Already thinking to improve...
Nov 19, 2002 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I've just bought my first sets of correct headphones and I slowly feel I could want more (the fact I tried my neighbor's hd600 plays perhaps a big role...
biggrin.gif
). For the moment I have as "desk rig" a d25s + senn hd497 and for a portable use a panasonic pcdp + porta pro or + airhead + hd 497 (I am not really satisfied of the HD497 as portable, even with amp and on line out, the PP satisfies me).

I really like the music of the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, especially the opera. I don't care to have a "good for all" system, I want to have the better sound possible for what I like the most. It means mainly I care about the highs and the midrange, the bass must stay detailled but the power is (slightly) less an issue. I won't listen to rock or pop on it. The acoustic isolation isn't a problem, I will listen in quiet environment.

Hum, important factor, I don't want to put more than 350$ in it (I am a poor student...I'll have to work to afford what I want and I already have to pay back a part of my college costs)

So here how I see the things: I'd like to keep the d25s, a better source would cost me too much. I also like the fact it's easy to travel with (portability isn't a issue, it's just easy to move). I would get rid of the airhead and of the hd497 (FS, FT ?) to get first a decent pair of headphones (the headphone jack of the d25S seems able to drive a correct pair until the amp arrives). In a second time, I think to invest in a customized meta42 from one of the DIYers of this forum.

If I'am not wrong, with 100$ + the airhead and senn, I could easily get a nice pair of headphone (used ?) and for 250$ an improved meta ?

I read a lot of reviews (this website is a real goldmine) and I saw 3 headphones that could perhaps fit my needs (and my ressources): senn HD580, senn HD590 (better in the highs ?) and the AKG K501 (too hard to drive from a meta ?, but I really love what i read on these). All of these are at around the same price on Jan Meier's website.

Does all this make any sense or I am just completly wrong ? If people from Colorado knew where there is a possibility to hear these in demo in denver, it would also be great. I would be a bit affraid to buy something I ve never heard...

The upgrade is not for tomorrow morning, but I 'd like to leave the US in June with everything to reduce the costs (typically more expensive in Belgium
frown.gif
)

I already thank you for your patience (I ve been longer than I tought)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
You can't go wrong with the Sennheiser path. HD 580 or 600 are very appropriate to your favored music, maybe HD 590, too (I don't think it has «better» highs, maybe just a bit more of them, or rather some more upper mids, according to the measurements). The latter would fit your PCDP, even without an amp, but perhaps the HD 580/600 would also work well that way, despite their 300 ohms.

The AKG K 501 is very transparent and lean and could be a fine match for your music, although it would call for good recordings and, first of all, a strong amp. Maybe the META could manage it, I don't know.

There are other headphones I don't know, e.g. the Audio Technica, which could meet your expectations.

Listen to as much different headphones you can before you decide!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey, I miss Boulder. I hope you're enjoying school there. I know a shop near Pearl Street that carries Grado headphones but I can't think of any with Sennheiser or AKG. I would suggest calling all of the stores listed in the Stereo & Hi-fi section of the yellow pages to find out which headphones (if any) they have for audition.

I would think an AC powered or 18V battery powered Meta42 could drive the AKGs well, but someone who has the combination would be able to say for sure. If you truly are not in a hurry I'm sure I'll be over there before next summer, and I could easily bring any of my stuff over for you to try. While I'm not an opera fan, I do love classical music and the HD580/META42 combination is wonderful for such music, and can easily be had for under $350.

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 5
The HD 580s are at newegg.com for $120 plus $6 shipping. Ordered a pair myself, they're on the way. There's a $20 Sennheiser rebate for the 580s too that I'm gonna try to get. 100 bucks for a pair of 580s. Mmmm mmm. Compared the 580s to my beloved 497s at a head-fi meet last Sunday. No contest... the 580s sounded much better to me. I was SHOCKED. SHOCKED I tell you.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
Ok, I've just bought my first sets of correct headphones and I slowly feel I could want more (the fact I tried my neighbor's hd600 plays perhaps a big role...
biggrin.gif
). For the moment I have as "desk rig" a d25s + senn hd497 and for a portable use a panasonic pcdp + porta pro or + airhead + hd 497 (I am not really satisfied of the HD497 as portable, even with amp and on line out, the PP satisfies me).
I already thank you for your patience (I ve been longer than I tought)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 5
slindeman > sure, really nice place to study. btw, I assisted at an opera given by the college of music two weeks ago (la Boheme, Puccini), they're pretty good
eek.gif

steve99 > I was charmed too when I heard the hd600 for the first time; even directly out of the headphone jack of my d25s. but hd600 are not free, so a pair of 580 seems indeed a nice deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back