 580's ($125) and a used set of Grado 225's ($150) or Allesandro's. Also a govibe version 4 amp ($90). Between the Grado's and the Senn's you cover a lot of sonic territory. And everything is easy to resell or trade and really that's the fun of this forum.

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #32 of 64
A small thing that you may have not concidered is your MP3 that you have on your notebook and ipod may be responsable for you not liking your last pair of headphones. If you're using normal compression the sound quality of your tracks will sound lifeless compaired to a CD. I'd listen to one of your favorite CDs and then the MP3 (or apple format) version of that CD to see if that is part of the problem.

Also If you use these in public you really might want to concider etymotics canal phones. Open headphones will sound awfull in the din of the outdoors. You'll end up having to turn up the volume in order feel the music and you know where that leads.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff
be patient. save up around 800 or so and get a K1000 and a good PPA w/ the right op amps, diamond buffers, variable bass boost and a decent PS.

that or get some senn 600 w/ upgraded cables a decent ppa and u r gtg.

Yes, the K1000's the dream... christmas money would cover it, but i just can't do it at the moment. :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 64
ahaha, my first "favorite" kind of music. --Camel?? OH YES!!!!

Tell me what Camel sounds best through and those are the cans I'll buy! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Inexpensive closed headset: I use the akg k26p and it isn't that shabby. If IEM's arent your cup of tea, then you should check them out. They beat the PortaPro at least.

And oh, a girl listening to prog? I will reluctantly agree that girls might have been known to recognize the word when I mention it without them actually knowing what it is, but listening? No way. My world is shaken.
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MINX3030
The title was only meant to be a charming little eye-catcher! I meant no offense at all. I aspire to be super-nerd level in a year or so :)

I know that you were joking. I was just returning the favor and joking back with you, pretending that I was offended and that others should be too, you big aspiring nerd, you!
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Yes, the K1000's the dream... christmas money would cover it, but i just can't do it at the moment. :frowning2:

This place is dangerous...
tongue.gif

Overlunge

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

The title was only meant to be a charming little eye-catcher! I meant no offense at all. I aspire to be super-nerd level in a year or so :)

Compared with my plea for help, I'm sure your title actually served to garner more replies and being a chick enured dozens of polite ones. It's not fair.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by enoch
Compared with my plea for help, I'm sure your title actually served to garner more replies and being a chick enured dozens of polite ones. It's not fair.
rolleyes.gif

easy, when you sign up on a forum, pretend to be a girl.

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #39 of 64
Because you live in NY and you have resources nearby, I would grab some music and a cd player/iPod and go test out as many headfile headphones as you can and be glad that you can! I have to wait for meets to hear other cans. *jealous* Good luck with you search
-Slep

Dec 27, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #40 of 64
hey guys- alright, first of all *thank you* so much for all your suggestions and explanations, it's been a HUGE help and reading up on stuff has been so much fun. As of now I decided to order the SA5000 just to try it out. I ordered from a place that has a 30 day return policy, which should give me enough time to decide (I am on break from school for a month and I listen to music all day long, so that should be enough time!). everyone who's said this place is dangerous is soooo right b/c there are about 15 other ones that I want to try now! now, since i've purchased the SA5000 two questions that I have are:

#1- what's the best affordable amp to go with these?
#1a (stuuupid newbie question): can I use a headphone amp whilst listening to music on my iBook?
#2- i've heard that the soundstage on these are somewhat lacking. does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that has all the detail of the SA5K but with a better soundstage? (I *know* you have suggestions!)

Thanks so much, everyone. I cant wait to try these babies out. weeeeeee

ps- right now i'm pretty sold on the mdr-7506 for knockabout everyday portables. any reason i should go for the v6 instead? or grados (SR60, SR125 maybe?) just not sure if the grados are portable enough.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

#1- what's the best affordable amp to go with these?
#1a (stuuupid newbie question): can I use a headphone amp whilst listening to music on my iBook?
#2- i've heard that the soundstage on these are somewhat lacking. does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that has all the detail of the SA5K but with a better soundstage? (I *know* you have suggestions!)

Thanks so much, everyone. I cant wait to try these babies out. weeeeeee

ps- right now i'm pretty sold on the mdr-7506 for knockabout everyday portables. any reason i should go for the v6 instead? or grados (SR60, SR125 maybe?) just not sure if the grados are portable enough.

GRADOS!
This coming from someone with $5,000 MDR-R10's and $10K worth of electronics to drive 'em. I listen to my RS1's the most.
Amp.... wellll, I really like the SR-71.... good enough for home, portable emough for travel
The Grados are portable enough for everyday

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

ahaha, my first "favorite" kind of music. --Camel?? OH YES!!!!

Tell me what Camel sounds best through and those are the cans I'll buy! :-D

Camel? Sennheiser HD650 without a doubt. I prefer the prog rock to be slightly colored and warm, hence the Senn, while I like my prog metal (such as Opeth, DT, Symphony X, etc) in my face, hence the Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39
GRADOS!
This coming from someone with $5,000 MDR-R10's and $10K worth of electronics to drive 'em. I listen to my RS1's the most.
Amp.... wellll, I really like the SR-71.... good enough for home, portable emough for travel
The Grados are portable enough for everyday

yeah those RS1s sound like their pretty luxe. when I get back to NY i will go down to the city and hightail it to the grado store to give the line a listen.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

I believe the v6 and the 7506 are the same, the only difference is the color.

Grado's are portable enough, but they are like way to open. Everything will come in and out, but some people do use them are portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back