Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones.
Jan 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dubblewubble

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! This is my first post. I am 20, male, in college, and have never owned a nice pair of over ear headphones so I assume I'm in for quite a treat.

Stats: I listen to math rock, country, electronic dance music, classic rock, basically everything but rap. I don't like roaring bass, but I want to be able to notice it. I do plan on gaming and watching movies with them. My head is around 23". I have around $125 to spend, and want something for the beginner audiophile. I have been looking into ATH-M50's, AKG K240 MKII's, and AD700's for the most part.

The reason I want open-backed is because I read it gives a better sound stage, and more realistic sound, and your ears don't get as hot and don't get as much pressure.

I was set on the M50's, but I don't know how much I'll like the heat that comes with them. They have a nice build quality and would fit real nice I'm assuming. But I can sacrifice the heat if I get the most out of my phones.

The AD700's really got my attention until I found out they don't fit many people too well. If they don't give a nice seal, how much quality and I losing?

I like the K240's, but I hear AKG's lower end stuff doesn't have good build quality and their sound really isn't as great as you'd expect.

I should also add that I have a receiver/amp at my dorm with a 1/4" phones jack. The specs for the phones jack are 70 dB, 2.7 / 47 mV / ohm.
And these are the specs of the unit itself: DIN 4 ohms (1kHz) 80 W
4 Ohms 70 W RMS
DIN 8 ohms (1kHz) 60 W
8 Ohms 55 W RMS
THD at rated power 0.3%
Damping factor at 8 ohms 60

Now I'm not sure what all this means, but I think that 47 ohms is a little low to make a difference in the sound of the headphones?

With all this considered, which would be best for me? Do you have any other suggestions for around the same price?

Thank you in advance,

Buddy

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 11
the m50 is a closed back headphone. the superlux hd 668b with velour pads might be pretty good an option..

the dr 150 is another open back can to look at... but I do not think that $125 is gonna get you too many options as far as good open back phones are concerned. the fischer audio fa 011 (?) offers good open sound as well ..

at $200 dollars you can get the DT 990 pro which has some of the most convincing soundstage but you might need to invest in an amp, you can also get the AKG k501 which has one too many fans hear in head-fi(need amp as well).. some people prefer it over the K 701 even .. the sony mdr ma 900 for $195 offers some of the most amazing soundstage apparently ..

all the best & regards,

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi!  AD700 have basically everything you want, exept for the bass.  Imo, they have basically no bass when compared to my other headphones.  They fit my head well when I was listening to them.  You could give the Grado SR60i a go.  Their pretty cheap and grado's are great with rock, and their bass is good (quality over quantity).  Although they weren't very comfy on my head, and many people have the same problem.  Comfort could be fixed by buying better pads.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Hi!  AD700 have basically everything you want, exept for the bass.  Imo, they have basically no bass when compared to my other headphones.  They fit my head well when I was listening to them.  You could give the Grado SR60i a go.  Their pretty cheap and grado's are great with rock, and their bass is good (quality over quantity).  Although they weren't very comfy on my head, and many people have the same problem.  Comfort could be fixed by buying better pads.

I would consider the Grado's if they weren't on ear and had a reputation for being uncomfortable. I may try to find an audio store around me to try out some headphones!
Quote:
the m50 is a closed back headphone. the superlux hd 668b with velour pads might be pretty good an option..

the dr 150 is another open back can to look at... but I do not think that $125 is gonna get you too many options as far as good open back phones are concerned. the fischer audio fa 011 (?) offers good open sound as well ..

at $200 dollars you can get the DT 990 pro which has some of the most convincing soundstage but you might need to invest in an amp, you can also get the AKG k501 which has one too many fans hear in head-fi(need amp as well).. some people prefer it over the K 701 even .. the sony mdr ma 900 for $195 offers some of the most amazing soundstage apparently ..

all the best & regards,

Yeah, I know the M50's are closed back I was just saying that I'd consider them if all else failed. Some of your suggestions are a little on the expensive side for me, but I will definitely look for deals and check them out! Thanks!

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 11
So basically, an decent open back for $125 is a no go unless I can expand my budget? I mean, I've never owned a good pair of headphones before so maybe I shouldn't jump right into it. Maybe I'll get the M50's instead.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
 I listen to math rock
The reason I want open-backed is because I read it gives a better sound stage, and more realistic sound, and your ears don't get as hot and don't get as much pressure.

I was set on the M50's, but I don't know how much I'll like the heat that comes with them. They have a nice build quality and would fit real nice I'm assuming. But I can sacrifice the heat if I get the most out of my phones.

The AD700's really got my attention until I found out they don't fit many people too well. If they don't give a nice seal, how much quality and I losing?

I like the K240's, but I hear AKG's lower end stuff doesn't have good build quality and their sound really isn't as great as you'd expect.

Now I'm not sure what all this means, but I think that 47 ohms is a little low to make a difference in the sound of the headphones?

With all this considered, which would be best for me? Do you have any other suggestions for around the same price?

Math rock, what's that, like Ayreon?

Open air is great for sound stage. But it also means you share your sound with everyone else in the dorm. It's like little speakers with no isolation or privacy. Think about that.

M50 - Avoid. Over-priced. Really should be a $60~80 headphone. It has no sound stage to speak of. Might as well get a Hesh 2.0 here.
AD700 - Avoid. It has nothing after 100hz. It has sound stage, and clarity, but it's thin, shy, and bassless and really no fun and doesn't do music any justice. Over hyped beyond reason.

Some suggestions:

Open/Semi-open:

AKG KK240 MKII
AudioTechnica TAD500
Goldring DR150
Samson SR850
Superlux SR668B

Closed (isolation & privacy):

AKG K271 MKII
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A700X
Shure SRH440
Sony MDR7506

If you raise your budget a little, you can look into these:

Beyer DT770
Beyer DT880
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K167
AKG Q701
Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300 r2

Very best,

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Math rock, what's that, like Ayreon?

Open air is great for sound stage. But it also means you share your sound with everyone else in the dorm. It's like little speakers with no isolation or privacy. Think about that.

M50 - Avoid. Over-priced. Really should be a $60~80 headphone. It has no sound stage to speak of. Might as well get a Hesh 2.0 here.
AD700 - Avoid. It has nothing after 100hz. It has sound stage, and clarity, but it's thin, shy, and bassless and really no fun and doesn't do music any justice. Over hyped beyond reason.

Some suggestions:

Open/Semi-open:

AKG KK240 MKII
AudioTechnica TAD500
Goldring DR150
Samson SR850
Superlux SR668B

Closed (isolation & privacy):

AKG K271 MKII
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A700X
Shure SRH440
Sony MDR7506

If you raise your budget a little, you can look into these:

Beyer DT770
Beyer DT880
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K167
AKG Q701
Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300 r2

Very best,

Thanks for the response man. And when I say math rock, I mean like Giraffes? Giraffes!. Thanks for the suggestions on avoiding the M50's and A700. I am looking into your suggestions now, and if I can find them low enough, I would consider the DT770's.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 11
What a bout the HD 518 Maybe?  I know the reviews are a little Mixed but at around $80 or so (If you shop around) it might be a decent deal?  Really hard to find a great open phone in that range??

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 11
you can also try the hifi-2050 by takstar, they apparently have as good a soundstage as some of the beyers.. like malveaux said, 

you should seriously try the brainwavz HM-5, fischer audio fa-003, jaycar pro audio monitors, lindy hifi premium..

all these are same headphones and they are superlative bang for buck, their earpads are absolutely comfortable, a nice and spacious soundstage ,and great sound ..

check it out ..

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 11
you can also try the hifi-2050 by takstar, they apparently have as good a soundstage as some of the beyers.. like malveaux said, 

you should seriously try the brainwavz HM-5, fischer audio fa-003, jaycar pro audio monitors, lindy hifi premium..

all these are same headphones and they are superlative bang for buck, their earpads are absolutely comfortable, a nice and spacious soundstage ,and great sound ..

check it out ..
?

Sweet, i'll check em out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back