Already Second guessing my new phones
Mar 29, 2006 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stmpjmp

100+ Head-Fier
Been a head fi'er for a bit now and finally broke into the world of real headphones. But the problem is they havent even shown up yet (arrive tomorrow) and Im already thinking they wont work out.
I picked up some Grado 80s and couldnt wait to rock out with them. However, I have given serious thought to my current setups and *may* be better suited to look for more of a well rounded gaming type can (like an AT500-900) You see, I currently have very modest pc speakers (logitech x-530s) and would love to replace them with serious headphones for much better music and for either improvement or equal performance in gaming (p.s. I HATE every PC speaker set Ive come across up to the $300 mark. Hence the wanting to fully replace all pc speaker options with good headphones instead) So heres what Im wondering...

Are the Grados really that bad for gaming? (Im 99.9% sure they are and will have to be returned) If so would they at least be > or = my lame x530s?

If they are not, would something in the AT series trump them? Or any other $200ish offerings? Also would said trumping require a soundcard supportive of the newer EAX (my thought is no since if I understand it EAX is ONLY passed through via analogue so it aint doing nothing if Im passing signal digitally to my Marantz and then out (via headphone jack) to my new 'phones.)

I know this post kinda runs the whole spectrum but first and foremost I want to figure out the best cans for my needs. Everything else can be bought to serve that specific can. (soundcard,amps,etc) So, should I send back the Grado 80s and switch up to say an AT 900 (keeping my 24bit SB for EAX HD when needed for speaker play) and buying like a chaintech for the digi out) or should I stick with the Grados, pick up an Xfi and game that way? What Im really hoping for is vast improvements in music AND hopefully not too much of a dropoff in games over my current speaker setup. Ill then move on to getting seperate dedicated cans for each task once money allows (welcome to head fi, time to empty out then pawn your wallet.
580smile.gif
)

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 13
Just got the A900 and it is awesome for gaming. Call of Duty 2 rocks harder than ever...you can hear trucks pull up behind you, you can hear EVERYTHING in crisp, accurate detail. FEAR was absolutely incredible. And I thought it was creepy before...

Althought I do attribute some of this to my Audigy 2 ZS with EAX 4 (must have for gaming)

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithspawn
Just got the A900 and it is awesome for gaming. Call of Duty 2 rocks harder than ever...you can hear trucks pull up behind you, you can hear EVERYTHING in crisp, accurate detail. FEAR was absolutely incredible. And I thought it was creepy before...

Althought I do attribute some of this to my Audigy 2 ZS with EAX 4 (must have for gaming)

Ok but heres the rub. Its my understanding that EAX is ANALOG ONLY and the conversion happens just prior to the 3 outs to your gaming speakers. So, what does EAX 4.0 vs EAX HD, or whichever, matter if you arent using all 3 outs on the back of the card? Ive hooked up my HT system via my soundcard before and via digital its 2 channel only and same goes if you go out of the jack (front channels) Again, not saying you arent 100% correct that it works but your claim flies in the face of everything Ive been told by numberous sources (even Creative themselves)

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't see how everyone got the notion that Grado cans are bad for gaming. I have a set of SR325s and ahve used them for gaming for more than.. four years, perhaps.
They are excellent. Awesome detail and locationing. I don't use EAX or anything like that. Just pure Stereo speaker settings and sometimes I will even set to Quad speakers depending on how the game handles it. Some games will still send rear audio to the fronts at a lower volume.. others will not so you don't hear behind you (not good)

I havn't used EAX in quite a while (I think I stopped when the older CS had issues with it on some maps). May have to see how it is now even though I don't need it.

So my question.. how did this Anti-Gradogaming thing begin?

<>BTW.. using onboard audio for over 4 years also. Was thinking of getting a cheaper Grado at some time for LANs so I don't have to take these all the time.

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashgromnies
A bit off topic, but which input on a receiver will have a DAC applied to it? Is CD a digital input?

Where the heck did that come from? Not even near topic.
Anyhoo.. only digital input (optical, SPDIF) will have a DAC on it.

Get back on topic!

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashgromnies
A bit off topic, but which input on a receiver will have a DAC applied to it? Is CD a digital input?

I believe so but as this is my first foray into digi with this receiver its hard to say for sure. There are 4 digital ins on my Marantz, 2 coax, 2 tos. They are off to the far left side of the back panel. My guess is there is a digital setting somewhere on the selections (i.e, cd,tape,dvd,fm,digital) Could be wrong though.

And side note, the Grados showed up couple hours ago. Its killing me not ripping open the box and auditioning them. (Ive been head-fi'ing since June of last year without getting any cans) Must be strong but temptation is very VERY great.
mad.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 13
wow almost a year here without purchasing anything. well if you've done it for a year I'm sure you can hold out a little longer, if you can return the Grados, and get the a900's for your gaming purposes... or alternatively keep the Grados and also invest in a pair of a900s
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_
wow almost a year here without purchasing anything. well if you've done it for a year I'm sure you can hold out a little longer, if you can return the Grados, and get the a900's for your gaming purposes... or alternatively keep the Grados and also invest in a pair of a900s
biggrin.gif

Yeah, Im darn impressed at my fortitude but now with temptation staring me right in the face, Im wilting.
My only real rush about this whole thing is that I found a really good deal on an x-fi that ends today and if the latest EAX (5.0 I believe) actually DOES something for the headphones then I should pick it up now. However, if my hunch is correct and its only CMMS (or whatever it is) that effects the headphones and NOT EAX, then there is NO reason I can see that an x-fi upgrade is needed until I actually have a 5.1 speaker setup worth the x-fi expense.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Im seconds away from tearing open these cans. Anyone have any idea what it cost to ship Grados (or anything of similar bulk) in the USA? If its < $10 I may just keep these things for an audition period.

Damn you head-fi. Making life so crazy.
basshead.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
Im seconds away from tearing open these cans. Anyone have any idea what it cost to ship Grados (or anything of similar bulk) in the USA? If its < $10 I may just keep these things for an audition period.

Damn you head-fi. Making life so crazy.
basshead.gif

Shipping is usualy under 10 bucks if you use USPS Priority Mail - more like $6-$8.

Packing material (bubble wrap, tape) may add to that cost.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Shipping is usualy under 10 bucks if you use USPS Priority Mail - more like $6-$8.

Packing material (bubble wrap, tape) may add to that cost.

Thanks. I just checked Fedex and whatnot and you are 100% right. No need for packing and such, I still got what they came in.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back