Alphaline Studio Monitor Review (Over Ear)
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Noonar

New Head-Fier
So today I went down to K-Mart. While my Mom was getting what she needed to get, I went down to Electronics department to see what they had. Since I'm a fan of Bass heavy music, I looked at the Over Ear headphones. They had a brand exclusive to Kmart called "Alphaline". So I decided to grab the Alphaline Studio Monitors because I can't wait to get my XB300's in the mail.It costs 30 bucks, so I said why not. So that's what I'll be reviewing for you today.

Box Design: The box design is very basic, and not very eye catching, I barely noticed it for the first five minutes of browsing because of how basic the look was. But after opening it up and examining it, it is very basic. The box holds a plastic holder that holds the headphones and it simply slides out of the box. It has no papers in it; I like that. The box gives basic info about the Headphones that you might want to know.

Cable/Wire: It is 1.7 meters, A little bit over average length. It isn't nearly as long as the cable on the Sennheiser HD202's, but it is a bit long. It is very thick and orange. It is on the heavy side, but doesn't weigh down the headphones, So I have no issues with it. It has a nice gold plated jack and a gold plated 6.3mm adapter, something you don't usually find with headphones in this price range. 

Design and Build Quality: I'd like to start off by saying, these things are huge. They are ridiculously massive. But I instantly forgot about that when I put them on because they are currently the most comfortable headphones I've used so far. They are lightweight and have the perfect clamping pressure. They don't have adjustable sides like some cans do. There is part of the headband that extends and cushions your head which adjusts the size for you. I love that feature, it's great. Also, the huge earpads provide an awesome seal that blocks out about 60-75% of outside sound. Overall this design is pretty dope. The side look and feels like metal, but I can't seem to tell. My guess is that it's very solid plastic.

Audio Quality: The sound overall is pretty good. It is nothing to get excited about. The bass is very nice, but not overpowering. You can definitely tell that the bass is there though. The mids and highs are pretty muddy though.  When you listen to them, you can definitely hear that it has pretty good treble, but it's slightly washed over with bass. It might be because of the EQ on my walkman though. But overall this headphone is pretty good for any kind of music besides classical and pretty much and style of music strictly based on higher notes. 

Overall: If you have 30 bucks, go ahead and get them. They sound great and are definitely one of the most comfortable headphones You can get under 50 dollars.

I give the Headphones 8/10

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Was originally going to crack wise about "there are still K-Marts out there?" - but then read the review...:)

Quick search, and here's what I find:
http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-stereo-headphones-black-silver/p-018W005150613001P?prdNo=5
http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-digital-headphones/p-018W005156529001P?prdNo=4

I'm assuming you got the first one, right? Certainly an interesting looking pair of cans - and for $30 it's not the end of the world if they aren't world-beaters; that said, I'll have to fire up the DeLorean to go back to a time when K-Mart existed in this region if I ever want to try them...:tongue_smile:

Always curious about "obscura" like this - especially how it relates to more mainstream options; sometimes the cheap stuff gets it right, sometimes it doesn't. :xf_eek:

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Was originally going to crack wise about "there are still K-Marts out there?" - but then read the review...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick search, and here's what I find:
http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-stereo-headphones-black-silver/p-018W005150613001P?prdNo=5
http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-digital-headphones/p-018W005156529001P?prdNo=4

I'm assuming you got the first one, right? Certainly an interesting looking pair of cans - and for $30 it's not the end of the world if they aren't world-beaters; that said, I'll have to fire up the DeLorean to go back to a time when K-Mart existed in this region if I ever want to try them...
tongue_smile.gif

Always curious about "obscura" like this - especially how it relates to more mainstream options; sometimes the cheap stuff gets it right, sometimes it doesn't.
redface.gif

Yeah, if you can make it Out to a Nearby Kmart they're worth the money, especially if you're a basshead. They're very nice. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi I searching for reviews for alphaline headphones when i found your comment.  I wanted to let you know if you are still interested in buying alphaline headphones, there are several styles available priced from $5-$7 on sale at sears and kmart you don't need a time machine you can buy them online at these stores 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 6
  Hi I searching for reviews for alphaline headphones when i found your comment.  I wanted to let you know if you are still interested in buying alphaline headphones, there are several styles available priced from $5-$7 on sale at sears and kmart you don't need a time machine you can buy them online at these stores 
bigsmile_face.gif

And also don't check for availability online, the site showed them out of stock when I checked all my local Sears stores. Went to two stores and scored five of them to give them as gifts these Christmas. 

The "Studio Monitor" one sounds pretty good. (Listening to Megadeth's Rust In Peace now with them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back