Alps pot question. . .
Jul 29, 2002 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I have a question about potentiometers in the meta42. I recieved an alps potentiometer. On the back, its says 125X and 50KAX2.

Now, I'm guessing this means 50K. The resistor that I was planning on using, a vishay dale, is 1.0M, because I was planning on using the imitation alps pot. So, will a 1.0M pot work ok with a 50K pot? I'm talking about the R2 position on the meta42 board, iirc.

Jul 29, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes, you have a 50K pot, and yes, 1M for R2 will work. One good reason to go beyond the recommended 500K for R2 is that it influences the input high-pass filter in a positive way. See the equation in the C1 section to understand why. At the same time, you don't want to go _too_ high...

Jul 30, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm relieved to hear that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the alps pot noticeably better than the cheap version?

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

I received some Alps Blues from Angela about a week ago....in a word, YES!!!

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 18
... and I've replaced temporarily my Panasonic with Alps Blue from local shop and some good capacitors, and I can only add - hell yes. Well, better than Panasonic, I don't know about the fake Alps...

Jul 30, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 18
mmmmk, then I guess I will wire it! Since I don't have the drop in version(you know, with the pins), I have the version with little eyes.

I can't wait!

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 18
JMT:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received some Alps Blues from Angela about a week ago....in a word, YES!!!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better soundwize?

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kheldar
I just picked up a black alps pot, are they supposed to be metal bodied? all my blue ones have been plastic.

(is it a fake? =) )

Hmm, what do you mean by metal?

My blue alps is metal with blue plastic around it. . .

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Also, kheldar, the famed "ALPS Black Beauty" is a rough 40mm cube. If you have a ~3/4" cylindrical pot, you've got a generic ALPS pot of Radio Shack quality.

Aug 1, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 18
i assume there are metal parts inside my blue ones as well, but where the blue ones i have are blue plastic cases, this black one is black enameled/painted metal.

it measures 40x34x30mm (sorry no imperial ruler) and labled 643t 250kx2

i liked the blue ones, and the black one was only $5 more, which seemed like a realy good deal... but i haven't tried it.. then again, i just found out there are actualy fake ones...

anyone have an opinion of this is too good to be true?

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Also, kheldar, the famed "ALPS Black Beauty" is a rough 40mm cube

I thought the "Alps Black Beautys" were discontinued in favor of the Blues.
confused.gif
At least that is the impression I got from Angela's website.

Aug 1, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

If you have a ~3/4" cylindrical pot, you've got a generic ALPS pot of Radio Shack quality.

Could you elaborate on that? Are you talking about those circular ones?

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 18
Yes, JMT, the Black Beauties are discontinued, but there is still old stock available.

And Andrzej, go to Radio Shack and examine the pots you find there. Some are made by ALPS. Nuff said?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back