ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #121 of 144
I chimed in on this thread (I think?) earlier this year about the Mil-spec Raytheon 6AK5s and I just want to reiterate that they are an awesome tube! Honestly they give the Mullards and RTCs a run for their money. If anyone else wants to try 'em look for the JRP 6AK5 which denotes the military spec. Great tubes!

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #123 of 144
Subbing to this thread. I didn't know the pan amp also use ef95.

And I'm just dropping by to help with the reanimation. :p

Reporting in to say that PM-3 + Pan Am + Mullard CV4010 = sublime and intimate mids/vocals and wonderful warm tube-liciousness.

I was listening to my PM-3s with the Voskhods and the setup didn't seem quite as good as it was with my LCD-2s.
'Islandsmoen: Requiem - Lacrymosa' was sweeping, but the altos and sopranos seemed to lose distinction.

The PM-3s with my Precision 1 sounded more refined, with a larger soundstage and the sopranos and altos singing to me from an appropriate distance.

So I popped the Mullards in and for lack of a better word, Wow. Despite the more closed in soundstage, each voice became a real person singing right there with me - mids came to the forefront with so much intimacy and live-ness that it felt like people were singing in my head, in the forward left and right parts of my brain...

Next thing to do is see what happens with a different DAC.

Caveat: this was achieved at loud o'clock on the volume knob - which needed a much bigger turn on the knob with the Mullards than the Voskhods.

May 17, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #124 of 144
Still enjoying my Pan Am, work like first day

May 18, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #125 of 144
And I'm just dropping by to help with the reanimation. :p

Reporting in to say that PM-3 + Pan Am + Mullard CV4010 = sublime and intimate mids/vocals and wonderful warm tube-liciousness.

I was listening to my PM-3s with the Voskhods and the setup didn't seem quite as good as it was with my LCD-2s.
'Islandsmoen: Requiem - Lacrymosa' was sweeping, but the altos and sopranos seemed to lose distinction.

The PM-3s with my Precision 1 sounded more refined, with a larger soundstage and the sopranos and altos singing to me from an appropriate distance.

So I popped the Mullards in and for lack of a better word, Wow. Despite the more closed in soundstage, each voice became a real person singing right there with me - mids came to the forefront with so much intimacy and live-ness that it felt like people were singing in my head, in the forward left and right parts of my brain...

Next thing to do is see what happens with a different DAC.

Caveat: this was achieved at loud o'clock on the volume knob - which needed a much bigger turn on the knob with the Mullards than the Voskhods.
Pan Am definitely scales well with a good dac. Try sylvania tube gb 5654, the best I have heard on the pan am. That is with my LCD 2 Fazor and Hek v1

May 18, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #126 of 144
Still enjoying my Pan Am, work like first day
Me too, hard to find an amplifier now that is like the pan am in terms of transportability, ability to roll tube and power. I really wonder why alo discontinued it and haven't have a really good sucessor of it.

May 19, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #127 of 144
I like the Sylvania 5654 too but my prefered are Telefunken 5654 also like the VOSKHOD Gold Grid But the telefunken are my Nb 1
I'm using it with HD800's sold the lcd 2's Loved pan am with Audeze
Alo should find a sucessor that's for shure

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #128 of 144
I checked the Sylvania''s tubes and I see on ebay green yellow and black printing

For dac I have ifi micro idac I guess I could find a newer dac that match better

May 19, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #129 of 144
I like the Sylvania 5654 too but my prefered are Telefunken 5654 also like the VOSKHOD Gold Grid But the telefunken are my Nb 1
I'm using it with HD800's sold the lcd 2's Loved pan am with Audeze
Alo should find a sucessor that's for shure
Is it the GB 5654 or just the 5654? The one I have is the gb 5654 with gold pins. I love my telefunkens too on the LCD 2 but I find them too hot on treble on some songs especially on the vocal region on my HEK v1.

May 19, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #130 of 144
I checked the Sylvania''s tubes and I see on ebay green yellow and black printing

For dac I have ifi micro idac I guess I could find a newer dac that match better
The print on my tube is silver. I currently have my eyes on Topping D90, will definitely give feedback once I tried the pairing with the pan am. I currently use my D50 on my pan am. It is very detailed dac for a good price but doesn't have that realistic feel on the music which is why I am looking for a replacement/upgrade.

May 19, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #132 of 144
The print on my tube is silver. I currently have my eyes on Topping D90, will definitely give feedback once I tried the pairing with the pan am. I currently use my D50 on my pan am. It is very detailed dac for a good price but doesn't have that realistic feel on the music which is why I am looking for a replacement/upgrade.
If you have few $ to spend try to listen iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Good matching with almost anything

Edit : Your Chord mojo should be great no ?

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #133 of 144
Same as you Vincent

May 20, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #134 of 144
If you have few $ to spend try to listen iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Good matching with almost anything

Edit : Your Chord mojo should be great no ?
Ya mojo is good for that detailed yet smooth sound, unfortunately it wont work only after a year and it has a lag while changing from one sample rate to another.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #135 of 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Back